What's new
What's new

SolidWorks 2007 w/ PDMWorks

SAIPEM

Cast Iron
SolidWorks 2007 w/PDMWorks is a steaming pile of stinking S@#! .

PDMWorks no longer has a stand-alone client application.
SW Corp went and integrated PDMWorks into SolidWorks Explorer.
They also integrated the MS desktop search into SolidWorks Explorer for a real abortion.

It takes FOREVER just to load up.

Simply trying to browse the vault for documents within a project is painfully slow.
It is so slow that PDMWorks is essentially UNUSEABLE!

The previous version actually worked.
It had problems but it worked.
SW Corp has now created an "enhanced" product that is completely unuseable and therefore WORTHLESS!

The problem is not SW2007 by itself.

It is the integration of PDMWorks 2007.

BOTH are huge resource hogs and PDMWorks 2007 is so PAINFULLY SLOW that it is UNUSEABLE.

SWCorp does such a lousy job of documentation it's criminal.

ZERO documentation for PDMWorks 2007.

It's obvious to me that the people who actually build the setups for SW don't review their own tech alerts.

Apr 26, 2005 Bulletin - Applying Microsoft Hot Fix 831168 for PDMWorks on a Windows 2003 Server
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831168 ) to Windows Server 2003 SP1.

With the release of Service Pack 1 for Windows 2003 Server, Microsoft Hot Fix 831168 ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831168 ) will no longer work and cannot be reapplied. This hot fix addresses performance problems with some applications running on Windows Server 2003, including PDMWorks. Typical symptoms with PDMWorks are excessive time to login to the vault and take ownership of files, as well as high CPU usage on the server.

Workaround : For Windows 2003 Server machines which have been upgraded to SP1 and are exhibiting the performance problems described above, it is possible to use the mfc42.dll / mfc42u.dll files from the hotfix. The PDMWorks service should be stopped and these two dll files (mfc42.dll / mfc42u.dll) should be placed in the same install folder as PDMWorks vault executable, i.e. the folder where pdmwservice.exe is located. When the PDMWorks service is started up again it will use the dlls in the local folder rather than those in the c:\windows\system32 folder. This will workaround the problem, without changing any files on the Operating System which other applications may be using, until Microsoft provides a solution. The mfc42.dll / mfc42u.dll files from Microsoft Hot Fix 831168 can be downloaded from the following link: http://tsftp.solidworks.com/hot_fix_mfc42_versions.zip

Users will be prompted for username and password: Username: tftp Password: passw0rd (Note the zero after the letter �w�)
I'd love to know why SW Corp can't build this hotfix directly into the setup?

I'd also love to know why they change the install path for the server app and then don't copy the hotfix files over if you upgrade?

It is INEXCUSEABLE that they can't get this stuff right!

The reason it happens is because software companies operate on one of 2 strategies:

1) develop it right, the first time. (could take years and cost competitive advantage)

2) build it like a parameterized sketch - wrong, but close, and then "fix" (constrain) it after the fact.

One of the unwritten rules of business, is that it's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask permission.

It is INEXCUSEABLE that they can't get this stuff right!
I hate to say it, but that's the way it works in the CAD world. There is not a SINGLE product that I've used that doesn't work this way, and even worse when it's a new product or functionality.

They're just following precedent.

I know what you're saying.

It's just so damned irritating when both SOlidWorks Corp AND the VAR are constantly dropping the ball when it comes to customer support.

The worst part is seeing that smug picture of the head of SW Corp at the end of each setup.
He actually has the nerve to talk about their "committment to their customers."

Don't get too frustrated with it, SAIPEM. If you're having the problem, your customer is, too.

Just play along, and be thankful when something goes right, instead of being angry when something goes wrong.

Back