What's new
What's new

Is there any sort of CAD for android phones?

Akk

Plastic
I'm wondering if there is any sort of CAD like app for phone's?

Some time's when I'm away from a computer and I have something I want to draw to help visualize things I'm always looking for a way to accurately draw something out like I would on solid works. Does such a thing exists?

Some time's when I'm away from a computer and I have something I want to draw to help visualize things I'm always looking for a way to accurately draw something out like I would on solid works. Does such a thing exists?

DWD...."Drawing While Driving".....and here I thought texting was a menance....:ack2:

I suggest you try Onshape.

With the coming of AI, it shouldn't be long before you just tell your phone what you want and it fetches the drawing all done up. Currently, we can do this (in the movies) by just waving our hands in the air this way, and that, and the computer demos exactly what we were thinking about, without the user saying a word, nor the computer requesting clarification of even a SINGLE PARAMETER. (I've been watching "The Expanse") :D

Might just be me, but phone screen size would be a serious limitation for designing somethiing of any complexity for me. Even the previously mentioned sheet of paper has about 10x the useful "screen" size -- and no menus to get in the way. Now a phone camera - to capture ideas and maybe sketch on top of them - that makes sense to me.

Viewing models or drawings, with a fast graphics processor, is another matter. Lots of phone-resident viewers out there that zoom faster than Google Earth from huge to breadbox-sized.

Jon Hirschtick's team at OnShape already mentioned. Mike Riddle (the original developer of AutoCAD) was working on a phone-resident CAD system. He got at least as far as a promising rules-driven demo (a mode of entry that sort of makes sense with a small screen). I believe his move to Pattern Computer may have intruded on further development?

In all seriousness, onshape on a phone sucks.

If you're serious about this, then you need to consider switching to an iPad (specifically, not an android tablet), as that's where the best options are.

Shapr3D when used with an apple pencil is actually really good.

I like the idea but screen size would be a killer. Actually I feel squeezed when I need to work on a 17" laptop. I can do it if needed.

I cannot imagine trying to do any sort of CAD work on a phone screen. But I am a cranky old Luddite.

I like the idea but screen size would be a killer. Actually I feel squeezed when I need to work on a 17" laptop. I can do it if needed.

There are good reasons why all the real contenders in this space are targetting iPad exclusively, and screen size is the primary one. (technical shortcomings of Android seem to be commonly cited as why it's only on Apple...)

Interesting read about Shapr3D (I really hate that name, makes it sound like a toy): Shapr3D integrates PLM Components in a leading application for computer-aided design on iPad Pro | Siemens Digital Industries Software

Fagcad has an Android app. It comes in a rainbow of colors. I am pretty sure you only need a California driver's license to operate it.

Jeez I absolutely hate doing CADCAM even on my laptop, I basically have to plug it into my 4K monitor to feel okay. My workstation at work has me spoiled with dual monitors and a 3D mouse, the level of interaction is just not possible with a laptop. It has gotten so bad that I hate doing simple things like Excel on my laptop.

I could see the iPad Pro 12" as a reasonable option because the level of interaction is there with the Apple pencil. But a phone will be utterly maddening and honestly not that useful. A pencil and paper make more sense - hence the iPad Pro option.

Back