Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    Most people spurn macos because they don't understand it. I despise windows because I do understand it.
    There's MY problem, then!

Despising BOTH OS X AND WinWoes..... AND LinSucks...AND even "one of" the *BSD as it has become..

More "indifferent to" than despise two other *BSD plus another hundred or so OS'en I've dealt with out of over 400 "out there" as are just not worth a lot of waste of brainpan wattage - even if yah have their "niche" need. "Embedded", mostly, medium/heavy Iron otherwise.

(I actually LIKED HP MPE-3000!!!.. which was what it said it was. Not an "OS". A Multi-Processing Executive) Ditto CICS-VTAM.

WHEN I was dependent on OS X? Shed that silly HFS excuse for a file system first, reconfigured to use a PROPER "/etc" inventory, next, ripped "Finder" Aka "Blinder" out by the roots, implemented proper desktops (16 or so is good), made other changes to system run priorities.

Removed easily HALF of the useless overhead, outright. A Binary no longer exists on-media, it can no longer f**k things up. Mind fifty or so for OS X, 70 THOUSAND files as had to be removed to make Win NT/2K stable.

Re-niced a few things now and then..

Bit more to it, but life got easier, "spinning beachball of death" seldom again appeared.

OS X didn't suffer the "it just growed" exponentially rude anarchy of Linux, nor the infinite number of app vendor monkey-patchwork quilting of WinWOES.

OS X was DESIGNED to be outrageously bloated with malice aforethought.

I'm good with that, actually

As with the gal who dined nekkid, WinWoes, Lin-droid, and OS X do a good job of keeping the flies off MY watermelon..

Even if their parasites waste 80% or better of all the network bandwidth on-planet trying to shag the end-Lusers from all angles... at least they are FUNDING it..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    There's MY problem, then!

Despising BOTH OS X AND WinWoes..... AND LinSucks...AND even "one of" the *BSD as it has become..

More "indifferent to" than despise two other *BSD plus another hundred or so OS'en I've dealt with out of over 400 "out there" as are just not worth a lot of waste of brainpan wattage - even if yah have their "niche" need. "Embedded", mostly, medium/heavy Iron otherwise.

(I actually LIKED HP MPE-3000!!!.. which was what it said it was. Not an "OS". A Multi-Processing Executive) Ditto CICS-VTAM.

WHEN I was dependent on OS X? Shed that silly HFS excuse for a file system first, reconfigured to use a PROPER "/etc" inventory, next, ripped "Finder" Aka "Blinder" out by the roots, implemented proper desktops (16 or so is good), made other changes to system run priorities.

Removed easily HALF of the useless overhead, outright. A Binary no longer exists on-media, it can no longer f**k things up. Mind fifty or so for OS X, 70 THOUSAND files as had to be removed to make Win NT/2K stable.

Re-niced a few things now and then..

Bit more to it, but life got easier, "spinning beachball of death" seldom again appeared.

OS X didn't suffer the "it just growed" exponentially rude anarchy of Linux, nor the infinite number of app vendor monkey-patchwork quilting of WinWOES.

OS X was DESIGNED to be outrageously bloated with malice aforethought.

I'm good with that, actually

As with the gal who dined nekkid, WinWoes, Lin-droid, and OS X do a good job of keeping the flies off MY watermelon..

Even if their parasites waste 80% or better of all the network bandwidth on-planet trying to shag the end-Lusers from all angles... at least they are FUNDING it..
    Well.

I don't particularly disagree with you on any of the more philosophical points, but actually having to use these systems to do things requires a degree of pragmatism to be maintained...

I suppose I could say that I am indifferent to OSX. When I am using it, I can forget it's there. I could also say that I'm indifferent to Linux. I like to tinker with it occasionally, but it's not really viable to adapt to most of my real world use cases. Of course I could say something similar about OSX, since at least two of my real world use cases preclude it's use as well, and mandate Windows exclusively.

I cannot say that I'm indifferent to Windows, because it's impossible to forget that you're using it while you're using it. Interacting with it at any level beyond working inside the application that I'm using, just frustrates and angers me. It is the perfect stereotype of design by committee, endless conflicting ideas, zero coherency, schizophrenic interface design, barely functional subsystems - I could go on at length about all things I hate about it.

BSD remains a curiosity. I like the idea of it better than I like the idea of Linux, but again most of my real world requirements rule it out altogether.

