What's new
What's new

SolidWorks CAM Standard

csharp

Stainless
Now that it has been out for a couple years does anyone care to share their opinoin on the Solidworks cam standard that comes with all installs?

I just got a quote to update SW and get current and was curious what others are thinking. I do a lot of simple milling. Drill, profile, slot etc.....

Thnaks

Now that it has been out for a couple years does anyone care to share their opinoin on the Solidworks cam standard that comes with all installs?

I just got a quote to update SW and get current and was curious what others are thinking. I do a lot of simple milling. Drill, profile, slot etc.....

Thnaks

Lonnie,

it's just CAMWorks that has been around forever (first Gold Partner CAM), nothing new on how it works, just now included 2.5 axis thru SW instead of parent co.
it is feature recognition based so a little more work on the front end setting up tool crib and templates for quicker down the road programming.

Lonnie,

it's just CAMWorks that has been around forever (first Gold Partner CAM), nothing new on how it works, just now included 2.5 axis thru SW instead of parent co.
it is feature recognition based so a little more work on the front end setting up tool crib and templates for quicker down the road programming.

This. It's the same as 2.5 camworks.

Lonnie,

Len,

Does it still require a Microsoft Access Install or Run time version (historically packaged with CAMWorks) for TechDB to function?

Fred

Len,

Does it still require a Microsoft Access Install or Run time version (historically packaged with CAMWorks) for TechDB to function?

Fred

have know idea, sorry, use HSMWorks instead, It is installed but never have set anything up.

being at an University we have the full Microsoft suite of Office products.

maybe some one else knows..??

len

I have been using it for about a year. I bought SW CAM professional too, which adds some useful stuff like assemblies, turning, 4th positioning, etc. It does not require ms access to be installed separately. I think if you go to CAMworks web site you can see a breakdown of what features come with the different levels. My biggest complaint is with my VAR. They got caught up in all the autodesk buyouts. They used to rep some of the CAM's that Adesk bought so they wound up with no CAM. So the problem is that they don't really know CAMworks and are little help.

Len,

Fred

Not anymore. You can use Access, but as of version 2018, they have their own app which uses a SQLite database. Warning, though. Prior to version 2019 SP0.1, it runs very slow over a network, but OK on a local drive. SP0.1 fixed that issue, and it now runs pretty fast over a network. I'm talking Camworks here, not Solidworks CAM. So, I don't know if they've fixed that issue in Solidworks CAM.

Thnaks

It gets the job done. If you have Solidworks already then its a no-brainer to use it unless you already have some other solution. I still find myself creating sketches for driving machining features. I just can't wrap my head around the "Extract machinable features" functionality, or it doesn't work/create toolpaths as I intend it to. That could very well be me doing it incorrectly though. I have watched some tutorials from Fisher Unitech, a re-seller that seems to be putting a lot of effort towards resources for training for the free SW CAM , which not a lot of VAR's are because, well, it's free and they don't make any extra money off of it. I have used Fusion 360 for CAD, but have not used the CAM portion of it, but I have heard good things about it.

The Automatic Feature Recognition function (Extract Machinable Features) works quite well with some parts, not so much with others. With fairly simple prismatic parts, I often have to add a few features, but the ones that Camworks finds work out pretty well. Having said that, if a part is complex and oddly shaped, the features Camworks finds are mostly useless. In those cases, creating your own works better. Also, if a part is oddly shaped and complex, you may want to actually disable what the system tries to find. It causes additional rebuild time, and doesn't really help. If you want to do this, go to Camworks Options, select the Mill Features tab, and check/uncheck the types of features you want the system to find. One example for this is that we modify pistol frames for making simulators, and if I keep all feature types checked, the system thinks I"m machining everything. In fact, we're just adding some holes and slots, so the system finding all these features only adds to rebuild time and doesn't buy me anything. So, in a case like this, I uncheck all features except for holes. I get less clutter and rebuilds are much quicker.

csharp, do you mind clarifying something? I just had Solidworks quoted and was told $4k for solid works, $1300/yr maintenance. You only get CamWorks Standard if you pay for the $1300/yr subscription.

csharp, do you mind clarifying something? I just had Solidworks quoted and was told $4k for solid works, $1300/yr maintenance. You only get CamWorks Standard if you pay for the $1300/yr subscription.

Yep, that is the direction they are headed as well. There are some other parts that only work while you are current on maintenance. I don't know the entire list.
I will say this crap is getting old. A couple of years ago they took away the 2 installs.
So SW has a back pay policy on all maintenance up to the value of a new seat which is basically subscription and now products that only work while current on maintenance. If you buy cam professional it is perpetual.

Back