What's new
What's new

Think you know how Planes & Arcs Work?

aldepoalo

Stainless
Take this short quiz and see if you're right. 4 simple questions, do you know the answers? Use this link to find out!

Tech Tuesday: Plane Handling & Arcs | BobCAD-CAM

arc plance quiz.jpg

The views in the questions relates to the Right-Hand rule as it relates to the Cartesian Coordinate System. (Think-standing in front of a standard VMC looking at the table Tool Directions: X+ moves right, Y+ Moves to the back, away from you)

Last edited:
Total bummer this is nothing but an email grab.

Gone are the days of honest interaction with potential customers. All about lead creation now.

...just cause Autodesk is setting the standard for shitty CADCAM companies doesn't mean the rest of you need to step up your game.

I know all about planes and arcs. Planes go "Pbpbpbpbpbpbbbpbbpbb" and float in the sky with magic, and arcs float around on magic lakes with a horde of imaginary critters and one really drunk guy onboard.

I am guessing you didn't scroll past the questions. There is information about the arc planes below. Also Goose I would think you would know these answers anyway. Yes it does require an email to see if you are right, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that at all.

I am guessing you didn't scroll past the questions. There is information about the arc planes below. Also Goose I would think you would know these answers anyway. Yes it does require an email to see if you are right, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that at all.

You have obviously never been on our end of that email.
I don't know how Bobcad handles themselves these days?
But, I have been on that end of the email, when Bobcad was about the most annoying thing a CNC machinist ever had to deal with.
God forbid they get a hold of your phone number back then!

I think it's fair to say that many "manufacturing vendors" reach out to your shop to sell you something. Tooling guys, software guys, machine guys etc...

I know all about planes and arcs. Planes go "Pbpbpbpbpbpbbbpbbpbb" and float in the sky with magic, and arcs float around on magic lakes with a horde of imaginary critters and one really drunk guy onboard.

J-3 cubs go "Butter Butter Butter" and yes, you can fit them with floats....

O.K.

so put your money where your keyboard is.

What does Bobcad doo with the e-mails submitted for the above linked "quiz" ?

Just let me know and I will drive to their headquarters and give them a piece of your mind for you, I am only 20 minutes away.

(LoL j/k Al) ;)

O.K.

so put your money where your keyboard is.

What does Bobcad doo with the e-mails submitted for the above linked "quiz" ?

They do what every other company does with your email, they profit off of it by selling your email.
Ever notice that when you give a site your email, you suddenly get a bunch of spam from sites you've never been to before?
That's because your email was sold.

I think it's fair to say that many "manufacturing vendors" reach out to your shop to sell you something. Tooling guys, software guys, machine guys etc...

The shitty thing is acquiring an email or phone number under false pretenses. You put out that email request under the guise of the customer seeing what the answers are to a quiz when in fact your real intention is to use it for advertising.

Like, you might even need to tread carefully here, you may be violating GDPR.

• Consent must be “freely given, specific, informed and unambiguous.”
  • You need to keep documentary evidence of consent.

​Maybe you're just banking on not landing any EU emails?

Well the email thing... I dunno. It is just how it works these days. Go almost anywhere on the net and you need an email address for the "free" insurance quotes, and your "free" $5 giftcard to joebob's emporium and you name it.

In this case I would agree though it is un-necessary. They should post the answers at the bottom and give you an OPTION to give an email and sign up for a newsletter or whatever about how BobCAD "magically"* works with different planes, etc.

*that is a bit of sarcasm as I think everyone understands how planes work and G17/G18/G19 with modern cam packages....

1- It's an online quiz, you can choose to take it or not.

2- Ok it asks for an email address to get the answers, so what. Most of you have a spam email account you use for this type of stuff.

3- It's a quiz on G-code it's not specific to BobCAD

4- Just because many of you know the answers, not everyone does. Which is the point of the quiz, to bring awareness to the topic of Plane & Arc handling. Below the quiz there are graphics and descriptions of the plane and arc moves, this is the education part of the blog.

Do I need to add a "Boom" here or there for it to be considered education?

Side Bar - One of the reasons why I have always liked this forum is due to talent in this group. There are "some" super power users in here and this forum could be a great place to share information.

Back