What's new
What's new

Software for design

Depends on the industry in particular. Also depends on whether you are asking about OEM's or suppliers and then finally company size. Auto industry and aerospance uses a lot of NX, Creo and Catia but you see a lot of Solidworks and Autodesk in other places. Then there's everything else...

What areas of interest are you wondering about?

Every place I've ever worked, Solidworks. Most places that I've received a good model and print from, Solidworks. Most places that I've received a messed up model and print from that contradict each other, Autodesk.

Most places that I've received a messed up model and print from that contradict each other, Autodesk.

Leaving the OP aside, please explain your contradiction.
I ain't got nothing against SW, but what's up with the ADSK issue you're having?

Leaving the OP aside, please explain your contradiction.
I ain't got nothing against SW, but what's up with the ADSK issue you're having?

I'm sure it's possible to make good prints and models with Autodesk software, but every company that I've worked with that uses it manages to screw it up. It may be a corporate attitude issue. Most frequent issue has been manually changing dimensions on prints rather than updating the model, often resulting in impossible geometry. Then there's the "Oh, we can't import anything but DXF, we use Autocad!" thing. I'm sure Autocad can import several formats, they just haven't bothered to learn how.

It may be a corporate attitude issue. Most frequent issue has been manually changing dimensions on prints rather than updating the model, often resulting in impossible geometry.

Yeah, I'll give you that!

But, as you've mentioned it isn't really the software's fault, rather a fault with the policy - or lack thereof - in how a 2D drawing is handled.
True, Autodesk has made it a real clusterfuck to use AutoCAD to annotate drawings and have it still relate back to the original model, but it can be done when the proper procedures are in place.

At the same time, regardless of how the 2D drawing was created, it is a truly piss-poor practice caused by utter ignorance and indifference when someone simply edit a dimension by hand
instead of changing the geometry!
Autodesk's dimensions are in fact related to the geometry that it's attached to, but it also allows you to edit it for content.
Unfortunately, way too many assholes use that privilege as a license to be a lazy fuck and simply over type the dimension rather than actually fix the geometry instead.

Don't get me wrong, I love the freedom to do whatever I want on my 2D drawings and not be bound by strict parametric constraints and relations, but I will assure you that
each and every one of my drawings are geometrically correct and true to the n'th precision when I send them out.

As far as the importing ... Yupp, stupidity, plain and simple.
On the OPEN tab you only have DWG, DXF, DWT and DWS as an option, but that is for true ADSK products.
Other formats need to be brought in by way of IMPORT instead, and you have a shit ton of options there.

(of course it is also possible that most of those people use a pirated copy of ACAD simply because that is one of the most popular CAD programs from old, and when a hacker asked them
what CAD program to steal, all they know about is AutoCAD...)

(of course it is also possible that most of those people use a pirated copy of ACAD simply because that is one of the most popular CAD programs from old, and when a hacker asked them
what CAD program to steal, all they know about is AutoCAD...)
The reason it is popular is because they purposely did not put a dongle on it, making it simple to copy. It was only after they had the market cornered (architectural CAD, which is what they are really aimed at) that they got righteous.

You reap what you sow :)

(Back on topic, I personally like Wildfire. I-DEAS is nifty also but you only get one lifetime and that's not enough to really be proficient with two cad programs :( )

Back