What's new
What's new

SolidWorks 3D drawing views keeping disappearing on save. Arghhh!!

ChipSplitter

Titanium
Like the title says, I create a drawing from a part file using "Select Bodies" to show only one part.

Everything is fine doing a 2D view but as soon as I add more than one 3D shaded view and try to save, it disappears!

All I have to do to bring it back is click on the view, switch to wireframe, and back to Shaded with Edges.

Then hit Ctrl+S and the cycle starts all over! It seems to only make problems when I have multiple views with different bodies from the same part file.

And no, it doesn't make a difference to click the "Exclude from Auto-update" box. (Coffee doesn't help either...)

The only way I can save it to a PDF is to "print" it through Microsoft Print to PDF. Then I have to try to close the file and save it when prompted. That works, thank God. :rolleyes5:

I'm at my wit's end. Anyone here have a solution? :wall:

Like the title says, I create a drawing from a part file using "Select Bodies" to show only one part.

Everything is fine doing a 2D view but as soon as I add more than one 3D shaded view and try to save, it disappears!

All I have to do to bring it back is click on the view, switch to wireframe, and back to Shaded with Edges.

Then hit Ctrl+S and the cycle starts all over! It seems to only make problems when I have multiple views with different bodies from the same part file.

And no, it doesn't make a difference to click the "Exclude from Auto-update" box. (Coffee doesn't help either...)

The only way I can save it to a PDF is to "print" it through Microsoft Print to PDF. Then I have to try to close the file and save it when prompted. That works, thank God. :rolleyes5:

I'm at my wit's end. Anyone here have a solution? :wall:

did this just start happening or always happening since the get go?

More info about your PC and SW...

PC

What graphics card, how much memory?

what version of Windows? 7, 10

have you done any updates to windows?

are you on the latest drivers for the graphics card?

SW

what version 2018, 2019, 2020 or 2021?

did this just start happening or always happening since the get go?

More info about your PC and SW...

PC

What graphics card, how much memory?

what version of Windows? 7, 10

have you done any updates to windows?

are you on the latest drivers for the graphics card?

SW

what version 2018, 2019, 2020 or 2021?

Dell Precision 3420 w/ Win 10

Radeon graphics card, not sure about drivers.

No recent major Winduhs updates (unless they sneaked one in..).

SW Professional 2020 SP3.0 (latest version)

It wasn't doing it after the last SW update a few weeks ago but now it started again....

Dell Precision 3420 w/ Win 10

Radeon graphics card, not sure about drivers.

No recent major Winduhs updates (unless they sneaked one in..).

SW Professional 2020 SP3.0 (latest version)

It wasn't doing it after the last SW update a few weeks ago but now it started again....

so this has been an on going problem then?

things like you are describing are not SW related they are graphic card issues, a Radon card is a gamer card and SW recommends a pro card. SW always seams to work better with an nvida and not AMD, at least that is my experience anyway, I run a nvida GTX 670 and run the real hack to get it to work like a pro card, it is a gamers card but never get what you are experiencing.

another question how many programs are you running?
I ask because if you have a crapload that are running that need the graphics card to run, it is starving and that can cause the SW issue.

hopefully you have enough ram on both the PC and card

so this has been an on going problem then?

things like you are describing are not SW related they are graphic card issues, a Radon card is a gamer card and SW recommends a pro card. SW always seams to work better with an nvida and not AMD, at least that is my experience anyway, I run a nvida GTX 670 and run the real hack to get it to work like a pro card, it is a gamers card but never get what you are experiencing.

another question how many programs are you running?
I ask because if you have a crapload that are running that need the graphics card to run, it is starving and that can cause the SW issue.

hopefully you have enough ram on both the PC and card

Nope, erratic.

And no, I'm not running anything else except programs like Outlook, Teams, etc.

From cruising the SW forums it seems like this is a recurring issue in multiple versions. (I don't have an account there.)

I was hoping someone here would have a nice easy fix.......probably not though. :(

I'm having trouble understanding the conditions that show up as a problem, visual images would help the impaired such as myself. It may be as len_1962 suggested. I have an older version (2014) of SW and an adequate graphics card (NVIDIA Quadro) so I may not be able to reproduce the problem. I'll take a shot at it when I have time IF your visual/explanation allows me to duplicate the conditions. Want to see the tree used for part creation as well. You can contact me off list so website bandwidth isn't clogged up too.

I'm having trouble understanding the conditions that show up as a problem, visual images would help the impaired such as myself. It may be as len_1962 suggested. I have an older version (2014) of SW and an adequate graphics card (NVIDIA Quadro) so I may not be able to reproduce the problem. I'll take a shot at it when I have time IF your visual/explanation allows me to duplicate the conditions. Want to see the tree used for part creation as well. You can contact me off list so website bandwidth isn't clogged up too.

I'll upload or send some pics next week.

I'm going on vacation.....:cloud9:

Okay, so now it quit making problems......:crazy:

Not sure if I should be glad or disappointed. Hard to fix if it heals itself. :willy_nilly:

I'll remember that about the graphics card, Len. I won't be getting a new PC right away but once I do I'll upgrade to Nvida or better.

Okay, so now it quit making problems......:crazy:

Not sure if I should be glad or disappointed. Hard to fix if it heals itself. :willy_nilly:

I'll remember that about the graphics card, Len. I won't be getting a new PC right away but once I do I'll upgrade to Nvida or better.

that right there tells me you have something you run other than SW that hogs video memory.

do you shut SW down and restart before the reboot?

do you reboot the PC when you get the problem?

do either of those fix the issue?

No idea if this will help, but it fixed some weirdo bug I was getting (but I am using 2012).

1) Go to windows ‘Start’ > type cmd

2) RMB on ‘cmd.exe’ > select ‘Run as administrator’

3) In windows explorer Navigate to <SW installation folder>, (where sldworks.exe is contained)

4) Drag and drop ‘sldworks.exe’ in command prompt and type

/regserver

Typically the command would look like

"C:\Program Files\SOLIDWORKS Corp 2013\SOLIDWORKS\sldworks.exe" /regserver

5) Press ‘Enter’ > this will register ‘sldworks.exe’

6) Reconfirm behavior.

that right there tells me you have something you run other than SW that hogs video memory.

do you shut SW down and restart before the reboot?

do you reboot the PC when you get the problem?

do either of those fix the issue?

My PC reboots automatically every night. And sometimes I have the same problem first thing in the morning with a fresh session.

My other programs are sitting here doing nothing as far as the GC is concerned. Task manager shows 2-4%.

Sometimes I have to think of this: :D

Capture.JPG

I was having issues of things vanishing on in SW2019, and poking around I found tools>systemoptions>performance>enhanced graphics performance, turned that off feature and issue went away.
More of a work around. I started digging around and saw where the IT guy who installed the pc used the existing hdmi to the new pc built in graphics. Saw the quadro card wasn't hooked up (had displayports) so went got the displayport to hdmi and turned the option on and everything worked fine after that. Somehow the onboard video and quadro were getting SW confused.

Back