What's new
What's new

Warning to SmartCAM users with Win7, about Microsoft Edge updates

Milland

Diamond
Hi all,
I use SmartCAM, a relatively rare CAM software but I know there's some other users on the forum. I'm sticking with Win7 for the time being, which MS has declared "we ain't updating no more", which for me is just fine.

Except that's a lie. They did push an update (even though my setting should have stopped it), late at night with a auto-restart that I just caught before it rebooted my computer.

It was to install Edge, which I have no desire for, so when I noticed it trying to restart the computer I stopped it, went into updates, and attempted to uninstall KB4567409 (Edge).

The uninstall seems to have worked (not that I trust MS), but in the process it borked my install of SC, which now declares it can't start, then dies. I'll have to reinstall and get a new activation code, which of course will have to wait for Monday.

F'ing Microsoft - this is why I don't want to migrate to Win10 or whatever follows...

Well, *E#@$*@!!, I just tried to load SC again and this time it started. No idea why it didn't before (the failure to load message wasn't like any I'd seen before), but I guess I won't argue...

The warning about MS Edge being pushed onto Win7 installations is still valid, if you don't want it you'll have to be on guard for their late-night install attempts.

And I got another attempt just now, which I didn't catch before it auto updated. And it must have hacked my Control Panel settings, as I've always had them at "alert, but let me decide" for choosing which updates to install.

I was able to uninstall from the Control Panel > Programs and Features, but I won't put it past them to try again.

Those fuckers. They declare Win7 obsolete, so won't fix bugs or security problems, but will force THEIR junk on you. Absolute fuckers!

I'll add an opinion from someone who does allow the updates and uses Windows 10. I've been using Win10 since it was introduced about 5 years ago with only a few minor problems a few years ago, none since. And I have both Edge and Chrome on my computer but only use Chrome even though Edge seems faster on most websites and may switch. I've been using basically the same computer for 8 years and did the upgrade to Win10 from Win7 when it was first offered. Both my CAD and CAM programs work fine, never saw any difference in how they operated. Skipping updates is not a good idea if you're on the internet and mine is always connected. To me this idea that Win10 and Microsoft are evil is blown way out of proportion. For me they work.

Yes. However ... you should have a router with a firewall. Block them. Long ago I clicked "do not update under any circumstances" and then blocked anyone who might try it, just in case.

Screw their "security updates". The cure is worse than the disease.

How exactly do you use a router firewall to block Windows updates?

Short answer, find the IP that they are coming from and block it. If you have to, use Wireshark to find the villain.

I'm using a Cisco 3745 so the exact method would not be helpful, but the principles are the same for any firewall.

EG should know. He uses it to keep the PM police off his back......:skep:

I'll add an opinion from someone who does allow the updates and uses Windows 10. I've been using Win10 since it was introduced about 5 years ago with only a few minor problems a few years ago, none since. And I have both Edge and Chrome on my computer but only use Chrome even though Edge seems faster on most websites and may switch. I've been using basically the same computer for 8 years and did the upgrade to Win10 from Win7 when it was first offered. Both my CAD and CAM programs work fine, never saw any difference in how they operated. Skipping updates is not a good idea if you're on the internet and mine is always connected. To me this idea that Win10 and Microsoft are evil is blown way out of proportion. For me they work.

windows 10 killed my laptop a few years ago. The upgrade from win7 to 10 seemed ok at first but after about 2 weeks my system kept wanting to update something else and eventually got stuck in some boot up sequence where it never recovered again.

I'd love to be able to block MS, I doubt they'd use only one IP.

I have 7 machines to keep happy, Windows update regularly causes trouble. I connected them through static IP addresses which helped, but I still lose a day every once in a while (way too often) working to get them all seeing each other again after an update. EVERY IT guy I've consulted about this has answered "Well you'll have this with Windows 10" and most recommended installing a Windows Server deal to stop it.

Back