Sick of Fusion 360 / Affordable Alternatives - Page 8
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 141 to 160 of 160
  1. #141
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Country
    POLAND
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    FreeCAD is garbage. I've tried it and several friends have tried it.

    Just like any other free opensource program, no one really puts any good stuff in it.

    It vacuums badly.........
    ChipSplitter let Me tell You something... I'm not surprized that You fell down with this software, if You only try...

    To support my words, here is satellite project:

    FreeCAD in space! - FreeCAD Forum

    and some recent one...

    call for screenshots - By Yorik - Page 7 - FreeCAD Forum

    then look on the page 9 of "Forthman" post, where is really manufactured.

    Additionally You just want to tell that Salome is "garbage" too, because it's free and open-sorce?

    In order to enlighten You a little bit: "The CEA and EDF use SALOME to realize a wide range of simulations, which typically concern industrial equipment in nuclear production plants".

    SALOME Software Suite | OPEN CASCADE

    Sorry, but just calling it "garbage" is not only disrespect for that software users, but especially those who worked to make it.
    Last edited by Intra-tech; 06-28-2020 at 08:07 AM.

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    3,904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1384
    Likes (Received)
    1585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    FreeCAD is garbage. I've tried it and several friends have tried it.

    Just like any other free opensource program, no one really puts any good stuff in it.

    It vacuums badly.........
    That is extremely uncharitable. I'm not about to switch to it as my main any time soon, but to say that it sucks and nobody "puts any good stuff in it" really just exposes your own ignorance about it.

    If you ever care to look at the source code you'll see that the foundations of it are highly competent. The CAM component (PATH workbench) is very much in it's infancy, but all the groundwork is there for it to become actually viable, and the pace of development is actually pretty remarkable.

    As far as using it goes, I'd just as soon use FreeCAD as my daily driver modeller as I would Solidworks*. There is also no reason anyone couldn't use it as their primary cad system as it's pretty feature complete, just the workflow and UI is not very appealing. That will come in time.

    *I used to love Solidworks, but coming back to it after a stint with NX, it's shortcomings become VERY apparent, and I can't help but hate it.

  3. #143
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    394
    Likes (Received)
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    That is extremely uncharitable. I'm not about to switch to it as my main any time soon, but to say that it sucks and nobody "puts any good stuff in it" really just exposes your own ignorance about it.

    If you ever care to look at the source code you'll see that the foundations of it are highly competent. The CAM component (PATH workbench) is very much in it's infancy, but all the groundwork is there for it to become actually viable, and the pace of development is actually pretty remarkable.

    As far as using it goes, I'd just as soon use FreeCAD as my daily driver modeller as I would Solidworks*. There is also no reason anyone couldn't use it as their primary cad system as it's pretty feature complete, just the workflow and UI is not very appealing. That will come in time.

    *I used to love Solidworks, but coming back to it after a stint with NX, it's shortcomings become VERY apparent, and I can't help but hate it.
    Unless they did some major changes in the past 2-3 years, it's way behind even Fusion.
    One of my friends was using it for 3D printing. Design intent was horrible. Once you modeled something, it was like pulling teeth to change anything.

    Like I said, unless they changed something...........

  4. #144
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    3,904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1384
    Likes (Received)
    1585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    Unless they did some major changes in the past 2-3 years, it's way behind even Fusion.
    One of my friends was using it for 3D printing. Design intent was horrible. Once you modeled something, it was like pulling teeth to change anything.

    Like I said, unless they changed something...........
    Not sure where you're going with that. I've been following the project on and off for about the last decade, and nothing has changed significantly about the workflow.

    With that in mind, it's a parametric modeller same as any other, and changes propagate down the feature tree same as any other parametric modeller.

    Certainly it's way behind fusion for cam*, but not really for cad. The features are there, sometimes finding them and figuring out how to use them can be quite obtuse.They need to focus on unifying and simplifying, too many functions spread across too many "workbenches", and no clear direction, which is the real curse of open source projects. I am a huge proponent of open source, but it's just a fact that large software projects need some firm leadership, and too many FOSS projects fail from lack thereof.

    * also maybe not as far behind as it appears on the surface. They have the basic toolpaths, including some promising adaptive toolpaths. They have rotary wrapping, and the underlying foundation provides all the necessary functionality for the spatial transforms and rotations and translations required to project toolpaths around multiple axis'. Those dots will get joined, just a matter of when.

  5. #145
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,429
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    394
    Likes (Received)
    638

    Default

    Listen guys, I'm not trying to pick a fight. I just stated my experience and those of my friends who tried it as well.

    If you guys want to use it, go ahead! I don't care.

    I just have a hard time figuring out why a business would waste time on a freeby program when there is way better stuff out there.

    Whatever, JMO.....

  6. Likes empwoer liked this post
  7. #146
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Posts
    4,162
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    That is extremely uncharitable.
    But accurate. Put a star on the calendar, I agree with chipsplitter.

