What's new
What's new

Using CAM for older machines?

Nobudy

Plastic
We have an older Milacron 850 and a Hurco Hawk and are having issues trying to get them to read .nc and .hnc posted from Fusion 360, I can have my wife create a macro to convert posts to read in the older tech. My question is, would these macro's be worth trying to market to other folks that have similar older machines. I've seen that CNC XChange converts from different brands/types of up-to-date codes, but I haven't found any that convert backwards.

depends on CAM and the cnc.
i had a 2 axis cnc and it saw x and y but could not see z so on leadin i told cam to do a helix spiral so cam saw x and y change. sure i had to add pauses for manual z change. thats just what you do with old cnc. only took a few seconds to a minute
i remember editing cam post processor one gcode at a time to get it to convert ok. sure it took awile only cause i had a older cnc. once post processor setup it just works they way you want or at least 99% with very little editing needed
cnc would convert fanuc gcode to its own type of gcode automatically in seconds. never need to convert back to fanuc, i had the original fanuc from the cam program
many older cnc or even newer cnc you check program on 1st run. thats just the way it is

Back