3. Likes swarf_rat, tim9lives liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well.

I don't particularly disagree with you on any of the more philosophical points, but actually having to use these systems to do things requires a degree of pragmatism to be maintained...

I suppose I could say that I am indifferent to OSX. When I am using it, I can forget it's there. I could also say that I'm indifferent to Linux. I like to tinker with it occasionally, but it's not really viable to adapt to most of my real world use cases. Of course I could say something similar about OSX, since at least two of my real world use cases preclude it's use as well, and mandate Windows exclusively.

I cannot say that I'm indifferent to Windows, because it's impossible to forget that you're using it while you're using it. Interacting with it at any level beyond working inside the application that I'm using, just frustrates and angers me. It is the perfect stereotype of design by committee, endless conflicting ideas, zero coherency, schizophrenic interface design, barely functional subsystems - I could go on at length about all things I hate about it.

BSD remains a curiosity. I like the idea of it better than I like the idea of Linux, but again most of my real world requirements rule it out altogether.
    Lots to hate about the *BSD's - or ANY Unix as well.

OTOH, yah can be "mothership" to near-as- dammit anything else on-planet, so there's no need to give THAT part a second thought.

Best part, though - uber-lean OpenBSD most of all - is that as much of it as you want to stay out of your face does exactly that.

You decide what you want. Implement no more than that.

Ex: After running "xfce4" as UI since early days, I shed it for really LEAN "fvwm2" as OpenBSD ships-with, built-in. Not one but TWO "bus" daemons and their bloated infrastructure and parasite load were no longer required.

All I had to do was edit three files, and it looked and acted the way I WANTED it to look and act. Ported across several hardware changes since, the only neeedful change has been the screen size & dpi.

I'm not averse to a bit of "eye candy".

I just require it earn its crust by making the workflow smoother, faster, and more reliable. AND NOT rougher, slower and LESS reliable.

"Lead. Follow. Or get TF out of my WAY!"

.. applies to OS'en "co-workers" just as if they were humans on the same team.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And indeed, if you want to run CAD/CAM, why are you screwing about with a mac anyway?
    Mac just simply runs well. Being able to instantaneously share between devices without fumbling through a bunch of apps is a major advantage, Ipone, Ipad, Macbook and Imac all running in sinc. If I walk out to the shop floor I can airdrop a projects status to my phone or ipad from the Ipad at the machine as well as the setup guys Ipad (Shoptech E2 ERP runs on Ipad) and as soon as I'm back to my desk its already on the main.

Screen mirroring, Nice to run multiple monitors wirelessly without extra apps taking up system resources. Being able to walk into a meeting and rather than plug into a projector I can either mirror to the Monitor wirelessly or share to everyone else's Laptop, Ipad, Iphone. Sharing files without a third party app or having to email is quite nice.

Mac OS runs super smooth, its doesnt have as many background processes as windows doing useless things like scanning for updates everytime it gets powered on. These kid here are programming 5+ axis running partmaker or NX on Oracle 10 while mirroring monitors and live video chatting the setup guy getting the job ready on plain $1000 MacBooks. I'm not aware of any other off the shelf system that can do that.

As Thermite said "Retina" display is fabulous for CAD. And Onshape on an 12.9" Ipad pro with retina is the Cadillac of "on the go modeling".

IMessage, Facetime, Phone calls, It's nice to be working at the main and a call or message come in and not have to dig the phone out of your pocket, just answer it on whatever device you have in front of you at the time.

To answer the question of why I'm using Mac for CAD/CAM is just simply for my business model it seems to be the right choice. The last Gen of Mac made it possible for upgrades if someone was running low on resources, I just failed to do the research on this new stuff. 100% my fault. Now for the time being since we are still in military enforced lockdown I just have to make do with what I have until I get to Hong Kong or Taiwan.

Here's a simple scenario of Apple integration in a machine shop. Let's say Manny, Moe, and Jack have a shop, Just a simple 3 man organisation.

