What's new
What's new

Y Axis Face Milling - Mill Turn Programming Question

aldepoalo

Stainless
Let's say you're programming a mill turn machine that has both C and Y.

You have a part with a "pocket" feature on the face that if you tried to program with the Y axis, the needed X moves would be out of the travel limits of the machine.

You don't want to use C and you don't want to use polar.

How do you handle programming face features that are outside of the X travel of the machine?

Like in this example.

2019-09-19_13-21-43.jpg

A standard pocket cycle would create both Y and X moves on the X+ and X- side of the part. With most machines having limited X- travel, what would be your approach?

Currently I am creating a boundary for the area of the pocket that would be in the X limit of the machine, then I index and repeat.

2019-09-19_13-31-53.jpg

This is essentially how we program our largest parts in our shop. We separate the face into sections that we can reach, machine, then index and repeat.

Either tha'ts one of those parts that plays tricks on your eyes or that is a Boss not a pocket. Either way, I get what you are trying to do and yes you could unlock the C and rotate then lock it up again to finish the feature. But my question is why would you not want to use C polar in this case?

Either tha'ts one of those parts that plays tricks on your eyes or that is a Boss not a pocket. Either way, I get what you are trying to do and yes you could unlock the C and rotate then lock it up again to finish the feature. But my question is why would you not want to use C polar in this case?

When you're getting close the centre like that polar isn't so great, lots of jerky C axis motion while it struggles to maintain the feedrate.

Cartesian motion generally just works better.

When you're getting close the centre like that polar isn't so great, lots of jerky C axis motion while it struggles to maintain the feedrate.

Cartesian motion generally just works better.

Or you have a part that is 36" in diameter on the end you are machining vs 12" where you are chucking and you have to put a carjack under it to act as a steady rest to keep it from sagging .

You are correct it's a boss and I am using a pocketing toolpath. The main reason why I am not using C or Polar is to there is a tight tolerance and locking C and cutting with Y is a more ridged setup.

Back