What's new
What's new

Trying to learn programming for Swiss Lathe

JoeMack2112

Plastic
Does anyone know of a good Swiss lathe software that allows for a Student Version or Home learning Edition? I know Mastercam and fusion both allow it, and Esprit does not. I'm curious if anyone could send me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Short answer: Just play with Fusion. Look into a student edition for Partmaker, but I kinda doubt it.

Have you programmed live tool Y-axis subspindle before? Swiss is (IMHO) easier as long as you understand the physical and programming differences. Those are (in no particular order) the concept of wait codes (M5XX) and synchronized operations. You also have some zero-setting codes that are used on re-chucks and such, and negative offsets on some tools like a gang lathe. Otherwise it is pretty straightforward. You try to split cycle time on the front and back spindle so one isn't waiting for the other.

If you can get your hands on an Esprit post processor manual for Swiss, there is a ton of great info in there but I don't know how valuable that would be absent a way to play with some software while reading along.

Fusion could program a Swiss with the right post processor, but I don't know of any that exist currently.

Back before Autodesk bought Delcam you could get a demo version of PartMaker. I don't think that it's available anymore. You can't even buy PartMaker as a stand alone package anymore. You have to get the fully loaded version of FeatureWorks to get access to PartMaker these days. I used PartMaker for quite a long time, and made some really nice parts with it. At my current shop I had to learn to use Esprit, and I have to say that it's been a eye opener as far as how limited PartMaker is.

JoeMack2112
Is there any reason why MasterCAM or Fusion won't work for you?

I use both of the student versions of those softwares. I haven't seen option in there for swiss for either one. If you know where to look or access it that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Back