What's new
What's new

How best to connect open contours in Fusion 360

Cole2534

Diamond
I have this part (pic attached), and the end needs faced. It's 1-1/4" square but has open contours of varying heights. I just want F360 to make a single pass to square up the end but it gets lost and fucks it all up. I trick F360 into doing what I want, but I don't like that, it's a bad habit. I've tried the patch tool but it results in an empty tool path.

capture2.jpg

Anyone have suggestions?

I would just draw a sketch line and run a trace toolpath. I never found an easy way to project varying levels together with fusion. A simple way may exist but I never found it. SolidCam automatically projects the chains to the work plane. I would imagine most professional software functions this way.

I would just draw a sketch line and run a trace toolpath. I never found an easy way to project varying levels together with fusion. A simple way may exist but I never found it. SolidCam automatically projects the chains to the work plane. I would imagine most professional software functions this way.

I should find out here in the next day or so. This part is going to be my test piece between F360 and SC.

EDIT- additional sketch lines were the easy way, although I just used them to guide a contour path.

I should find out here in the next day or so. This part is going to be my test piece between F360 and SC.

EDIT- additional sketch lines were the easy way, although I just used them to guide a contour path.

No different than any other CAM software you just have create some geometry sometimes to get-er-done, just old school it, have to do the same thing with HSMWorks in SW

I have this part (pic attached), and the end needs faced. It's 1-1/4" square but has open contours of varying heights. I just want F360 to make a single pass to square up the end but it gets lost and fucks it all up. I trick F360 into doing what I want, but I don't like that, it's a bad habit. I've tried the patch tool but it results in an empty tool path.

View attachment 295033

Anyone have suggestions?

In featurecam, I just create a rectangle curve and use it as the facing boundary.
I need to dive into 360 soon to see if it will do what I need, so I'm interested in this.

From what I saw MC was the same way - sometimes you just have to create a 2D line or contour projection to get the kernel to do what you want it to.

Since I know you will be playing around with this here I selected the line with varying Z height and it projects to the working plane. Then in levels you can set the actual height to cut at/adjust the working plane.

Attachments

• Screenshot (165).jpg
    Screenshot (165).jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 64
Recorded a quick video to show how this can be done quickly & easily: YouTube (My noise gate cut out my voice in a couple sections, hopefully everything came through clearly)

In featurecam, I just create a rectangle curve and use it as the facing boundary.
I need to dive into 360 soon to see if it will do what I need, so I'm interested in this.

Well I drew it up in SW to show how I would do it in HSMWorks.

You'll see in the pic what I selected in red at the top and the red line at the bottom is for the tool to go down to plus all my settings with red line next to the things I've changed
.slection.jpg probigate along z.JPGbottom edge.JPGtangent extend.JPGfrom 90 to 0.JPG

Back