What's new
What's new

SolidWorks CAM Minor Issue

maikol2346

Plastic
Hello,

I am designing a connection for a school project on SolidWorks to use on a HAAS CNC mill. I have figured out the process for the most part, however, during the simulation of the operation, there is a bit of my stock left behind.

Button Connection.JPG

As you can see, in the neck of the piece.

In order to make the neck I am using a 0.78" diameter keyway cutter with a width of 0.25". The toolpath generated by the software contains only one loop, so it only takes 0.25" of stock off the 0.30" neck, leaving 0.05" behind. I have been trying to figure out how to make it such that the tool does a second loop to remove the remaining 0.05" but so far nothing. Anyone have any tips?

Somewhere there should be a machine at multiple depths option. Or draw another sketch .05 higher and copy the operation to that. Not sure about solidworks cam as I use hsm but it should be there.

Hello,

I am designing a connection for a school project on SolidWorks to use on a HAAS CNC mill. I have figured out the process for the most part, however, during the simulation of the operation, there is a bit of my stock left behind.

View attachment 276298

As you can see, in the neck of the piece.

In order to make the neck I am using a 0.78" diameter keyway cutter with a width of 0.25". The toolpath generated by the software contains only one loop, so it only takes 0.25" of stock off the 0.30" neck, leaving 0.05" behind. I have been trying to figure out how to make it such that the tool does a second loop to remove the remaining 0.05" but so far nothing. Anyone have any tips?

So the undercut is .300" wide? If that is true, you *should be able to tell it to do a depth cut of 1 at .050", or a finish pass on the depth at .050". But, depending on the material of the workpiece, and your setup, the machine may not like taking a 1/4" wide keycutter to full depth (radially on your part) in one pass. If your setup is good and solid, maybe.

*not familiar with solidworks cam, not sure what your parameters are labeled as far as lead in / lead out, depth cuts, multiple passes, etc....

Thank you very much. Turns out I wasn't using the correct strategy and I wasn't defining my part properly.

Back