    The part that gave it away was recommending qcad. Jesus.

    It's kinda surprising how few choices there are in cadcam now, actually. There used to be many.

  8. #147
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    3,904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1384
    Likes (Received)
    1585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    Listen guys, I'm not trying to pick a fight. I just stated my experience and those of my friends who tried it as well.

    If you guys want to use it, go ahead! I don't care.

    I just have a hard time figuring out why a business would waste time on a freeby program when there is way better stuff out there.

    Whatever, JMO.....
    You're sidestepping my point.

    I'm not about to switch to Freecad for my paying work, and I'm not advocating for anyone else to do so either - I made that completely clear.

    My point was, very simply, the project has a lot more merit than you give it credit for.

    To shit on the only possible exit from the miserable status quo purely because it's not viable yet, is shortsighted. ANY project that aims to release us from the minefield of compromises and shitty deals that is the current cadcam market deserves support and recognition, in my humble opinion.

  9. #148
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Posts
    4,162
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    To shit on the only possible exit from the miserable status quo purely because it's not viable yet, is shortsighted. ANY project that aims to release us from the minefield of compromises and shitty deals that is the current cadcam market deserves support and recognition, in my humble opinion.
    Absolutely. And as you pointed out, the base code is good - because it came from Euclid, a commercial program.

    Open sores is a great idea and I love it to death. Too bad the software always turns out to be shit. This is true of all open sores software, from Loonix on down. It was a gimmick, Linus himself said "This will never be smp" because he and it were toys ... until SGI and IBM came along and made it work for the real world.

    The underlying problem is that "developers" tend to be teenagers concerned with what's cool. They don't do quality control and they don't do documentation and they don't do what users need. They do anti-aliased fonts !! woo-hoo ! and translations of the interface to Swahili omigod ! and every kind of idiotic goofy thing you can do to a program except for making it work. Open sores quality control is abysmal.

    Yes, it's a great idea. If they would actually attend to basics and listen when machine shop users made suggestions it might even become useful. That'd be super.

  10. #149
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    3,904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1384
    Likes (Received)
    1585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Absolutely. And as you pointed out, the base code is good - because it came from Euclid, a commercial program.

    Open sores is a great idea and I love it to death. Too bad the software always turns out to be shit. This is true of all open sores software, from Loonix on down. It was a gimmick, Linus himself said "This will never be smp" because he and it were toys ... until SGI and IBM came along and made it work for the real world.

    The underlying problem is that "developers" tend to be teenagers concerned with what's cool. They don't do quality control and they don't do documentation and they don't do what users need. They do anti-aliased fonts !! woo-hoo ! and translations of the interface to Swahili omigod ! and every kind of idiotic goofy thing you can do to a program except for making it work. Open sores quality control is abysmal.

    Yes, it's a great idea. If they would actually attend to basics and listen when machine shop users made suggestions it might even become useful. That'd be super.
    Freecad uses OCCT as it's solid kernel, which did come from Euclid. A number of other dependencies can also be traced back to commercial development, like Coin3D, it's visualisation library.

    However, I was talking about the Freecad application itself - that is to say, the core application written and maintained by the original developers. It is very competently written. It all just needs some equally competent project management.

  11. Likes ChipSplitter liked this post
  12. #150
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Posts
    4,162
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    It all just needs some equally competent project management.
    But the bizarre ! the bizarre ! throw enough spaghetti at the wall and some of it has to be good, right ?

  13. #151
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post

    It's kinda surprising how few choices there are in cadcam now, actually. There used to be many.
    I'm actually surprised there hasn't been much more consolidation of CAM products - certainly, there is less consolidation of CAM than there has been in 3D Design CAD.

    Main players in 3D Design CAD: Catia, SolidWorks, NX, Creo, Inventor, Fusion, SolidEdge (I'm probably missing some)

    In CAM:
    Just within Hexagon/Vero - AlphaCAM, EdgeCAM, Machining Strategist, Peps, Radan, Smirt, SurfCAM, Visi, WOrkNC
    Currently in Autodesk - PowerMill, FeatureCAM, Inventor CAM, Fusion 360, HSM Works
    Others: HyperMill, MasterCAM, SolidCAM, Top Solid, BobCAM, Camworks, GibbsCAM, SprutCAM, Esprit, OneCNC, ZW3D, and probably others I'm forgetting.

    Compared to 3D CAD design, the CAM pond is a whole lot smaller, yet still has a whole lot more players.

  14. #152
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    833
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    270
    Likes (Received)
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    We have 12 seats of solidcam I machining. Can't go wrong there.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    I do have the 3d package and a 5 axis seat.

    They have arc smoothing and tolerances among many other features. I have 2 older (2005) 3 axis mills that run hsm tool paths on and with the right arc tolerance setting it smooths out the moves so we get no jerking.



