What's new
What's new

Is there anyways to ramp in a 3d mold in msatercam?

Rbpercussion

Aluminum
I have a simple mold and for practicality's sake, lets just say it's a square mold. I'm using surface rough pocket to rough the core and I've tried many things to keep the tool down in the material in a z-ramping fashion but nothing seems to work. I have the gap settings set at an abnormally high rate in efforts to keep the tool down but it's not working.

Isn't there a way that I can just ramp down instead of constantly stepping down and retracting?

you got a file to share?

That is what I am thinking. Most of the surfacing paths do keep the tool down by default so I am a little confused... :confused:

Of course, it could be I have had my 'default' toolpath strategies setup to my preferences for so long now I don't know how they come out of the box! :D

you got a file to share?

Yes, a file would help. Even if it's a dummy file and you can't share your original one.
What version are you using? Have you tried the HSM toolpaths? If it's a cavity you can use 2d HSM dynamic Area, or 3d HSM roughing, area clearance.

There is a tick box in one of the tool path menu's for "keep tool down".

Don't know if it's changed since X6 (last version I used) but that has to work in accordance with clearance and retract settings as well. Just something to remember, as it was a huge source of frustration at my previous job on occasion.

I have a demo version that i'm learning on. It's files are different and the up-loader is saying the file is invalid. Idk if i'm doing something wrong or if it doesn't take those kind of files

Demo or Home Learning Edition? HLE will load Mastercam files as far as I know, but won't save out as anything but the proprietary educational file format and won't post code either.

I have a simple mold and for practicality's sake, lets just say it's a square mold. I'm using surface rough pocket to rough the core and I've tried many things to keep the tool down in the material in a z-ramping fashion but nothing seems to work. I have the gap settings set at an abnormally high rate in efforts to keep the tool down but it's not working.

Isn't there a way that I can just ramp down instead of constantly stepping down and retracting?

Well your using surface ROUGH pocket, it's gonna do the multiple retract at the end of each pass. Not my favorite toolpath to say the least.

If you'll switch over to the surface high speed toolpaths, you'll find them much easier to control every aspect.
My tip for semi-finishing using surface finish is do multiple "stock to leave" depths (create an op and copy it several times with different depths). That toolpath will not have the retracts.

Demo or Home Learning Edition? HLE will load Mastercam files as far as I know, but won't save out as anything but the proprietary educational file format and won't post code either.

hle, i've had other people tell me they couldnt open the file

Well your using surface ROUGH pocket, it's gonna do the multiple retract at the end of each pass. Not my favorite toolpath to say the least.

If you'll switch over to the surface high speed toolpaths, you'll find them much easier to control every aspect.
My tip for semi-finishing using surface finish is do multiple "stock to leave" depths (create an op and copy it several times with different depths). That toolpath will not have the retracts.

Are you proposing using a surface finish toolpath? there is no pocket option in the surface finish dropdown so could you elaborate?

Going from memory here as I haven't used legacy rough pocket in a while. There should be a check box for entry type. Check ramp or helix. You may need to reduce the XY clearance to get the tool to "fit" In the "z" slices. If I remember correctly the default is .100. Also are you using a containment boundary?

Are you proposing using a surface finish toolpath? there is no pocket option in the surface finish dropdown so could you elaborate?

I was talking about using the "surface high speed" toolpaths. MUCH more control over how your tool cuts.

You do not need a "pocket" toolpath per say, you can use surface finish parallel. just copy several of the same operations and use Less stock to leave on each path.

If I had the Educational ver of MC I could really help you out with just a few examples.

In House Solutions has some great training books btw...

Im assuming you mean to keep the tool down between depth cuts? Im working on a similar job now, a big cavity, using rough pocket. The easiest thing Ive found to keep the tool close to the material (no full retract) is putting the linking parameters set to a small incremental value. In my example Im lifting 1mm off of the floor, rappid to the location for the next downfeed, rapid to .6mm above the last cut, and starting the helical entry. Hope this helps.rough_pock.jpg

Im assuming you mean to keep the tool down between depth cuts? Im working on a similar job now, a big cavity, using rough pocket. The easiest thing Ive found to keep the tool close to the material (no full retract) is putting the linking parameters set to a small incremental value. In my example Im lifting 1mm off of the floor, rappid to the location for the next downfeed, rapid to .6mm above the last cut, and starting the helical entry. Hope this helps.View attachment 158576

When i get back into the swing of study I will be sure to give this a try. In the end, if I cant keep to the tool down the entire cut then a really small retract is the next best option. I'll let you know how it works when I get a chance

Back