What's new
What's new

SW CAM / Order of operations

motofish84

Plastic
Hoping to gain some insight from programmers and operators. I am using Solidworks / SWCAM....I am new to creating CNC milling tool path programs. Have done a couple but they have all been one or two sided.
My experience comes from designing and manually machining components with fairly simple to mid level complexity. I designed this component as part of an indexing mechanism for a machine that is in progress. The rough stock dimensions are 1.75"x1.75"x3.75". Finished 1.5"x1.5"X3.5"

Pivot Snip.JPG

I don't know what I don't know...so I am having trouble determining the best order of operations in milling this component on our HAAS 3 Axis with a single Kurt DX6 vise. I guess the struggle at this point is the .050" chamfer. But I am also looking for suggestions on the order of operations. My initial thought was to machine the top hole pattern, center bore and perimeter contour and vertical radius with an "avoid area" on the horizontal radius. Then rotate the part 180* locate off of the 1/2" bore machine the 1" counter bore and perimeter chamfer in the non avoid area. Rotate 90* and machine the horizontal radius and chamfer then rotate 180* and finish the final chamfer....does that make sense? Am I going about this in the wrong way or making it herder than it has to be?

Thanks for any help

Tyler

MY .02 Cents!

GO FOR IT!

then you'll know, only way to learn.

GO PACK GO!

fellow Cheesehead now in AZ.

I can't quite tell what's going on with your part based on the image. Regardless, I don't think anyone else can tell you this. I have some parts that I make as part of one of my own products. The order of machining and tweaking never ends. Every time I make them I see something that I think may be a little better regarding the tool paths or the order.

As Len_1962 said- go for it and almost for sure you'll figure out a better way the second time.

Thanks to you both.

Pete, I added transparency to the part just so the internal features were visible.

The problem I’m stuck on is the chamfer and how to stop it and pick it back up through each operation

The problem I’m stuck on is the chamfer and how to stop it and pick it back up through each operation

I will cut chamfers on parts using 3D toolpath so I do not have to flip the part just to use a chamfer mill.

so if you split the chamfer at the tangency and then when you pick the face you are only cutting half and not trying to roll under.

but this part is a 4 sided flipper because of the chamfer, 3 sided if your good with a file :D , sorry just some model maker humor.

by the way where you from in the land of CHEESE??

The chamfer is simple. Create a path that resembles a very tall letter U and then you can run that one toolpath on all 4 sides.

Thanks guys, I will take all the help I can get. Like I said, I don't know what I don't know. Not sure If SW CAM will do 3d tool pathing....I know I've never done it but I can usually stumble my way through new "stuff"

Len...I hail from SE WI - Waukesha Co.

Hoping to gain some insight from programmers and operators. I am using Solidworks / SWCAM....I am new to creating CNC milling tool path programs. Have done a couple but they have all been one or two sided.
My experience comes from designing and manually machining components with fairly simple to mid level complexity. I designed this component as part of an indexing mechanism for a machine that is in progress. The rough stock dimensions are 1.75"x1.75"x3.75". Finished 1.5"x1.5"X3.5"

View attachment 334694

I don't know what I don't know...so I am having trouble determining the best order of operations in milling this component on our HAAS 3 Axis with a single Kurt DX6 vise. I guess the struggle at this point is the .050" chamfer. But I am also looking for suggestions on the order of operations. My initial thought was to machine the top hole pattern, center bore and perimeter contour and vertical radius with an "avoid area" on the horizontal radius. Then rotate the part 180* locate off of the 1/2" bore machine the 1" counter bore and perimeter chamfer in the non avoid area. Rotate 90* and machine the horizontal radius and chamfer then rotate 180* and finish the final chamfer....does that make sense? Am I going about this in the wrong way or making it herder than it has to be?

Thanks for any help

Tyler

Machine the top holes like you said and profile first. Create a profile that mills around the entire part leaving .01 stock on the right edge where the side radius is. After you profile that part copy the toolpath by highlighting the operation and holding your control and dragging your curser down. This should copy the operation and allow you to change the tool to a chamfering tool.

Second position is to flip the part over and machine the rest and add your c'bore. Chamfer the back side the same way you chamfered the front side.

Third position is to stick the right side outside of the vise or use soft jaws to machine the third radius and blend it with the face that has all the holes. There you can chamfer the remaining portion of the part and finish the 3 thru holes.

So I am back on this project.

I'd like to machine the .500' bores through the material on the first OP and third OP. This way I can generate my work coordinates off of these holes when flipping from op1 to op2 and op3 to op4.

What would you guys recommend for boring this through. The stock is 1.600" x 1.600"

Was thinking of roughing it out with a .375" EM w/ 2" LOC. But I am concerned this will be inadequate in terms of rigidity.

I could drill it progressively but that may not have the precision I'm looking for.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!

So I am back on this project.

I'd like to machine the .500' bores through the material on the first OP and third OP. This way I can generate my work coordinates off of these holes when flipping from op1 to op2 and op3 to op4.

What would you guys recommend for boring this through. The stock is 1.600" x 1.600"

Was thinking of roughing it out with a .375" EM w/ 2" LOC. But I am concerned this will be inadequate in terms of rigidity.

I could drill it progressively but that may not have the precision I'm looking for.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!

what's the tolerance need for the .5 bore?

just drill with 1\2 drill or drill and ream (smooth) to save time, if no reamer drill .375 and use the bore toolpath and helical the bore with your .375 X 2 inch EM.

what's the tolerance need for the .5 bore?

just drill with 1\2 drill or drill and ream (smooth) to save time, if no reamer drill .375 and use the bore toolpath and helical the bore with your .375 X 2 inch EM.

I'd be happy with +/- .002. There's a pin that will slip fit that bore on final assembly. I want to use it to locate subsequent operations so I'd like it to be as tight as possible so my chamfers and other features line up. With that I'd say +/- .001/2 should be doable

I'd be happy with +/- .002. There's a pin that will slip fit that bore on final assembly. I want to use it to locate subsequent operations so I'd like it to be as tight as possible so my chamfers and other features line up. With that I'd say +/- .001/2 should be doable

then drill and ream with a dowel pin reamer, .501

Back