What's new
What's new

Solidworks ordinate arc length

deljr15

Cast Iron
As the title says. Is it possible? If so how?

I have a drawing where I will need to place ~40 arc lengths. This would be much easier if I can do it in an ordinate style.

That is correct, will put a little curved line above it so you know it is arc length.

I know how to make an arc length.

The point of this was to see if it is available in the ordinate style.

approx 40 dims per part, 150 parts, 3 clicks per dim. = bad time + cluttered print

Oops, i misread your question. Not possible as far as I know.

Depending on what youre doing you can cheat to get past all the dimensioning, but requires setting things up in the beggining.

For instance: Make part. Make drawing. Save copy of part and drawing, then break the link to the original part and reattach to copied part. This only works for similar parts though. Plus it sounds like you are past this stage.

Also, i think there is a way to tag certain dims in the part file so that they are automatically dimensioned on the drawing.... but you have to set it up that way. Either way i can tell, you need to start clicking.

Problem is I am using customer supplied models. Bent extrusion need to have something for the guys to check parts with. They will be laying a tape measure down the part so the ordinate style would work really well.

I have had some ideas on a work around. If I can get it to display a calculated value next to the ordinate angle dim I could make that work.

Any ideas on that? Think dual dim with the second dim being a formula.

You would have to place a sketch point along the arc where you wanted to mark a dim, then arc length to the mark. There is no "canned" way to do this as far as I know.

Did you ask on MySolidworks forums?

I tried a few things, but couldnt get anything to work that was faster than just dimensioning every arc manually.

If you find a way to use the formulas, especially in the dual dim format, or possibly a gdt callout let us know. I wasnt able to get either to work on my older solidworks (2010).

Did you ask on MySolidworks forums?

I have. The only response I got was to hide the original dim and place a note in its place. The note could then contain the formula. This however would be more clicks then just making the arc lengths to begin with. As a note would need to be created and linked to each node of the running dim.

I will be submitting a enhancement request on this topic. Hoping to find a work around in the mean time.

That sounds like quite a chore. Thanks for sending in the request, I've never needed to do this but someday I might.

Back