SOLIDWORKS Tips & Tricks - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thunderskunk View Post
    You can copy and save the shortcuts list into excel, but if you switch between versions of SW, you’ll have different numbers of shortcuts and it won’t translate nicely (sucks when an update deletes your shortcuts...)
    -This is the very reason I don't use hotkeys or many shortcuts. For those of us that work under contracts it means a different company every couple of years that may not be the last version (or the previous CAD program) you worked with. For those that experience the yearly update to the program it means all those hotkeys/shortcuts you've developed will likely be wiped out in the new version. I mostly use the program out-of-the-box to avoid the need to re-learn it every time. Likely started that habit with Pro-e 2000i with the drop down menus before it went to icons. Not knocking those that work with hotkeys/shortcuts, they're a great time saver but not really an option for me. Good thread and contributions, I like to see the methodology of others even if I don't use the info.

2. Likes ChipSplitter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AD Design View Post
    -This is the very reason I don't use hotkeys or many shortcuts. For those of us that work under contracts it means a different company every couple of years that may not be the last version (or the previous CAD program) you worked with. For those that experience the yearly update to the program it means all those hotkeys/shortcuts you've developed will likely be wiped out in the new version. I mostly use the program out-of-the-box to avoid the need to re-learn it every time. Likely started that habit with Pro-e 2000i with the drop down menus before it went to icons. Not knocking those that work with hotkeys/shortcuts, they're a great time saver but not really an option for me. Good thread and contributions, I like to see the methodology of others even if I don't use the info.
    You do know how to backup your settings, I hope..?? Make sure you select all the check boxes to save all your settings.
    It's not bulletproof, but it has always kept my customization intact even when upgrading to a new year.
    The only things it occasionally misses IME are some settings such as file locations and rebuild warnings, etc.

4. Likes AD Design, AARONT liked this post
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Friggin awesome. The tapatalk “snapshot” of this thread is the picture of my computer just before I caught it on fire.

Brilliant. Salt in the wound. My own dang fault.

6. Likes TeachMePlease, AD Design, mountie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    You do know how to backup your settings, I hope..?? Make sure you select all the check boxes to save all your settings.
    It's not bulletproof, but it has always kept my customization intact even when upgrading to a new year.
    The only things it occasionally misses IME are some settings such as file locations and rebuild warnings, etc.
    -Yes, I know how to save my settings but sometimes a new assignment has me working with an entirely different program (Pro-e, Inventor, Creo, Catia, UG, etc.) for a couple of years. For my small brain it's better to simply work the sequence long-hand to remember the commands that went into the hotkey. Yes I still have vinyl records, VHS tapes, and a rotary dial phone too.....

Thank you for mentioning it anyway.

8. Likes ChipSplitter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Friggin awesome. The tapatalk “snapshot” of this thread is the picture of my computer just before I caught it on fire.

Brilliant. Salt in the wound. My own dang fault.
    It's a Lenovo. Whad'ya expect.....

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's a Lenovo. Whad'ya expect.....
    I actually can’t remember, but it might have been a Dell. Regardless, I was an engineer with no computer for some time, which meant I had 10 hours a day to dedicate to getting the dang thing fixed. Turned out it was under warranty, but took me many many calls to get them to do something about it. After waiting three weeks for the new GPU and with all the engineers crowded around to watch me unbox it, I found a friggin motherboard instead.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm so happy we moved all the workstations into the server room and virtualized everything.

We have had some issues with coolant in fans on gpus in the past. Not anymore!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use the MX Master as well. I really like it, but with 3 programmable buttons plus 4 gestures plus my 8 SW mouse gestures I get a bit overwhelmed with options....
    I did remap my fwd/back buttons once, but it drove me nuts when I was using File Explorer and jumping between folders. Whatever works best for you, I guess.
    My number one favorite thing about SW is the level of user customization there is for commands.
    The only downside is if I were to jump on one of you guys' computer I would be lost instantly.
    Logitech options software lets you customize per software, so I can still have my fwd/back buttons be fwd/back in everything except Solidworks.

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How many people are using multi body parts to create all the part files for a single assembly?

I started doing this almost exclusively. If it’s simple, I use three sketches to pretty much define everything with a lot of projected geometry to ensure I only have to change something once. I extrude to and from a vertex whenever possible.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How many people are using multi body parts to create all the part files for a single assembly?

I started doing this almost exclusively. If it’s simple, I use three sketches to pretty much define everything with a lot of projected geometry to ensure I only have to change something once. I extrude to and from a vertex whenever possible.

One vote here.