    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    You were definitely correct. I started playing with SolidCam the other day and so far I like it and the support is great. Also it looks and feels like a proper industrial program and not like I'm playing a video game. Maybe that shouldn't matter but it does to me.

  15. #153
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    3,904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1384
    Likes (Received)
    1585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    Also it looks and feels like a proper industrial program and not like I'm playing a video game. Maybe that shouldn't matter but it does to me.
    This is something that has bothered me for a long time about Fusion.

    It's hard to make the case objectively that the UI is bad. It's fairly functional and efficient. But it doesn't feel professional/industrial. That is clearly a mental hurdle based on preconceptions of what a "professional, industrial" UI should look like, but that awareness doesn't really change how I feel about it.

  16. #154
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    12

    Default

    Hardplates,
    Im sorry Im a little late to the party, I would recommend ONECNC, they have an office just outside Cincinnati, Ohio. The tech guy there is Michael. I have been using ONECNC since XR2, now they are up to XR8, personally, XR7. At any rate it is solid software with solid tech support. I have used the stuff on an AH-HA retrofit, an Anilam Eagle, Mori seiki/ fanuc, Johnford/FAnuc, Johnford/meldas, southwest, Technics/fanuc. Never was I not able to generate a workable program.

    Give em a look if you like
    Best of luck
    Fred T

  17. #155
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    833
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    270
    Likes (Received)
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fred T View Post
    Hardplates,
    Im sorry Im a little late to the party, I would recommend ONECNC, they have an office just outside Cincinnati, Ohio. The tech guy there is Michael. I have been using ONECNC since XR2, now they are up to XR8, personally, XR7. At any rate it is solid software with solid tech support. I have used the stuff on an AH-HA retrofit, an Anilam Eagle, Mori seiki/ fanuc, Johnford/FAnuc, Johnford/meldas, southwest, Technics/fanuc. Never was I not able to generate a workable program.

    Give em a look if you like
    Best of luck
    Fred T
    I gave OneCNC a try and while it seems like a great company it doesn't offer enough control for what I do such as keeping the tool down. I do a lot of small deep pockets with high feed mills and retracting to the clearance plane after every level was a deal breaker that I couldn't look past regardless of the cost. Also the CAD part is not parametric and doesn't have lofting.

    On a positive note I just cut my first chips with Solidcam and their iMachining trochoidal toolpath is light years ahead of autodesks adaptive. Way smoother control and much less choppy finish for roughing. I had to play around with settings to get the code right for my old machines but things are looking good now.

    I should slap myself for being a cheap bastard. If I had just dropped the 15ish K on proper software years ago who knows where I would be today. Oh well, better late than never

  18. #156
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Manitoba
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    If you’re a member of the Experimental Aircraft Association you can download SolidWorks Education/Premium license for free and try it?

    I have pretty good internet and rarely have problems with Fusion. I’ve only used the solid and surface modelling capabilities though.

    Good luck!

  19. #157
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    4,930
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    881
    Likes (Received)
    2060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StevSmar View Post
    If you’re a member of the Experimental Aircraft Association you can download SolidWorks Education/Premium license for free and try it?
    Does it come with the CAM tools?

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

  20. #158
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    833
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    270
    Likes (Received)
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    Does it come with the CAM tools?

    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

    Even if it did it is my understanding Solidworks cam is pretty limited. SolidCam is a totally different company and animal that will work with Solidworks or you can get it with Solidworks imbedded into it.

  21. Likes Cole2534 liked this post
  22. #159
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    18,420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2040
    Likes (Received)
    3217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    I'm actually surprised there hasn't been much more consolidation of CAM products - certainly, there is less consolidation of CAM than there has been in 3D Design CAD.

    Main players in 3D Design CAD: Catia, SolidWorks, NX, Creo, Inventor, Fusion, SolidEdge (I'm probably missing some)

    ..........
    In the serious and capable 3D CAD area, don't ignore Alibre. It has been very usable, and has gotten a lot more capable just in the last few months. Full 3D Parametric design, like the rest.

    Local storage, no cloud nonsense, no monthly rent, optional maintenance (recommended, because you get the updates) is reasonable, has been about $500 for the seat I have. There have been, I think, 3 big updates in the past year, and a couple smaller ones, so it is worth getting maintenance.

    I've done a LOT of design work for machined parts and sheet metal, as well as a good deal of structural steel work, with Alibre. So far it has done as well as Solidworks, which I have also used. I do not think Solidworks is as easy to use.

    I have not used CAM with it, but our vendors have. Not sure what they all have, but I am pretty sure most have Mastercam. In any event, I give them an IGES file, or whatever output they ask for, plus a standard human readable drawing, and the parts come back correct per the design.

    Not sure what the "video game" appearance issue with other software is, but Alibre does not have any such feeling to me.

  23. #160
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Posts
    289
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    35

    Default

    I think alibre could be a viable option, however I chose a different route because in my opinion their CAM options are scary.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •