What's new
What's new

Subscription - Inventor

I've worked with Inventor for years before and once you're acclimated it's very powerful.

The "rental" model is one I'm not familiar with and don't care for. To each his own.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

For me Inventor is maybe a step above Solidworks but more cumbersome to learn, So I weigh the benefits out. Inventor is part of Autodesk and all of their stuff is going subscription based and cloud based. Inventors best deal is $5K a year verses Solidworks is a one time $4K (Unless you want yearly maintenance). So at the end of three years you have a non working version of Autodesk verses a working version of solid work with no maintenance.

Solidworks is by far more popular so finding work would be almost instant verses Inventor is loosing ground fast so you may not even find a company using it in your town. Oh, and as I mentioned earlier,,, "Cloud based". All Autodesk product are going cloud based and AD has made it quite clear that they have no intentions on being ITAR compliant with their servers. This means, If you plan on doing anything for the government or government contractors ITAR related you SOL. Even a basic NDA agreement could be violated since you are sharing intellectual property with a 3rd party.

As you can see on here (PM) most members are pissed at AD for doing this. Many of us here have purchased softwares under Delcam, and Engineering Geometry Systems only for AD to scoop them up and stop upgrading yet make you pay a stupid amount each year. For example, My personal seat of Featurecam. This year they wanted $1500 to continue maintenance but not a single upgrade or enhancement aside from being able to import a vice! The only thing paying maintenance was good for was to make you eligible to purchase Partmaker 2018 as a module!!

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear but dig deep before diving in. If it's a money thing and can't afford all at once then Solidworks has a rental version also.

Thanks g-code. I wasn't aware Solidworks was offering the subscription model as well. I have used both Solidworks & Inventor, but would probably go for Solidworks due to popularity of it over Inventor. I am in a start up mode, so costs come into play. I submitted a quote request from Solidworks, so I will have to wait and see what costs they come back with. Autodesk has Inventor for $250/month, discounts for a full year payment works out to be $165/month .

I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Thanks g-code. I wasn't aware Solidworks was offering the subscription model as well. I have used both Solidworks & Inventor, but would probably go for Solidworks due to popularity of it over Inventor. I am in a start up mode, so costs come into play. I submitted a quote request from Solidworks, so I will have to wait and see what costs they come back with. Autodesk has Inventor for $250/month, discounts for a full year payment works out to be $165/month .

I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Software in Product Design & Manufacturing Collection

I would get this instead about $300/mo

Just moved the High School FIRST robotics team from Inventor to SolidWorks. Simple economics. Coming out of school and having real 3D modeling experience do you want experience with a product rapidly loosing market share or the one that dominates the market?

Back