It is the best way to keep design intent for multibody parts IMO.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BugRobotics View Post
    Another quick tip is to turn on dynamic relationships in parts to show what features are influencing other features. Helpful to track down issues when your feature tree starts to get larger.

Here's what it looks like in action...

Attachment 290625

To turn on, right click on the part name in the feature tree and click the two buttons highlighted yellow in the image below.

Attachment 290627
    just tried doing this on a fresh install of 2020, didnt change anything. will it retroactively show the relationships or do you have to turn it on before drawing anything?

never mind, just figured out you have to hover over a feature/sketch for it to show the relationship.

16. Likes BugRobotics, rcoope liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More and more for me but particularly where the parts are intimately related to each other. In the long essay I wrote above, the reception screen frames and panels are weldments, that are one part but we have various mounting parts that we've been able to reuse, so it's good they are separate parts. The one downside of multibody parts is it makes your custom properties and BOM more tricky. I still need to figure out if I can create custom properties for bodies to better populate a BOM. It's probably also true that if you want anything in your design to move, you'd best use an assembly.

If you watch Spanner Design episode 4 right here: YouTube he shows how you might formalize a mixture of master sketches and multibody parts. I'm realizing this might be a great way to go for furniture. where your carcase is one multibody part, each drawer is one, they share master sketches to control the overall dimensions, but in an assembly, they can move with drawer slides if you so desire.

18. Likes ChipSplitter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rcoope View Post
    The one downside of multibody parts is it makes your custom properties and BOM more tricky. I still need to figure out if I can create custom properties for bodies to better populate a BOM..... It's probably also true that if you want anything in your design to move, you'd best use an assembly.
    You can fill out cutlist properties for each body such as Desc., Mass, Revision, Material, etc.
    (Expand the Cutlist folder in the FeatureTree, right-click on an item and click "Properties". )

Then make a BOM template with columns for the desired cutlist properties, not file properties. Save the template for multibody part usage only.

And yes, for moving parts you will need an assembly. You can use Move/Copy Body in a pinch, but it's not nearly as nice.

20. Likes thunderskunk, rcoope liked this post
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can fill out cutlist properties for each body such as Desc., Mass, Revision, Material, etc.
    (Expand the Cutlist folder in the FeatureTree, right-click on an item and click "Properties". )

Then make a BOM template with columns for the desired cutlist properties, not file properties. Save the template for multibody part usage only.

And yes, for moving parts you will need an assembly. You can use Move/Copy Body in a pinch, but it's not nearly as nice.
    Ooh. I like this. I didn’t realize this was something I wanted, but I do and I know it exists now. Outstanding.

22. Likes ChipSplitter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ooh. I like this. I didn’t realize this was something I wanted, but I do and I know it exists now. Outstanding.

SolidWorks can do anything.

You just need to find the right button.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I work with a lot of imported geometry. Delete and move face(s) are surprisingly well working tools (they have also improved over the years). I've had people multiple times watched shocked when I just simply delete and patch a radius, move a face 1mm and add the radius back in.

25. Likes rcoope liked this post
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

SolidWorks can do anything.

You just need to find the right button.
    Wellllll... see previous post where I caught a workstation on fire. I also think 3D sketching isn’t there. I try it out every few years, but its just too buggy for me. It has specific purposes for particular features, but doesn’t replace the old fashioned 2D sketch. At least not yet.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wellllll... see previous post where I caught a workstation on fire. I also think 3D sketching isn’t there. I try it out every few years, but its just too buggy for me. It has specific purposes for particular features, but doesn’t replace the old fashioned 2D sketch. At least not yet.

Yes, that's what I mean. It can even ignite your computer.

I personally don't like 3D sketching because of the difficulty of defining entities and aligning to the desired axis. The only time I use it is to put a round weldment inside a hole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, that's what I mean. It can even ignite your computer.

I personally don't like 3D sketching because of the difficulty of defining entities and aligning to the desired axis. The only time I use it is to put a round weldment inside a hole.

The way I do a 3d sketch is to make a solid first and then convert geometry in the 3d sketch. Then that solid drives all the dimensions in whatever assembly I am using it in. It just remains hidden. I use this method for places where there is a ton of weldments.

Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And that’s just it; 3D sketching is a secondary tool, to be used in conjunction with 2D.

If VR drafting starts to take off, I think said system would need to have 3D sketching as the primary feature driver. I saw it a few times where a company made a 3D pdf and had dimensioned labeled as such, regardless of the fact that it could have been just as easily drawn in 2D. I think there’s a lot of potential for an earth-shattering discovery there, like CNC versus manual or impact drivers versus drills.

Dreamers can dream.