What's new
What's new

Visualmill simulation jagged holes

Pattnmaker

Stainless
I am trying to teach myself how to use Visualmill by doing all their tutorials, I have a seat of it coming at the end of the week with my new machine. I have followed all the steps for hole pocketing but when I run the simulation I get a roundish hole but it is not round. I have a number of random flats on the sides of the holes. The 2 holes are not even the same and the holes shown in some cases are not even a shape you could machine with the loaded endmill.

I have spent several hours messing with it and still end up with a jagged hole. What am I missing? Could this be a graphics card issue? I am using my laptop with a NVIDEA NVS 2100S card.

You mean, you made a part and got a not-very-round hole, or that the simulation of the code shows not-very-good holes and so you haven't tried to run the code?

Assuming the later -> it could be the video card, but first you should look at the various rendering settings. In solidworks (different app, I know) you can set how carefully it draws circles - fast-rough or slow-good. It may be that if you find and adjust such an option your holes will look better.

The other thing to do is look at the machine code (g-code) and see if it looks correct to make a hole.

[How well your machine(s) can interpolate holes is a different matter.]

This is normal, running a perfectly accurate simulation is very slow. You can turn up the detail in simulation settings or switch to the polygonal simulator instead of the voxel one.

It is just the simulation right now. The machine is coming Friday or Monday. I am trying to learn the software so that I can get the machine up and running ASAP. I will take a closer look at the rendering settings and will try looking at the polygonal simulator.

I am using a sub to do my modeling for now but I am starting to see I am going to need a CAD program as well. Financially right now I want to get Rhino and I am more familiar with it, but I am thinking longer term I am better to go with solidworks. I am going this morning to meet with the SW dealer.

Pattnmaker - everything you wrote makes sense.

I encourage you to look at the actual machine output (G-code) [which can be tedious to learn, but that's life] - because often what we see in a simulation and the code we get generated are different.

The edges tend to look rough in the simulations hole locations should be controlled by the cad model it takes a little while to figure out how to drive the cam how smooth they come out in reality is figuring out the right settings .

Back