What's new
What's new

Simulating parts for 5 axis.

EthanW

Plastic
Hey yall, I'm new here and so if I missed a similar post etc please direct me there. I attempted to search for a similar problem, but couldn't find one. I am currently CAMing a 5 axis part in fusion 360, but I personally don't like how I can't simulate the machine in the program. Fusion said they are working on putting it into the program, but in the meantime is there some program I can use to simulate the program virtually to check clearances and stock. I am new to 4 and 5 axis programming so its a bit tough for me to visualize how the machine will move, so this would be extremely helpful as a crutch until I get that experience. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Vericut is one of the best out there,but if you're using Fusion, I doubt you'll shell out the money for it. It's expensive.

Yeah I was hoping for a free solution if possible. It may be that I just have to tough it out, but I hope someone may have an idea for me. Thanks

You've spent the bills on a 5 axis, now is not the time to cheap out. One serious crash will pay for good CAM and Vericut!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

EthanW -

The above replies are all true, but miss a subtle point I will now direct your attention to.

There are at least 3, types of "simulation"software.

1. "Solid Model Simulation With Fixtures In the CAD system" - I have no idea if Fushion has this, but it could well be what they'll be offering. The key point is that you put things like fixtures in the model, and it finds the places where you crash into the fixture. This is very worthwhile.

2. CAM based machine modeling - this is (or was when I bought it) a several thousand dollar option - and for at least some work, worth many times that. For this to work, a good model of your particular machine is required. These modules are often included in CAM, and so far as I know all of them are driven by the internal CAM represenation - they are NOT backplotters. But very useful.

3. Full on backplotter simulators - vericut probaby the most famous, but ther are others now. Serious money. And of course only as good as the model for the machine you actually have, and modeling of how the controller actually behaves.

In my experience #1 finds a LOT of problems. #2 finds a few obscure problems directly, but study of the simulation reveals other issues.

4. Some machines (DMGs with Heidenhain controllers among others) have code in the controller to prevent damaging the machine. They'll keep you from drilling a hole in the side of the cabinet with a DMU. But the one I have doesn't know about fixtures, so it won't keep you from slamming the probe body into a vise. (You don't have to ask me how I know this....)

Just model your fixturing and table configuration and you can at least detect tool/holder collisions by specifying fixtures in your setup. With the new machine definition function you can limit axis travels for your machine so the toolpath is somewhat "machine environment aware." You will not be able to detect spindle collisions but you can do things like keep the tool holder at least half the diameter of the spindle (plus some clearance) away from the table in your setup. That won't work if your part isn't far enough off the table in some cases, though. I hope that makes sense?

AFAIK the simulation will still show the tool moving with the machine definition set up, not the workpiece.

I have not used Vericut but I fell in love with CAMplete.

Consider outsourcing your verification and weigh the cost of a single crash..... To me it's preventative insurance.

You've spent the bills on a 5 axis, now is not the time to cheap out. One serious crash will pay for good CAM and Vericut!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I am almost certain this guy is running a PocketNC or similar machine.

Who would run a real 5-axis machine without simulation? I'm sure I don't want the answer to that question.

Back