What's new
What's new

What exactly is a data server?

thunderskunk

Cast Iron
Hey Gents,

I've got a Robodrill with 16i-MB control on it, using Fanuc's own FTP across an embedded Ethernet connection directly connected into the desktop. Works great, but the organic memory is less than 1Mb. I tried using a PCMCIA adapter with an SD card, but the Methods guy said I've got the wrong one.

The main question is: What is a data server? Does it need to be an actual server with a server OS on it or can it be any old computer with disk space? Or does it have to be made by Fanuc to work with Fanuc? Does it have to even be a separate computer?

I've seen a lot of posts saying it's super easy to set up and use, but not much about the actual process. The ultimate goal here is to get bigger programs on the machine, so if I've missed something let me know. I would love to use HSM's CIMCO DNC, but it sounds like that won't work through the embedded Ethernet, only RS-232.

Hey Gents,

I've got a Robodrill with 16i-MB control on it, using Fanuc's own FTP across an embedded Ethernet connection directly connected into the desktop. Works great, but the organic memory is less than 1Mb. I tried using a PCMCIA adapter with an SD card, but the Methods guy said I've got the wrong one.

Under the covers, the Fanuc control is basically a crazy complicated PLC system based on kinda ancient tech. They bolt a bunch of stuff onto this core control to offer more advanced features (like Contour Control, NURBS, tool centerpoint control, the new iHMI interface, etc), but the core pipeline is very very old. Hence, even the latest Robodrill's come from the factory with a whopping 2MB of natively accessible control memory.

This is why you're PCMICA card with an SD adapter isn't working; the system is very very sensitive to the kind of memory cards it can address. Go on eBay and snag some old, 1GB or smaller, CF cards, and a PCMICA to CF adapter. SD cards are too new for older Fanuc controls to address.

The Data Server option is about $50 worth of hardware that Fanuc charges $2000 for, and it bolts onto the main PLC, integrating very directly with the old pipeline. You send files to the data server, and it basically drip-feeds automatically into the control. Unlike drip feeding off of a CF card or networked computer, a program running off the Data Server can call subs, be re-started in the middle of the program, etc.

I bought 2 new 4GB CF cards this year from my local photo supply. They work fine in my fanucs with 4GB partitions. The trick is in the formatting. They need to be reformatted to the FAT16 standard configuration before use.

You can call subs from the card with an M198.

I bought 2 new 4GB CF cards this year from my local photo supply. They work fine in my fanucs with 4GB partitions. The trick is in the formatting. They need to be reformatted to the FAT16 standard configuration before use.

You can call subs from the card with an M198.

THIS..

No need to seek old goods.

Faster and cheaper to buy wotever is cheap but "too big", then partition and format it to basically discard anything over 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB - ANYTHING your target system can't use, so long as placed into the first chunk of space. Laptop can do that if the machine-tool is unable or overly gnarly at it.

It will no longer even "see" the wasted space.

OTHER OS'en can do.. but that's gilding of lillies class stuff, and potentially confusing, so best not, cheap as the media has become.

The Data Server option is about $50 worth of hardware that Fanuc charges $2000 for...

That sounds familiar...

I was hoping this wasn't the case. It sounds like it would have the features I'd want ie. scrolling through the program, and if I could go back in time I would have set it up that way from the start. Heck, if I add up all the time and money I've dumped into all the other options, it might not be far off from what it costs.

I'll look into reformatting the card FAT16 tomorrow and see if it just takes as is. If not, I might even break out the RS-232 before buying more PCMCIA stuff.

I might even break out the RS-232 before buying more PCMCIA stuff.

Well, may want to forget about the serial stuff ( RS232 ) and just roll with the PCMCIA instead.

Them Japs have never really figured out the idea behind a serial comms, and as a result all of their stuff sucked using so.
Not only in machining, but also very much in the medical field as well .
Toshiba, Shimadzu or any other manufacturer of CT, MR, NM, US and XR equipment ... they've all sucked in talking to anyone/EVERYONE using
serial Comms

And to bring it home to the machining field, just look at the Brother EDM machines up-to 2003.
Cabling, protocol and all else is fucked up...!

