What's new
What's new

What is there besides Solidworks?

Neslob660

Aluminum
It has been a while since I've looked into cad/cam packages. We are a production job shop with a mix of Citizens, Mazak Quick-turns/Multiplexes, Nakamura's, Kitamura & Doosan 3 & 4 axis mills. From what I gather by talking to our machine tool distributors and reading on here, I believe Esprit would be the best cam solution for us, but I'm not sure about cad. I understand that Solidworks is a huge player in this realm, but are there any other cad packages worth looking at? You input would be of great help.

Thanks, Brian

I like our inventor from Autodesk. I have no experience with solidworks so I couldn't do a comparison. They're a similar software tho... Assemblies, FEA, presentations... Etc

Not many people would consider Esprit's CAD a serious package. Experts with licenses usually hate it.

lots of players run inside of solidworks.

I am a Gibbs Cam programmer and love Solidworks too. Both work hand in hand seamlessly. After 30 years I am sold.. Just saying.

I've heard nothing but good things about Solidworks, and will likely go with it, but before laying down that much of the bosses money I want to get some opinions. Thanks!

Not many people would consider Esprit's CAD a serious package. Experts with licenses usually hate it.

lots of players run inside of solidworks.

Yeah, I've kinda heard the same thing. I'm looking at doing what kid5084 is doing, only with Esprit. I never intended on using Esprit's CAD. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with both Solidworks and another current CAD package. Thanks for the reply.

It has been a while since I've looked into cad/cam packages. We are a production job shop with a mix of Citizens, Mazak Quick-turns/Multiplexes, Nakamura's, Kitamura & Doosan 3 & 4 axis mills. From what I gather by talking to our machine tool distributors and reading on here, I believe Esprit would be the best cam solution for us, but I'm not sure about cad. I understand that Solidworks is a huge player in this realm, but are there any other cad packages worth looking at? You input would be of great help.

Thanks, Brian

TurboCAD might be a less expensive alternative. And for many applications Rhino 3D is a nice program.

SolidWorks is the most used CAD in the world, though AutoDesk is moving up with Fusion 360 and Inventor and SolidEdge is also good.

What I would do is check with your customer base and see what they use, that way you can take native files.

Another thing is SW is taught at a lot of community colleges and tons of online and printed books to learn.

yes I am a SW user since 97 and wouldn't be without it, the School has 3 CAM packages that run inside as well as surfcam that sees the SW changes and brings in the new geometry.

Yeah, I've kinda heard the same thing. I'm looking at doing what kid5084 is doing, only with Esprit. I never intended on using Esprit's CAD. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with both Solidworks and another current CAD package. Thanks for the reply.
I've used mastercam for solidworks. It is good. Associativity with geometry changes is ok. Depending on the level of changes your tool paths can really blow up, which defeates the purpose.
I'd imagine a mature product like NX to be better managing changes. Not sure.

I used to use PROE, Inventor when I was still a college student. After I switched to solidworks to do all the designing work, It didn't take long after it become my favorite. I don't see any reason why you would want to skip this amazing software.

It depends on a lot of things.
What kind of work do you do?
How much are you looking to spend?
How advanced are the people who will be using it?

I've never used Esprit, but people I know who use it says it's extremely powerful, but also a PITA
Solid works is a great program and easy to find people who already know how to use it. It also interfaces to many Cam packages.
IF you're looking for something high end, you can't beat Catia.

TurboCAD might be a less expensive alternative. And for many applications Rhino 3D is a nice program.

Not really looking for anything "less expensive" per-se and in fact we already have TurboCAD 16Pro. We mainly use it for 2d sketches and such. I am really wanting something that will work together with Esprit. Thanks for the reply!

Brian

It depends on a lot of things.
What kind of work do you do?
How much are you looking to spend?
How advanced are the people who will be using it?

I've never used Esprit, but people I know who use it says it's extremely powerful, but also a PITA
Solid works is a great program and easy to find people who already know how to use it. It also interfaces to many Cam packages.
IF you're looking for something high end, you can't beat Catia.

We have pretty much decided upon Esprit because I'm told it is the best package for millturns, multi-axis twin-spindle, swiss machining, etc. This is what is recommended Citizen, Nakamura, and Esprit is currently working Mazak.

I also understand that Solidworks integrates very well with Esprit and have heard nothing but good things about it. It sounds like this is the direction I will go.

Thanks for you input, Larry.

Brian

Not really looking for anything "less expensive" per-se and in fact we already have TurboCAD 16Pro. We mainly use it for 2d sketches and such. I am really wanting something that will work together with Esprit. Thanks for the reply!

Brian

I have no experience with Esprint, but am using Solidworks (since version 96) and have been using it with Solidcam, Camworks, Mastercam and HSM works. At one time I was working in Inventor and Turbocad as well.
Solidwork is a "solid" program with the benefit of a large user base and it integrates (or exports) nicely to many CAM programs. Of course after 20 years of use it is difficult for me to have an unbiased opinion, but I do find Rhino with Rhinocam a fun alternative for small parts, especially more "artistic" and involving 3D printing or engraving.

If you go with Esprit, hold back full payment until you have a good post for all your machines. We had a lot of grief getting a good post for our Integrex.

Dan

If you go with Esprit, hold back full payment until you have a good post for all your machines. We had a lot of grief getting a good post for our Integrex.

Dan

I've heard this too ^ but no first hand experience. I have also heard Esprit is top notch for mill turns and swiss style lathes.

It does a good job, but the user interface is circa Windows NT. I can't stress that post comment enough. Don't believe what they tell you about having a good post. Have them prove it out on all of your machines. We went through a lot of grief to get a good working post.

Dan

jeez, between mastercam's makeover and now this..

Esprit's issues didn't seem surface deep to me though, seemingly loads of workflow problems too..

What problems did you encounter with the workflow in Esprit? I find it very straightforward, but I guess it comes down to what you're familiar with.

Back