What's new
What's new

SolidWorks problems

i_r_machinist

Titanium
SW16. I'm trying to bring in a 5/16-18 cap screw from my toolbox. I get these two errors. The screw heads are twice the size they should be. It's like the equation is taking a diametric number and useing it as a radius.
Any Ideas?
Thanks in advance
i_r_

Attachments

• SW error.jpg
    SW error.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 213
  • SW error 2 .jpg
    SW error 2 .jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 126
Problems like this could happen when SW is upgraded to newer version but the toolbox is still the old one.

I have never utilized the "Toolbox", seemed like a pain, errors, some machine/stations didn't have it, etc.

I use the models McMaster provides, maybe the toolbox is faster/more convenient?

SW toolbox is convenient but very often creates problems when opening an older file in a newer version. I do use the toolbox but save the toolbox files as copy to a new file with a new name (for example "M6x25 socket head") in the assembly directory. This way I do not relay on the SW toolbox in the future or when sending the files to other users.

What Kyle said. I've never gotten consistent performance from the toolbox. I have my own "toolbox" folder with everything downloaded. Doesn't take much time to build up what you need from Mcmaster.

can I ask why you guys use such a detailed model of a screw?

I often do SW designs with hundreds,sometimes more than thousand parts. Fasteners, bearings, retaining clips and other parts are included in the assembly and in order for all to fit without conflicts and interference all parts must be the correct size. In many instances the manufacturer supplies the solid model of the part - for example Misumi, Swaglock, Bimba, Carr Lane, Kurt J. Lesker, Edmund Optics and many, many other are among the ones I use frequently. But for fasteners and similar small stuff it is easy to have it all in one place and just to drop it in the assembly.

Solidworks toolbox is a pain. If you dont have the same toolbox as someone else it becomes a real issue when working on group projects. Ive always just saved the hardware I want from McMaster and usually suppress the threads.

I use to use fusion 360 but got sick of all the short comings such as downloading screws and/or figuring out the correct length.

Got solidworks right after IMTS and use Toolbox all the time but I move the tool box location to my onedrive account/folder that all the computers share.

Back