What's new
What's new

Thread Data program?

wbstadeli

Plastic
Hi,

i was wondering if you guys had advise to give on a thread program where you can figure out major/minor diameters, pitch diameters, etc., i know thread tech is one but it costs over $400. Didn't know if there was a similar program out there for cheaper?

thanks in advance,
wendell

I have an Excel spreadsheet that pretty much accomplishes what you want. You can input a made up size, like .777-17 and it'll give you PD, major, minor, root radius, crest, etc. It's just a list of standard sizes and you can input your own size down at the bottom of the table and it'll calculate it too.

I basically copied the format of Machinery's Handbook and used the spreadsheet to calculate it out. It meant the difference of a whopping .0001" on rounding error.

The purpose was to create a *BADASS* version of the tap drill chart in a computer database that included inch, metric, cut tap drill, form tap drill, various theoretical % of thread, tolerances, etc etc. Everything.

When I got ready to start purchasing ANSI thread standards from www.techstreet.com, I had to take a step back.

However, it is something I'd like to complete. I'll share with you the basic spreadsheet this evening when I get home from the shrink. I didn't get as far as calculating tolerances for different thread class, but it's still a handy file to have on hand.

Don't know the cost but we use Thread Disk by Gage Maker. Works real good and is very simple to use. Also, it will caculate thread gages. It too will work on any odd size thread you would want.

Well it looks like my spreadsheet didn't get as far as calculations involving the nominal diameter. That's where I got stuck on some details, and figgered I'd want the ANSI standards before I finished these tables.

The file type had to be .zip to upload here...

Attachments

• thread data in excel.zip
    87.4 KB · Views: 679
It's true that lots of basic thread data is available on the Internet or in the Machinery's Handbook. The questions are - how thorough and reliable is the Internet info, how much do you trust yourself to punch the numbers into complex formulas correctly every time, and finally, how much is your time worth?

I use free thread turning and thread milling programs from Vardex. see:http://tinyurl.com/c9gsd5

However I also use their full profile inserts on the lathe and thread milling inserts on the mill.

Also the TT program will tell me what anvil to use for the proper clearance dor a specific helix angle. (I have a complete set of anvils for almost any possible helix angle) In addition the TT program will tell what insert to use for the reverse helix method where I can thread a right hand internal thread at high speed from a blind shoulder towards the tailstock with the spindle running CW.

Last edited:
Hi,

i was wondering if you guys had advise to give on a thread program where you can figure out major/minor diameters, pitch diameters, etc., i know thread tech is one but it costs over $400. Didn't know if there was a similar program out there for cheaper?

thanks in advance,
wendell

well all the advice is good but if you under stand how threads are
there isan't a thread you can't make from the infomation in the machinist hand book. Just find the thread pitch and add any number to it and that is your thread pitch maj/ and minor you dont always need software to do the work of a machinist or have to pay money when you have a machinist hand book in your tool box..

well all the advice is good but if you under stand how threads are
there isan't a thread you can't make from the infomation in the machinist hand book. Just find the thread pitch and add any number to it and that is your thread pitch maj/ and minor you dont always need software to do the work of a machinist or have to pay money when you have a machinist hand book in your tool box..

I tried your equation here and would like you to verify this. I take 20 TPI and add .250 to it. 20+.250 =20.250 is this my major and minor of both the ID and OD 1/4-20 thread I'm looking for or just one of them?

I hate to think of the money wasted on these silly software programs. Think of the money we could have save if we under stood threads!

I think that what he means is this:
You have the dims for a 1/4-20 thread but you need dims for a 1/2-20 thread. You can take the dims for the smaller one and add the nominal difference (.25) to get the dims for the 1/2-20.
1/4-20 2A thread major .2489-.2408 pitch .2164-.2127, add .25 = .4989-.4908 major and .4664-.4627 pitch.

Is this the idea?

The book dims are slightly different however. .4987-.4906 major and .4662-.4619.

I've heard this idea before and it will get you close and for an internal shop project it might be close enough. For a customer? Probably not if at the tolerance extremes.

I hope I got the math and the dims right. I'm at home and only had my small handbook. My eyes are not what they used to be. At work I have the larger book.

I think that what he means is this:
You have the dims for a 1/4-20 thread but you need dims for a 1/2-20 thread. You can take the dims for the smaller one and add the nominal difference (.25) to get the dims for the 1/2-20.
1/4-20 2A thread major .2489-.2408 pitch .2164-.2127, add .25 = .4989-.4908 major and .4664-.4627 pitch.

Is this the idea?

The book dims are slightly different however. .4987-.4906 major and .4662-.4619.

I've heard this idea before and it will get you close and for an internal shop project it might be close enough. For a customer? Probably not if at the tolerance extremes.

I hope I got the math and the dims right. I'm at home and only had my small handbook. My eyes are not what they used to be. At work I have the larger book.

Yes you got it not very hard and it didn't cost anything
same will also aply when doing thread gages take the internal thread size and
make a plug with go and nogo will also work with ring gage

Yeah, but I'd like to stress again that this is really only good for in-house stuff (especially the gages). Sometimes you can get a non-picky customer but I wouldn't count on it. I actually recommend getting the right numbers and gages if it's for a customer.
In-house, go for it.

Yeah, but I'd like to stress again that this is really only good for in-house stuff (especially the gages). Sometimes you can get a non-picky customer but I wouldn't count on it. I actually recommend getting the right numbers and gages if it's for a customer.
In-house, go for it.

Hey, Chris
the numbers are the same but if you customer dosen't mine paying for the gage then it's all good. Just make sure the cost of the gage is in the ouote befor you start the job because is might take time to get your gage and this way you can make ont and noit wast time @ $75.00 to $60.00 shop rate

special threads

The software helps when you have special lengths of engagement. For mil-spec screw threads the handbook high limit pitch diameters can be incorrect, but I have never met a inspector that asked for a special length of engagement plug gauge. Their is even a footnote in Mach. Handbook that the thread tables are for normal lengths of engagement per the rules of the formula and not constants.

Back