Manny is in the office programming a part while Moe and Jack are running parts. Manny needs to know what tool holders and tools are available for a job as well as what material is in Stock. Manny initiates a Facetime with both Joe and Jack. Now Many needs some ER holders and some solid holders. Moe runs over to the tool rack while the machine is running to see what's available. In the meantime Jack zips over to the materials to find the closest thing to what Manny needs while his machine is running. Moe shows Manny on video the ER holders and Solid holders and then sends him via (Apple Notes) the toolholder serial numbers that are in the tool library. Meanwhile Jack finds a piece of material that is close to the size of what Manny is looking for. Now, Manny can say "Cut to these dimensions" or he can set up his stock material to the sizes Jack gives him. Now Manny has a visual picture of both the toolholders as well as the stock. Manny knows that the super hard alloy that Jack found has a sawn edge and needs to be squared up before Manny can use chip thinning and HSM tool paths as well as how it has to be held. The same goes for the tools as well.

Three guys with one ten year old Macbook and two Iphone 5's could accomplish with $500 what a $100K custom system station still can't.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    Mac just simply runs well. Being able to instantaneously share between devices without fumbling through a bunch of apps is a major advantage, Ipone, Ipad, Macbook and Imac all running in sinc. If I walk out to the shop floor I can airdrop a projects status to my phone or ipad from the Ipad at the machine as well as the setup guys Ipad (Shoptech E2 ERP runs on Ipad) and as soon as I'm back to my desk its already on the main.

Screen mirroring, Nice to run multiple monitors wirelessly without extra apps taking up system resources. Being able to walk into a meeting and rather than plug into a projector I can either mirror to the Monitor wirelessly or share to everyone else's Laptop, Ipad, Iphone. Sharing files without a third party app or having to email is quite nice.

Mac OS runs super smooth, its doesnt have as many background processes as windows doing useless things like scanning for updates everytime it gets powered on. These kid here are programming 5+ axis running partmaker or NX on Oracle 10 while mirroring monitors and live video chatting the setup guy getting the job ready on plain $1000 MacBooks. I'm not aware of any other off the shelf system that can do that.

As Thermite said "Retina" display is fabulous for CAD. And Onshape on an 12.9" Ipad pro with retina is the Cadillac of "on the go modeling".

IMessage, Facetime, Phone calls, It's nice to be working at the main and a call or message come in and not have to dig the phone out of your pocket, just answer it on whatever device you have in front of you at the time.

To answer the question of why I'm using Mac for CAD/CAM is just simply for my business model it seems to be the right choice. The last Gen of Mac made it possible for upgrades if someone was running low on resources, I just failed to do the research on this new stuff. 100% my fault. Now for the time being since we are still in military enforced lockdown I just have to make do with what I have until I get to Hong Kong or Taiwan.

Here's a simple scenario of Apple integration in a machine shop. Let's say Manny, Moe, and Jack have a shop, Just a simple 3 man organisation.

Manny is in the office programming a part while Moe and Jack are running parts. Manny needs to know what tool holders and tools are available for a job as well as what material is in Stock. Manny initiates a Facetime with both Joe and Jack. Now Many needs some ER holders and some solid holders. Moe runs over to the tool rack while the machine is running to see what's available. In the meantime Jack zips over to the materials to find the closest thing to what Manny needs while his machine is running. Moe shows Manny on video the ER holders and Solid holders and then sends him via (Apple Notes) the toolholder serial numbers that are in the tool library. Meanwhile Jack finds a piece of material that is close to the size of what Manny is looking for. Now, Manny can say "Cut to these dimensions" or he can set up his stock material to the sizes Jack gives him. Now Manny has a visual picture of both the toolholders as well as the stock. Manny knows that the super hard alloy that Jack found has a sawn edge and needs to be squared up before Manny can use chip thinning and HSM tool paths as well as how it has to be held. The same goes for the tools as well.

Three guys with one ten year old Macbook and two Iphone 5's could accomplish with $500 what a $100K custom system station still can't.
    Yazz.. except that y'all Apple saucers are STILL about twenty years behind what Unix (remember Sun workstations? Silicon Graphics? "IRIX" was a Unix, too!) was already doin.. and can NOW do on $300 laptops even faster than a Mac with double the resources can march.

Unix kept taking cruft OUT. Apple was putting more IN!

Linux only counter to ABSOLUTE anarchy was to progressively cram the entire sidereal universe into the "kernel space".. because ONLY the "kernel hackers" had the least shred of discipline whilst GNU-userland was a rolling train-wreck of lib, app, and driver "version-hell!

CAD/CAM was not my meat by the time I started the new "for fun" company.

Project Managing the initial build-out of Salon Films' first all-digital multi-media movie studio, Hong Kong, certainly WAS!

