What's new
What's new

Solidworks Certification

capital7

Cast Iron
Hello everyone,

I'm almost 18 (Age required to get Solidworks certified) and was wondering if its worth it, and what to expect of the exam?

Any help or insight would be fantastic!

Thanks,
Taylor

Hello everyone,

I'm almost 18 (Age required to get Solidworks certified) and was wondering if its worth it, and what to expect of the exam?

Any help or insight would be fantastic!

Thanks,
Taylor

For you being so young it is I would say.. I got mine later really didn't help just a "wow"

It's not difficult youtube has videos on what to expect

It depends on the job. Some places are really into having all sorts of degrees and certification, some could care less as long as you can do the work. I have a cert from the US department of labor for the tool and die apprenticeship. I can only think of one, maybe two places that were interested in seeing it. I also have a "certification" from Mastercam, of which no one has ever asked to see (troll on :D).

It depends on the job. Some places are really into having all sorts of degrees and certification, some could care less as long as you can do the work. I have a cert from the US department of labor for the tool and die apprenticeship. I can only think of one, maybe two places that were interested in seeing it. I also have a "certification" from Mastercam, of which no one has ever asked to see (troll on :D).

The shop I work at now found me through the highschool robotics team I was a part of, hired me on the spot without a resume or interview, and don't think I need to go to college, so it's not necessary for this job, but later down the road, I was thinking it might be a good thing to have/put on a resume if I ever want to work for a larger company.

The shop I work at now found me through the highschool robotics team I was a part of, hired me on the spot without a resume or interview, and don't think I need to go to college, so it's not necessary for this job, but later down the road, I was thinking it might be a good thing to have/put on a resume if I ever want to work for a larger company.

Don't only do it for a "resume builder" do because you want to and get the company to pay for it. If not do it yourself/pay it yourself.

One guy I recall was solidworks certified at the time could barelly model a cube while on the other we had kid around your age that knocked out 3D models fast and that's what we cared about.

Don't only do it for a "resume builder" do because you want to and get the company to pay for it. If not do it yourself/pay it yourself.

One guy I recall was solidworks certified at the time could barelly model a cube while on the other we had kid around your age that knocked out 3D models fast and that's what we cared about.

If I do get it, I'll be paying for it myself, since its not required. Also, it looks better when customers come into the shop and find out that a kid is the one designing their $20,000+ molds, if I have some sort of credibility, I know that if I were to see that, I would be skeptical...

If I do get it, I'll be paying for it myself, since its not required. Also, it looks better when customers come into the shop and find out that a kid is the one designing their $20,000+ molds, if I have some sort of credibility, I know that if I were to see that, I would be skeptical...

If you say so.. Paying it for yourself then do see the invest of worth well? More Money Now or Later? If not make them pay for it.

You don't have to worry about what the customers think that is your highers up to worry about if the customers complain enough that you're not "certified" you will be and they will pay it for.

If they are worried about how it looks having a young kid draw their parts, let them pay for the cert. If they aren't worried, you shouldn't be.

If you're doing it for the knowledge, it might be worth paying for it yourself but I'd still try to get them to pay for it.

Teryk

If you say so.. Paying it for yourself then do see the invest of worth well? More Money Now or Later? If not make them pay for it.

You don't have to worry about what the customers think that is your highers up if the customers complain enough that you're not "certified" you will be and they will pay it for.

Alright, thanks

I'll talk to my boss about it, see what he has to say about it.
From what you stated there doesn't seem to be much of an advantage rather than having the piece of paper though right?

Alright, thanks

I'll talk to my boss about it, see what he has to say about it.
From what you stated there doesn't seem to be much of an advantage rather than having the piece of paper though right?

Correct, I believe it started for a way to test the VAR Techs to basically say we are certified via Solidworks well in reality it means basically nothing then Solidworks started included the "test credits" with maintenance packs for customers..

I'm speaking from experience I paid for it myself and didn't help me one bit, you being young I think you could spend the money better elsewhere. This was all going on when I tried to become an applications engineer at a reseller to prove I know what was doing hoping to get a better starting salary but every reseller I talked/interviewed with started you at $30,000-$35,000 lol

It's more for your confidence than anything else.

As for the test, if you can design parts with variables and design tables, then simple assemblies/mates, you'll do fine.

Correct, I believe it started for a way to test the VAR Techs to basically say we are certified via Solidworks well in reality it means basically nothing then Solidworks started included the "test credits" with maintenance packs for customers..

I'm speaking from experience I paid for it myself and didn't help me one bit, you being young I think you could spend the money better elsewhere.

Okay, thank you very much. If my boss sends me for it on the business account I'll get it.

Okay, thank you very much. If my boss sends me for it on the business account I'll get it.

You meant have test credits right now.. you need to login and look on mysolidworksspam.com or something like that and just takes the test right there on the computer no need to go anywhere.

Around here is seems to be a "thing" I know several places that advertise the fact that designers are certified. I did it as a structured way to improve my skills. It's hard for me to just focus on learning something without a goal, either work that is in front of me that needs to be done or a test that I need to pass. Product of too many years of school maybe...or I just have too much to do and the test helps me prioritize things.

I've learned far more outside of the formal certification process but it does help.

Around here is seems to be a "thing" I know several places that advertise the fact that designers are certified. I did it as a structured way to improve my skills. It's hard for me to just focus on learning something without a goal, either work that is in front of me that needs to be done or a test that I need to pass. Product of too many years of school maybe...or I just have too much to do and the test helps me prioritize things.

I've learned far more outside of the formal certification process but it does help.

I just finished my 14 years of school two weeks ago so I don't think a test is a good incentive (I didn't enjoy school very much) I guess I could have mentioned that the area I live in lacks in skilled workers. Most of the smarter students leave for university (As I would have if the shop I now work for didn't approach me first) and what's left, well... leaves much to be desired...

I took the CSWA after taking the SW essentials class. My reseller offered the class for free then during the class I learned that with the subscription there were a few vouchers for exams.
I took it just as a test for myself, it was not required. There are a few sample exams online that are free and I think helped prepare me for the actual exam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A design portfolio means far more than any certification. Some of the worst designers (and engineers) I've ever dealt with were all certified to the moon, but couldn't get anything accomplished on their own. A certification only means you passed a test one day...it DOESN'T mean you can apply the tool (software) to create a cost effective and successful design, part, or product.

So, focus on the being damn good at the simple stuff you're given now, and you'll be rewarded with more complex and difficult jobs...and that content and progression in your design portfolio will mean more than any certification.

I have a young graduate engineer using SolidWorks right now. I am pretty sure he was shocked by how little he really knew when he cane here. Having used Rhino, Autocad, Solid Edge, Solid Works for a long time it is amazing how much more there is to know than modeling parts and assemblies. 3D modelers are databases and need to be managed that way. Data normalization, part numbering, creating parts and assemblies in ways to improve the manufacturing process are way more important than modeling skills.

It wouldn't hurt to take that class. You may pick up a few key skills that you may not learn any other way. The certification doesn't mean anything from what I've seen.

The only way to get good at CAD is to put in a lot of hours. Back when I was learning I would spend tons of my free time doing CAD. I liked it though, so it didn't really feel like work. If you like it, fricken go balls to the wall and do it as much as you can. Try and draw difficult things so you get stuck a lot. If you're into knives or guns or whatever, try and design your own stuff.

A big part of learning Solidworks is learning what not to do. You'll know you're doing a good job if your models don't take nine years to rebuild and SW isn't crashing all the time.

Back