What's new
What's new

Where to buy BobCad v30?

Brian_C

Plastic
I am new to this site but I got a couple questions. I am a CNC Machinist and I've always done my own programs well now I am moving into a programmer role.I feel that if I am going to the take the time to learn BobCAD,I'm going to really learn it,as I want to be very good at my job(same approach I took to machining).Anyway I'm interested in purchasing BobCad V30 for my personal laptop that way I will have as part of toolbox,I just need a little direction in where to go to get the best price on it.Is going straight to BobCad my best option? I also would appreciate it if someone could let me know if a AMD Radeon r5 graphics card will work good with v30 of bobcad or not? I appreciate any help....

it probably won't run on your laptop. It needs a dedicated graphics card, not intergraded. I use BobCad, HATE it. if you have a change in design. you are better off starting over with a new drawing. I am looking at Creo. not sure yet though

I like BobCad support, always helped. But even on the simplest 3D drawing, your screwed if you want to change anything. It was pretty easy to learn. But if you are serious, there has to be a better program that doesn't cost as much as a small house.

It's called parametric. I think Solidworks parts only is around $2000 or something like that. They list standard as the cheapest but below that they have, parts assemblies and drawings, parts and assemblies, parts only

I am new to this site but I got a couple questions. I am a CNC Machinist and I've always done my own programs well now I am moving into a programmer role.I feel that if I am going to the take the time to learn BobCAD,I'm going to really learn it,as I want to be very good at my job(same approach I took to machining).Anyway I'm interested in purchasing BobCad V30 for my personal laptop that way I will have as part of toolbox,I just need a little direction in where to go to get the best price on it.Is going straight to BobCad my best option? I also would appreciate it if someone could let me know if a AMD Radeon r5 graphics card will work good with v30 of bobcad or not? I appreciate any help....

Contact Bobcad directly and see what they have for pricing.

A friend of mine uses Bobcad and does some very complex machining so it's evidently a very capable program.

Contact Bobcad directly and see what they have for pricing.

A friend of mine uses Bobcad and does some very complex machining so it's evidently a very capable program.

Make sure you use a burner prepaid phone and a disposable email account.

Make sure you use a burner prepaid phone and a disposable email account.

I did a demo of BobCAD back in January. I ended up going with Fusion, but I never was harassed by their sales team. I had one follow-up call, which is very reasonable, but when I told them I went in another direction, they were very polite and I've never heard from them since. Maybe they've given up on their old habits?

Dan

I'd have to agree with a lot of folks in that the CAD portion of BobCAD/CAM has something to be desired. I'm still using V21 but sounds like those using later versions still suffer the same problem of changing things once made and saved out.

I think were BobCAD's forte is more in it's CAM and how closely integrated it is with the CAD. Not saying the CAM doesn't have it's problems, which I'm certain have gotten better then the dreaded V23 that I also own and never use. I think the newer versions come with some simulation, but even the older version like I use will back-plot honest to god G code. Not as nice as simulation, but you can tell a lot if you know what you're looking for amidst the back-plotted lines.

But to my point... The OP says he wants to be a programmer. As far as I'm concerned, programmers take customer files and create tool paths from them. The only thing you need CAD for is displaying the part on your screen and using its existing elements to create tool paths with. Changing the customer file using CAD is not something a programmer typically does, so having sort of crappy CAD is not as bad to a programmer as is having crappy CAM. BobCAD will open just about any file type out there. What more does a programmer need? Heck, I do 98% of my programming off of 2d dxf files. To me as a programmer, CAD is the side show.

1) BobCAD CAM V30 is not for sale, In the past you could purchase older versions from users but changes in the ULA a few years ago stopped this option. As far as making a BobCAD purchase your best bet would be to get the new V33 package.

2) Making changes to the design, V27 was the first BobCAD version that used a history tree for 3D designs. 6 Versions later and improvements have been made to the history tree and it's features and options. You can update design changes using the history tree. That said 2D design in wire frame doesn't have a history and BobCAD is not a parametric design system. But you do have options to update single entity data.

3) Sales process and team has changed over the last few years. Currently there are multiple price points and ownership options to meet the diverse need of the user base. As a company BobCAD has always offered "options" for the user base most of which other vendors didn't offer, as far as purchase, renewal etc... 2020 is no different with 3 ways users can purchase BobCAD products. License purchase, Advantage plan + and subscription (timed license) BobCAD as a brand understands the markets desire for a perpetual license and other than the new subscription packages, our license and advantage plan + ownership routes offer a perpetual license. For those smaller shops / budgets limited use users a new subscription options is being launched for our more basic programs at lower costs. That said the subscription option is a timed license that expires within 12 months and would require renewal for use.

4) Management Change, At the end of 2019 BobCAD CAM software was acquired by Harris Computers. New SR management and corporate oversite has been put in place. It's been a great transition, not only in the product offering but company values and a big focus on customer experience. I for one are very excited for what's to come and IMO it's never been a better time to be a BobCAD customer.

If you are a BobCAD user and you have unanswered questions or if there is anything I can personally help with please let me know. My cell phone number is 727-479-6328 just send me a text message because I don't pick up calls.

No, it's because I have publicly posted my cell phone in CAD CAM forums for years. I prefer to know what the conversation will be about before I take the call. By sending a text first allows me to accomplish that.

Al has been super helpful to many people for years. I've been a bobcad customer for a long time. There were dark days for bobcad, and Al helped them through that, IMHO.

It's called parametric. I think Solidworks parts only is around $2000 or something like that. They list standard as the cheapest but below that they have, parts assemblies and drawings, parts and assemblies, parts only

I would choose Catia or NX any day over SW. Just my opinion. NX and Catia are much more flexible. I use all 3.

Back