Editing thing.

CAD/CAM is easy by comparison.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been running CAD/CAM on a MacBook Pro (using VMWare if necessary) for decades. There is plenty of room in 512GB for the virtual machine, even (choke) W10. Anything the program needs fast access to has to be in memory anyway, so having the program or data on a fast external drive will not slow it down to any noticeably extent, the vast majority of the time. Paging in from a TB or even USB3 drive is pretty fast. If you had the choice between a 512Gb drive and 64G of memory, you should take the latter.

You could even run BSD or Linux in VM if for some reason the need was felt. I'd suggest finding an install copy of Windows 7 to run Windows only stuff. The last stable release of Windows was XP3 but there are programs now that require at least W7. W10 is simply a disaster looked at from any angle.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by swarf_rat View Post
    I've been running CAD/CAM on a MacBook Pro (using VMWare if necessary) for decades. There is plenty of room in 512GB for the virtual machine, even (choke) W10.
    Yazz... so long as yah don't go all Globetrotting Hong Kong Tai Tai and save 40 billion uber-high-megapixel res fotos of every venue (MOST of them [1]) you've chased handsome Canadian/Hong Kong Fred Cheng ... plus every MEAL eaten anywhere on-planet for two whole years, anyway. "DAMHIKT".

WinWOES? The "last stable release" still is. NT4 SP3. Take 70,000 files out of it with "NT Lite" then some extra wizardry? The QEMU image handily fits a floppy disk.

Space? I recall upgrading web servers to a whole 15 GB.. that went on to virtual website host over 300 customers with no sweat, email service & spam filtering engination as part of the package.

Including, ironically, four or five Swiss Kantonal Government Agency anti-drug educational websites.. and easily three times that number of grass-roots (literally?) websites proselytizing the "decriminalization" of drugs, weed mostly, but not-only. Sharing the same IP's and bare iron!

Go figure internet commerce is akin to streetwalker whoreing?

Just keep in mind that ANYWHERE you encounter the term "virtual"?

It means the other words are a KNOWN LIE!

[1] It isn't the wife. Not entirely, anyway. It's MOSTLY her 94 year-old too-long-widowed MOTHER! You'd have to know wimmin'? Cantonese or otherwise..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yazz... so long as yah don't go all Globetrotting Hong Kong Tai Tai and save 40 billion uber-high-megapixel res fotos of every venue (MOST of them [1]) you've chased handsome Canadian/Hong Kong Fred Cheng ... plus every MEAL eaten anywhere on-planet for two whole years, anyway. "DAMHIKT".

WinWOES? The "last stable release" still is. NT4 SP3. Take 70,000 files out of it with "NT Lite" then some extra wizardry? The QEMU image handily fits a floppy disk.

Space? I recall upgrading web servers to a whole 15 GB.. that went on to virtual website host over 300 customers with no sweat, email service & spam filtering engination as part of the package.

Including, ironically, four or five Swiss Kantonal Government Agency anti-drug educational websites.. and easily three times that number of grass-roots (literally?) websites proselytizing the "decriminalization" of drugs, weed mostly, but not-only. Sharing the same IP's and bare iron!

Go figure internet commerce is akin to streetwalker whoreing?

[1] It isn't the wife. Not entirely, anyway. It's MOSTLY her 94 year-old too-long-widowed MOTHER! You'd have to know wimmin'? Cantonese or otherwise..
    And again, real world usage of the technology renders your arguments somewhat academic. People do want to take thousands of 4k videos and 8k photographs, and they do often need to use current versions of whatever software.

Nothing released in the last decade could ever be coerced into running on NT4. As a valid example, I have noticed you advocating running an ancient version of quickbooks on a portable vm image - not an option here in the UK, where the ancient versions do not support our current tax and payroll requirements. Lawful requirements that force us to use a version no older than (IIRC) QB 2013, which has the knock-on effect of Windows no older than 7 (maybe XP, idk, but the point stands). Preemptively, I do not consider "move to another country" to be a valid counterargument to this

Fact is, most versions of Windows, design choice and feature inadequacy irritations aside, can be made "stable". Stability issues usually stem from third parties, although that could be considered another failing of windows, with processes across the board running with greater privileges than they really ought to be allowed.

