What's new
What's new

What (computer) processor for CAD?

Polaraligned

Hot Rolled
I need a new computer and want something optimized for CAD. I do a lot of work in AC 2006.

Is the dual core a waste running AC 2006? Should I just stick with a fast single processor system? I have used Dell's for 15 years and have had no problems with them. I looked at their website and they say that the dual core processors are the best for graphics intensive programs. Their best processors seem to be the Xeon processors. I figure that AutoCad 2006 is not capable of handling the multiple processors. I almost never run more than one application at once. I am going to stay away from Vista and use Windows XP professional. They have a 64 bit version. I wonder if that is worthwile?

How about video cards? Is there a card that clearly is better at running CAD programs?

I plan on 4 GB of memory and a 160 GB, 10,000 RPM hard drive.

Thanks for any input,
Scott

i used to run ACAD 2006 on AMD-Duron 850 MHz, 256 MB SDRAM on WinXP proffesional, don;'t know about graphic card (bought in 2001), without any problems. ran pretty smooth.

since you are not multitasking, you won't have problems with whatever you choose

I run windows xp64, dual intel pentium 3.2 processor, with 8gb of ram, with a top of the line Nvidia graphics card. My advice for the type of work I do (5 axis programming) is this. Go with the best graphics card you can afford, The dual processor does nothing for me unless the software you use is truly mulit-threaded, which mine is not. The more ram the better for me. Also the xp64 is a huge help on very large files. I dont know how important the brand is, but we always had good luck with Dell as well. I will stay away from Visa for a while, I was told it was sort of a ram hog and not really to my advantage for anything that I do for now. I get a magazine that is called Desktop Engeneering, they have great computer review articles in there, maybe check out their website for some archived articles and have a look.

So windows XP64 will help with large files even though AutoCad, Photoshop, or video editing software is not written to take advantage of a 64 bit processor and operating system?
I have some video editing I would also like to do on this machine when I get some time. I do some work in Photoshop occasionally. My biggest use is AutoCad in which I do a lot of 3d work.
The dual core Xeon processors clocked at the upper range really jump in price. I wonder how say a 1.86 Ghz Xeon dual core processor compares to a P4 processor.

Thanks,
Scott

So windows XP64 will help with large files even though AutoCad, Photoshop, or video editing software is not written to take advantage of a 64 bit processor and operating system?
No. 32 bit operations still run like 32 bit operations.

Xeon is a waste of money for what you are doing. That's a server grade chipset, made for running really high loads, day and night. If you had a high end CAD system, I'd say go for it. (although buying new wouldn't be my advice - I'd look for a nice refurb or off-lease) For AutoCAD, you can stick with a consumer grade PC. The dual core thing is really overrated right now. As stated, unless it's multi-threaded app, it does no good.

I use a dell with pen 4ht processor and 3 gig of ram and the best graphics card dell offered and I still want more. i too would stay away from vista since it slows everything down and there is still alot of bugs when usind cad/cam. seems ive been seeing alot of that around pm lately.

As failsafe says, xp64 does not help unless the software takes advantage of it, fortunatly for my our programming software does, but there are now some programs that I had on my computer that no longer work, all your windows programs will work but some others will not. I found that it was worth the tradeoff, many times when I look in my task manager I am hovering close to 4GB, and still calculating toolpaths, that is where the 64bit helps me out.

If you have really large and complex files xp64 (with a compatible CAD), is the way to go. Due to limitations of 32 bit, ordinary XP cannot use more than 2GB ram for any one program (well, strictly speaking program process) and that 2GB limit will be very restrictive with large files.

(Now there is a way to circumvent this with some CAD programs to get up to a 3 GB limit, but that only move the problem a bit - xp64 solves it properly).

Nearing or hitting the limit will usually cause frequent crashes, having to close all other programs and processes, and finally not being able to run at all. (Or, the most evil consequence - not being able to reopen your saved file... )

I'd say stick with a single core processor.

I got a dual core on new my box that is actually a little slower than my old single one since the software I use is 32 bit and only uses the other processor for boolean operations. IT dept. didn't ask me if I wanted it, but rather it showed up one day.

2 gig of ram handles most everything fine, but if the files get over 150 meg it can get slow.

I suggest the best video card you can afford without buying the extremes, and a single core CPU.

The GeForce 7950GT is probably the best bang-for-the-buck video card out right now. About $150 after rebates. You won't get it this cheap if you buy from Dell. It's pretty much as fast as the newer 8600GTS cards but without DX10, which you doesn't matter.

Don't cheap out too much on the CPU/Mobo. Make sure the mobo has a PCI-x16 slot or you won't be able to use the vid card.

2 gig of ram handles most everything fine, but if the files get over 150 meg it can get slow.
I will agree with that, but then there are those occasions when it doesn't handle it. And you certainly still need to handle it, and without a handle on it, you have no way of handling it... etc...

I guess it depends on the kind of work you do, and how critical it is to be able to handle everything.

Boy it seems, at least at Dell, all they push is the dual core processors. I can't find a customizable system that has a fast single core processor. They like showing the benchmarks how a dual core processor is 34% faster than an old Pentium single core processor.
So, can anyone recommend a company that puts a screaming single core motherboard into their computers?
I can't imagine upgrading all my software (when available) to take advantage of the dual core processors. Heck, I still use Office '97. That is 1997!. It would appear that the chip manufacturers have hit the wall with processor speed (finally), and have dedided to throw out dual core processors even though there is a severe lack of software that can use them. And at that, you need to be running multiple threads to really take advantage of them.

Thanks,
Scott

Based on what you've laid out, your computing needs aren't really intense enough to worry too much about the issues that appear to be your concern. (some of these guys are turning your crank a little too hard) A dual core, while not benefitting you with the CAD software, will be just fine. Seriously, it's AutoCAD - it almost runs on a pocket calculator.

Don't dump tons of money into an AutoCAD box. A Dell computer will do just fine, without the top end Nvidia cards.

Why don't you ask your Autodesk reseller what they recommend? They are the ones who will have to support you, so their advice is much better placed.

You can also examine the Core2Extreme. Yes it is another dual core chipset, but of all the chips out on the market right now (for PC/Workstations), this chip will give you the most bang for the buck. Yes it is a little more expensive, but it is also a little more green than the others and a LOT faster.

If you plan to do video editing in the future and wish to make the editing and production fast and effective, the Core2Extreme will fit the bill.

Normally I would tout the abilities of the AMD proc family. You can get an Athlon 64 from Dell, which is single core cpu. The Athlon 64 is a great CPU, but does require additional consideration in regards to cooling apparatuses, especially when working with software programs that create a load of any significant stature for a long period of time. The Core2Extreme does not seem to suffer from this same situation.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you don't need to necessarily update your software to take advantage of the dual core CPU. While older systems are not setup to spread their instructions over several different CPU's, you can run more than one app without suffering a major performance hit in one or the other.

As for Graphics Cards, failsafe7 always seems to have the right idea in this regards. If you are not trying to do all of this within a tight budget, go with one of the NVidia Quadro series cards. Nvidia always seem to have the most stable drivers.

Regards

Back