Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Thoughts on PTC Creo?

Ok, I know this sounds like another one of those software questions that could be answered with a search in PM but the last time Creo was brought up was once in 2015 and then 2013. So, Just want to see if anyone here is using the new stuff 5.0 or 6.0. I was chatting on one of the machine groups and only one person had used it back in 2010 and said it absolutely sucked.

I got a 30 day demo a few days ago and spent the last couple watching some YouTube vids tutorials and I must say I am impressed. Both on the Cad and the Cam side as well as the post building. The modeling after a couple of hours seemed to just smoke Solidworks and Powershape as far as ease to use and navigation. Picking up Sketching and Solids I would say maybe took 4 or 5 hours to get comfy with it. Not proficient, just comfortable enough......

Then went to the cam side of it, really straight forward navigation again. I didn't think any cam system had a FBM as well as Esprit and Featurecam but the Auto Feature recognition wizard just made quick work of the whole part in just a few clicks. Cutter path options here really nice (Never seen a bi directional cut with chip thinning option).

What seemed to really surprise me was while I was creating tool paths it was creating the CMM program in the background. This could really take the QC stain off the shops I work with.

Finally, The post setup. Since Engineering Geometry Systems came out with Xbuild I have sworn it was the best post builder/modifier ever made. Pfffft, Not ever playing with Creo before, I had a full blown Tilting head 5X post (including a right angle head) ready to go from scratch in less than an hour.

So far with just a few days into it I'm hooked but would like to hear the other good and bad before chunking out $25K.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When we were talking on facebook about Creo.. I decided to try it out with the 30 day demo... I'm really impressed they blended the power of NX into much more user friendly experience. PTC in my opinion knocked it out the park on 6.0

The packages are well laid out, only thing I see is the subscription model that every software company is going to.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Been 20 yr daily user of Pro/E - I started on Rel 18 in late 1990's. When they changed to Creo a couple yrs back, we held off, and moved after Creo 2.0 had been out for awhile. Different, like every other ver upgrade we have gone through (ie rel 19, 2000, 2000i^2, WF2.0, WF 4.0, etc). I complained at first but a couple weeks later I was always fine with latest upgrade. Came to grips with Creo 2.0 and got productive with it. About a year ago we moved to Creo 4.0.

Been using it (Creo 4.0) now not quite a year. I still don't care for it (4.0) still, nearly a year later. Seems they made most things more difficult and less efficient.

Tell me if they improved Creo in release 5.0 or 6.0 ? This guy still does not care for 4.0.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like Morsetaper2 have been a daily user of Pro/E since rev 18 and a CNC programmer using Pro\ Manufacturing that whole time. The software was a vast improvement over what I had been using at the time (Building plastic Injection molds)and had a steep learning curve. but over the years they improved the manufacturing software to being probably one of the most capable out there other than the very high end packages. The only complaint I have with PTC in the past couple of revisions( since Creo 4) they have stopped most development and work on the subtractive manufacturing side of the software and started to put all there time into the additive manufacturing(3D Printing) They throw the subtractive manufacturing a bone every now and then but for the most part they are now buying other software companies products and including that in the manufacturing software and charging more money for new technology.
    I was all excited they were touting a new high speed machining function for mold machining in Creo5 so I jumped on the creo 5 updates when it came out to look and see what the new high speed machining was all about but learned it was another 5,000 dollar option that you could add to your existing license and they didn't even make it. It was developed by Moduleworks and just ported to read Creo files.
    Not a happy PTC guy anymore but I guess all the software out there is like that anymore.
    This Rant of mine does not in any way mean that the software is any less capable it just pisses me off that with all the money you spend on maintenance you get very little in return. But that's another whole subject.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I took formal classes in Pro-e when it was version 2000i and successfully mounted the drop-down menu learning curve. I was a big fan of PTC but needed to use other programs on the job. Most industries favor one program or another and I'd occasionally get to work with Wildfire versions. I started a Tooling Engineer position that would have me using Creo 2 and I looked forward to returning to the fold. I was really disappointed that there hadn't been more development in the modules I needed. Seems like most of the new features were aimed at the interface with the other departments in manufacturing. That's a good thing and helps sell the seat but sometimes even Creo 4 felt less feature capable than it did in the drop-down menu days, probably my imagination has partnered with advancing CRS to produce "The Good Old Days". Creo does, at times, feel a bit clumsy but it depends upon what I'm doing with it. I prefer making drawings in SolidWorks but that's a small point of personal preference. I have little experience with the CAM end of things other than a DXF out or a fairly simple Master Cam post so I have no valid opinion. A couple of other members seem to like NX and I'd want to check them out after seeing the few crumbs SW and PTC toss us every year.