What's new
What's new

SolidWorks 2018 CAM - Lack of Dynamic/Trochoidal/Adaptive Mill Toolpaths?

Johnny SolidWorks

Hot Rolled
Hey guys - I'm currently looking at SW2018 CAM, and trying to figure out if I want to make the move to that from my current software. A couple of things concern me, and I'd like to verify them here with someone who's actually using it, because the sales guys I've been talking to seem very earnest, but not super up to speed.

One big concern is having to purchase the Pro version just to get access to 'assembly machining' - i.e. programming a part in a fixture. Another is (I think) having to purchase the Pro version to get Dynamic/Trochoidal/Adaptive toolpaths. Is this correct? That's fairly obnoxious if that's the case.

On a slightly different note: is anyone using the knowledge based machining features heavily? Opinions? The demos I've seen look pretty decent, but not as good as quite what I had hoped for the price. (Keep in mind, even the basic version of SW CAM requires you to pay the subscription fee (~$1400/year) to have access to it, unlike the SW license itself which you can drop the subscription of after the first year. Is SolidWorks KBM any better than HSM templates, or whatever MasterCAM or the other CAMs call their versions of the same functionality? How difficult is the customization of rules to actually make it useful?

Thanks all!

I got SW 2018 with CAM professional. Check the link below to see what features come with different levels (bottom of the page). You do need to get professional to get Volumil and assemblies.

I like it so far but still have a long way to go in my learning. Other than a little bit of Fusion360 I don't have anything to campare it to other than so far it has done what I want it to do. One problem is that my VAR was not a CAMworks vendor prior to 2018 so they don't know much about CAMworks either. They have supposedly since become a CAMworks vendor and I think they are ramping up. PM member Rainman seems like he knows CAMworks well maybe he will comment. He helped me a lot getting my post tweaked.

It is my hope that as Solidworks CAM is used more the knowledge base will grow.

I did not know that the CAM operation depended on my maintaining my subscription, which I plan to do.

https://camworks.com/solidworks-cam-powered-by-camworks/

One problem is that my VAR was not a CAMworks vendor prior to 2018 so they don't know much about CAMworks either. They have supposedly since become a CAMworks vendor and I think they are ramping up.

That's a very good thing to watch out for that I hadn't even thought about - thanks Pete!

Hey Johnny,
If you paid for the Solidworks CAM Professional, you will be able to use CAM Professional despite being off of subscription. One needs to be on subscription to use Solidworks CAM Standard.
BR,
Chazsani

Last edited:
Chazsani- Good info Thanks!

I was wondering do I need to continue maintenance with my local VAR or can I shop around? Looks like some of the western VAR's know CAMworks much better based on the videos I see. I meant to call one of them and ask but have not done so yet.

Hey guys - I'm currently looking at SW2018 CAM, and trying to figure out if I want to make the move to that from my current software. A couple of things concern me, and I'd like to verify them here with someone who's actually using it, because the sales guys I've been talking to seem very earnest, but not super up to speed.

One big concern is having to purchase the Pro version just to get access to 'assembly machining' - i.e. programming a part in a fixture. Another is (I think) having to purchase the Pro version to get Dynamic/Trochoidal/Adaptive toolpaths. Is this correct? That's fairly obnoxious if that's the case.

On a slightly different note: is anyone using the knowledge based machining features heavily? Opinions? The demos I've seen look pretty decent, but not as good as quite what I had hoped for the price. (Keep in mind, even the basic version of SW CAM requires you to pay the subscription fee (~$1400/year) to have access to it, unlike the SW license itself which you can drop the subscription of after the first year. Is SolidWorks KBM any better than HSM templates, or whatever MasterCAM or the other CAMs call their versions of the same functionality? How difficult is the customization of rules to actually make it useful?

Thanks all!

I am not sure what is exactly included in Solworks2018CAM but I use Camworks and I use the Volumill which is your Trochoidal/Adaptive machining. That being said Volumill was an add on that is purchased separate. Everything I program in Camworks is in assembly mode vs part mode.

With Solidworks CAM Standard, you get 2 axis milling, and *basic* 3 axis roughing/contour milling. Solidworks CAM Professional adds (the ones worth noting): Volumill, Assembly mode, and two axis lathe.

Chazsani

From what I've seen, Solidworks CAM may be a great way to get started, but if you want the kind of versatility/power that most CAM systems have, you'll likely want to go full-on Camworks. If you just need to do basic 2 1/2 axis mill work and 2 axis lathe, Solidworks CAM may be fine for you. However, if you need 3D surfacing, multi-axis milling, and mill/turn capabilities, Camworks will be needed.

Back