The latest example of absolute sheer stupidity along this vein is game anticheat systems running in ring zero. A process that is one of the most concentrated attack targets in existence, providing a non-critical service, running in kernel mode. These people should not be allowed to develop software, and microsoft should be dragged out in front of the firing squad for even allowing this to be possible on their joke of an operating system. Similar arguments and concerns are routinely voiced about the spread of System-D in Linux.

Apple, for their digressions, would almost certainly not allow this on their os, root privileges and kernel mode execution is all pretty tightly locked down on os x, and becoming ever more so version by version.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an iphone several windows 10 machines and a couple linux laptops

I swear at them all about the same

11. Likes g-coder05, mountie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    I have an iphone several windows 10 machines and a couple linux laptops

I swear at them all about the same
    I was going to laugh it off and agree with you, but after a little bit of introspection I can honestly say that it's truly only windows that triggers apoplexy in me.

Frequently on Linux I will encounter some esoteric problem that requires hours of googling and endless terminal wrangling to overcome, and it never phases me. Just get on with it in a cool and calm manner, even enjoy the experience.

I honestly can't recall the last time I was even mildly irritated by something on either of my macs or iphone.

But Windows... Barely a minute of the day goes by where I am not cursing something about it. Some of it is down to my choice of hardware. My daily driver has two 4k displays. Windows' support of high dpi is abysmal, and it's support of dual displays is also pretty shoddy. Some of it is the software - I am back to using solidworks after using something else for a few years and I fucking HATE it. But at the OS level itself, many, countless many, little gripes and irritations that add up to a miserable experience.

Using windows actually makes me miserable, and I know that's ridiculous, but it's real.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Honestly on a new computer with windows 10, I rarely have issues, but I don't ask much of a computer. The one I am typing on is 12 years old, and I decided to put an SSD drive in it rather than buy a new one because it is not used for anything important

iphone:

pop over windows that must be addressed before proceeding: FU this is my phone I do not care about your question

daily must enter passcode to enable touch id, FU, you want a longer passcode for security then make it painful

icons that only appear when the device decides[thinking of airplay specifically] when you are having issues you cannot tell what is going on because the button simply doesn't exist

wifi hotspot need to be at the setting to enable it. stupid, my device let me decide if it is safe to wander around with hotspot enabled

constant pissing match between Apple and Microsoft and Google[Oh, I have an android too]

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And again, real world usage of the technology renders your arguments somewhat academic. People do want to take thousands of 4k videos and 8k photographs, and they do often need to use current versions of whatever software.
    Bollocks. A file is a file. Everything is a file.

Nothing released in the last decade could ever be coerced into running on NT4. As a valid example, I have noticed you advocating running an ancient version of quickbooks on a portable vm image - not an option here in the UK, where the ancient versions do not support our current tax and payroll requirements. Lawful requirements that force us to use a version no older than (IIRC) QB 2013, which has the knock-on effect of Windows no older than 7 (maybe XP, idk, but the point stands).
    Bollocks. You have no point. Ancient QB on ancient NT4 ACTUALLY DID run my UK VAT-registered firm's books! It can do it today. It can do it in a hundred years.

Taxation, however complex the rules, is still only data and arithmetic when the calculations are to be done.

UK rules are dirt-simple as well. You should try 3 different categories of body-corporate, each US state, plus Federal 13 periods a year.

153 entities, USA alone.

BFD. More OF it, but it is still just rules, data, and arithmetic.

Taxes can still be done with pencil and paper if you had forgotten. An ignorant 4 function calculator is nice.

All QB and such do is remember the steps you tell them to remember.

You have abdicated your thinking to shrink-wrap of others, then whine you do not have control?

Whose fault is THAT?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bollocks. A file is a file. Everything is a file.
    Going to have to admit defeat on this one - I have no idea what you're talking about!

Bollocks. You have no point. Ancient QB on ancient NT4 ACTUALLY DID run my UK VAT-registered firm's books! It can do it today. It can do it in a hundred years.
    I cannot counter this claim directly, because it was simply too long ago and I just can't remember the specifics. We used QB 2005 or some similar vintage version and some time around 2013 we were forced to upgrade because of some change to UK tax or payroll that could not be worked around using the older version.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Going to have to admit defeat on this one - I have no idea what you're talking about!
    Fair enough. Why would you?

You could easily be a full half a century short of my experience in Government and Corporate Finance, multiple entities, continents, currencies, and "rules".