Go with the ancient PCMCIA 'stead.

you said it was an SD card.

it must be a Compact Flash card

Oops. Got a bit confused there.

How about these?:

Amazon.com: PCMCIA Compact Flash PC CF Card Reader Adapter: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: HuaDaWei New 1GB Compact Flash CF Memory Card Speed Up to 50MB/s CF-1.0G Digital Camera Memory Cards: Computers & Accessories

I'm pleasantly surprised that I've already got a CF card reader sitting on the desk; was wondering what the heck that port was...

The compact flash card is the way better option. In addition to formatting being important, so is the initial partitioning. From the factory, a lot of compact flash cards are not compatible, seemingly. I used to have 2 cards that no matter what I did to format them, they would not mount in any of our controls. Format in a PC, format in a control, FAT16, didn't matter. Then I happened upon a PDF written by Tim Markoski (RIP Tim) about partitioning a CF card. That worked and now no card in my possession does not work. I have partitioned and formatted many up to 4 Gigs and 1 16 Gig with a 4 Gig partition.

There is another option that Fanuc will not openly talk about and that is the "PC TOOL FOR MEMORY CARD PROGRAM OPERATION/EDITING " This option is standard on all 30 series controls and Oi-F and an option on others. With that, you must purchase the PC tool for adding programs to the card. This makes any card up to 4 Gig act like internal program memory with full edit, search, mid-program restart and save/delete functions, create folders. The PC tool is only about $100 and can be purchased from Fanuc.

Paul

Oops. Got a bit confused there.

How about these?:

Amazon.com: PCMCIA Compact Flash PC CF Card Reader Adapter: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: HuaDaWei New 1GB Compact Flash CF Memory Card Speed Up to 50MB/s CF-1.0G Digital Camera Memory Cards: Computers & Accessories

I'm pleasantly surprised that I've already got a CF card reader sitting on the desk; was wondering what the heck that port was...

That's exactly what you want. Do not buy anything over 4 Gigs since that is the theoretical limit on a Fanuc control. But Fanuc will sell you a 16 Gig card for $740.

The compact flash card is the way better option. In addition to formatting being important, so is the initial partitioning. From the factory, a lot of compact flash cards are not compatible, seemingly. I used to have 2 cards that no matter what I did to format them, they would not mount in any of our controls. Format in a PC, format in a control, FAT16, didn't matter. Then I happened upon a PDF written by Tim Markoski (RIP Tim) about partitioning a CF card. That worked and now no card in my possession does not work. I have partitioned and formatted many up to 4 Gigs and 1 16 Gig with a 4 Gig partition.

There is another option that Fanuc will not openly talk about and that is the "PC TOOL FOR MEMORY CARD PROGRAM OPERATION/EDITING " This option is standard on all 30 series controls and Oi-F and an option on others. With that, you must purchase the PC tool for adding programs to the card. This makes any card up to 4 Gig act like internal program memory with full edit, search, mid-program restart and save/delete functions, create folders. The PC tool is only about $100 and can be purchased from Fanuc.

Paul

curious about more info on this, how do you set it up?

curious about more info on this, how do you set it up?

On the newer controls, the option is already there. If you go to EDIT>>>>DEVICE CHANGE, there should be 2 mem card buttons, the one on the right is the normal mem card usage button. The one on the left is the program view, edit, search, etc. function. The PC Tool creates a special file on the card containing the programs you want to run. It does not install into WINDOWS but runs as an app., just a small executable. You drag and drop program onto and off of the card as needed. You tube video below.

YouTube

On the newer controls, the option is already there. If you go to EDIT>>>>DEVICE CHANGE, there should be 2 mem card buttons, the one on the right is the normal mem card usage button. The one on the left is the program view, edit, search, etc. function. The PC Tool creates a special file on the card containing the programs you want to run. It does not install into WINDOWS but runs as an app., just a small executable. You drag and drop program onto and off of the card as needed. You tube video below.

YouTube

thank you!

Back