Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Zero,

Ive been a Mastercam User since the 1990's and i think it's the best software on the market. Stick with it and if on line instruction is all that's available then take that road.

Congratulations to you for learning the trade, running manual machines and working in the trenches for the past six years loading parts, hitting cycle start and learning to make edits on your own. You have seen what works and what is risky you know how to hold a part and what tools to use. You know what processes work best in a given situation.

You are ready to take the next step in your career. So many people these days flip and insert and call themselves machinists ask them why that insert cuts and they can't tell you, but they are ready to go on line download some free software and become programmers.

Sounds to me that you have walked the right road and are ready, I'm proud of you.

Good luck.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

School would help and practicing on the conmputer at work would also help. Here in my neck of the woods I've only worked for 2 shops where the programmer could set up the machine and make a part, they were small shops. The bigger corporate shops hire engineers that have never and will never touch a machine. They use what ever the program spits out for a tool path and won't or don't listen to those of us that understand machining. So any piece of paper that says you have a degree will help. Knowing how the machine works would be a benefit and don't ever think that you're learning something you'll never use. You never know what opportunity might come up because you know how instead of I should've paid attention. But what do I know, I'm just a set up/operator/editor.