I cannot counter this claim directly, because it was simply too long ago and I just can't remember the specifics. We used QB 2005 or some similar vintage version and some time around 2013 we were forced to upgrade because of some change to UK tax or payroll that could not be worked around using the older version.
    It matters not "when". You cannot understand it, let alone "counter" it.

You use "store bought" applications.
    I've written them.

Then QB came cheap and good enough and I no longer HAD to code a multi-continent General Ledger sytem in SQL.

QB can use externals. It's how we did the Swiss Bank "Giro" years before Intuit had any feature remotely close.

“any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”
    Arthur C.Clarke.

To we finance gurus? There is nothing "advanced" about any of it. Just a tedious pain in the thirteen times a year repetitious ass!

The "technology" was already old when Pacioli was BORN. All HE did was formalize it. The rest is rules. Data. And arithmetic.

All "bean counting" was, is, or ever will be about is rules, data... and ignorant arithmetic.

The Big Bucks always come from knowing what advantage can be taken off the information witten on the beans.... going FORWARD!

THAT part, I must admit, is actually a great deal of fun!

Terrifying some days as well! ... but "fun", nonetheless!

Paid better than "making chips", too!

So I did it!

Does that make me a whore?

Dunno.

How much money have you got.... left?

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I honestly can't recall the last time I was even mildly irritated by something on either of my macs or iphone.
    It pissws me off sometimes when the App installer get saved with the App. But then again I swap over to windows and have to uninstall an app its a PITA veses Mac just drag it to the trash can.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    It pissws me off sometimes when the App installer get saved with the App. But then again I swap over to windows and have to uninstall an app its a PITA veses Mac just drag it to the trash can.
    LOL!

"Old skewl" still rules.

So long as one has a command line and can become "root" .. or wotever ELSE any given OS calls the super-admin?

Such distractions have an amazingly SHORT annoyance-span!

Machines were meant to be our servants. Not our masters!

Wise to insist on that. And enforce it. Ever-and-always.

Lest one loses control of an increasingly large chunk of the precious hours of yer literal-not-virtual life!

Why would one want to do that?

Which liar said you were helpless?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Off your meds again, eh? :-)

Virtual means virtual. The words that follow may also mean virtual. The product of virtual can however be real. The virtualization layers on modern hardware are very thin, particularly so on a personal computer which spends 99.999% of its time in the event loop waiting for a keystroke or mouse down. As has been true for decades, performance issues where they exist can generally be laid at the feet of software developers. I'll agree with you that a figure of merit is the size of the code - the smaller the better.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by swarf_rat View Post
    I'll agree with you that a figure of merit is the size of the code - the smaller the better.
    Some things that are only obvious if you learnt when a half-adder was still implemented in discretes, not "IC's", let alone an ALU or CPU "chip", are right amazing.

Pick up 40, 45 or so year-old code in machine, ASM, static-compiled terse binary- or just as good, Forth code, Ray Duncan's "native code compiler" enhanced that was written for an S-100 with 16 KB of RAM? It's so terse and tiny by modern hardware resource metrics and dynamic libs, it gets into the L1 cache - or even just the "registers" - needs but a tiny fraction of it, even for is VM architecture, doesn't need the larger, slower cache, let alone what is outside the "CPU" on the bus.

And ...needless to say, can execute blitz fast!

So long as.. the "OS" is not distracted at picking its nose. counting its toes, and easily a 130 to 150 other kinky masturbations (typical OS X count, "man top") of course.

One of my favourite "bad examples" was early days when WinWOES had a process running that perpetually upset various other worker-bees by checking to see if any PHYSICAL memory had been added since its most-recent annoyance.

Well I had been a Senior Weapons Director" on a NORAD Air Battle 'puter as actually COULD add, subtract, or hot-swap not only memory, but CPU on-the fly. Sound approach to the lower reliability of that era.

But given that was rare on "personal PC" built on-the-cheap vs a DoD-budget Air Battle computer? Especially with an OS-shaped-object that had to be rebooted on a regular basis, regardless?

I always figured Young Bill (the uber-wealthy one) was just "putting on airs".. as he always had.

"It's in the Levi's", both his Mum and Dad having contributed Lawster DNA!!!

Old Bill

(the much LESS wealthy one.. who has arguably had a Hell of a lot more FUN than Young Bill)