What's new
What's new

Solidcam:Five axis simultaneous milling

allenp

Aluminum
Hi, I would like to know how to compensate for a fixture in a five axis milling program. I've got a 5 axis trunion table in a Haas VF2 mill, there is a vice in the machine which moves the part out of the centers of rotation (A axis tilt and B axis rotary table), I would like to know how to compensate in a Solidcam to make the milling parts 5 axis sim milling, because the part is, for example, moved, 30mm left of the center of the rotary B axis (rotates 360 degrees around Z axis) and about 40mm above A axis' center of rotation? In a Solidcam program I have to compensate for that translation from centers of rotation of axes, but I dont know how. I'm using gmill haas5x eval postprocessor.

@allenp - my 5-axis machine has elaborate position update (Heidenhain) so I am not 100% sure what you are asking - BUT
a. a good post will generate code that works with the machine
b. their tech support is decent, at least in the US (i have zero idea about Croatia)
c. "solidcam university" and "solidcam professor" are two different channels on youtube put up by different groups inside solidcam.

When you say "compensate for a fixture" - I am a little confused. When you set the coordinate system for your part, that will "set zero" - and THEN that should move with the trunnion, adjusting for how far it is from the centerline of the trunnion. (Maybe Haas does not do this for you?)

So you don't "compensate" for the fixture, the system should compensate for where the part is relative to the centers of rotation of the trunnion.

Again, I may be confused about what you are asking, or my experience with different machines may mean I really do not understand your machine.

does the machine have ALL "the bells and whistles" for 5ax work?
NGC?

does the machine have ALL "the bells and whistles" for 5ax work?
NGC?

To setup your fixture and tell SolidCAM where it is sitting on the machine for 5 axis milling you need to add the pivot point to the Machine Setup. You will see in your Machine Setup that there is a XYZ coordinate input. Depending on the version of SolidCAM you are using you can either click on a point that represents your machine's zero or you have to type it in. Again stated as previously by the other poster, sometimes your Post Processor or your machine's controller will do this for you. This pivot point entry can allow SolidCAM to calculate the 5 axis angles based on the proper kinematics of your machine.

Back