Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1 for Onshape. Extremely powerful and continually improving. Very good support. As mentioned, free if you're willing to have all your designs public.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use Solidworks and Mastercam, because I already have access to them and know them for work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Solid Edge also do a free version for Students and Makers (i.e. not making any money from it) The licence is permanent and you own your own data. I am seriously considering moving from Fusion 360 to Solid Edge for personal use, for a variety of reasons, the main ones being data ownership, longevity and the new paid for features of Fusion always being visible like some sort of upgrade now button. It makes me uneasy that they have started the up sell already, I don't remember Solidworks showing me all the commands in premium but greying them out!

Siemens PLM Software Online Store to sign up for it.

Hobbyists and Makers | CAD Software | Solid Edge where they explain that it is for Makers and hobbyists too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is anyone using Sketchup ? It's a free cad package seems quite interesting and user friendly maybe geared more towards woodworking and architecture.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sketchup is basically just a visualization tool. It has no place in a manufacturing environment, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Hoffman View Post
    Visual CADD is a great program that grew out of the old Generic CADD. If one took advantage of a trade-in deal or otherwise got in early, it's a bargain, but IMO it's too expensive for the hobbyist if you have to pay full boat. I like it because it handles presentation tasks well and I can make a drawing look exactly the way I want in terms of line widths, text and photo insertion. You can also customize the interface to a great extent (as shipped isn't the best) and run macros to plot data from Excel. They give good access to the lower level engine. TriTools.com You can download a demo to play with.
    I loved VisualCadd and used it for about 6 years after GenericCad which was great as well. When I was closing my company because my partner bailed with the capital I saw the handwriting on the wall and got a customer to purchase me a seat of AutoCAD LT to do a design job for him, just so I could put it on my resume. Still use AutoCAD, still hate it, VisualCadd was so damn fast it wasn't funny. So glad I mostly use SolidWorks now. I may retire in a couple years and will have to revisit all this again.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

The one you are most proficient on.....

I have had to switch to several CAD systems over the years, I can't go back.

Like learning German, then French, then Chinese.....ugh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1 for Siemens Solid Edge. I have been using it for years for 2d, and very happy with it. Occasionally they make you update your license file. The software is really a companion program to draft 2d drawings from their 3d software. I had dabbled with Fusion360 for a while, and never really got the hang of it. I was trying to learn 3D at the same time, it would be nice to have an integrated cad/cam suite. But for the most part what I have been doing works so I haven’t tried fixing it.