What's new
What's new

Teaching Fusion 360 to Teenage Sons

munruh

Hot Rolled
Yes, I like Fusion 360. We do use Gibbs extensively also. My teenage boys mess around on Fusion but are not real proficient. They have a few of their own projects they want to do after hours. What's the best way for them to learn it? Youtube videos? is there some kind training course?

There are lots of Youtube tutorials and so on floating around! Definitely the best way for them to get into it is to have a specific project they want to do, and then look up how to do things as they work through that project.

There is a decent intro video here to get them started: YouTube

Have they gone through the in-program tutorials? Not a bad place to start. I like watching Youtube videos where I constantly find tricks I didn't know about, or other ways to approach creation of complex geometry, etc.

As much as his personality grates on some folks, Titan Gilroy has the Titans of CNC Academy that is free online and has a great crawl/walk/run progression through print reading, modeling, and programming. I have gone through a couple just to see how someone else approaches certain aspects of the print to model step, specifically. I've even cut a couple to dial in speeds and feeds for my machine with different workholding setups and tools.

youtube is a big one guy named Lars, and I may get shamed for this but Titan has the free academy. I know most don't like him but his program goes through a lot of things one would use on the job. I'm not on his bandwagon with posters and a shirt I support what he is doing.

fusion

Lars Christianson is his Name, look at his you tube channel .
He starts at the beginning and goes right to manufacturing (cam)
he is really good and has a lot of practical knowledge
defiantly worth a look

like anything, they are kids and beat XBox games in like a night so tell them that Fusion is a video game and it's Call of Duty.

seat time and plugging away, making mistakes and figuring out why the cutter blasted thru the wall or wouldn't cut.

same way we had to figure that shit out when there was no YouTube.

this is how I instruct our students here at ASU in CAD and CAM and how to manual machine.

and I tell them you aint learnin if your not making mistakes.

so coming from an education position the last 2 years, one of the challenges with titans academy is outdated video content with some of the recent updates from auto desk. some students struggled with finding the symbols on the video that moved with a recent update. not titans fault but it does pose a problem for him going forward(i think)

Lars is probably the better of the 2 but then again, i believe he works for autodesk so he can produce up to date material too

NYC CNC has a lot of F360 videos, they're more project orientated but once they get a handle on the basics seeing how he approaches a part and some of the operations they should be able to apply it to their own projects.

so coming from an education position the last 2 years, one of the challenges with titans academy is outdated video content with some of the recent updates from auto desk. some students struggled with finding the symbols on the video that moved with a recent update. not titans fault but it does pose a problem for him going forward(i think)

Lars is probably the better of the 2 but then again, i believe he works for autodesk so he can produce up to date material too

Hot keys are your friend. Hot key "S" and key in what feature/function you need. I never use the buttons or drop down menus.

Back