What's new
What's new

21st century machinist needs shop!

james siffel

Cast Iron
I am a cnc machinist who can set up, edit, prove, troubleshoot, run, and inspect any part made from any material on any machine. I've never had edm experience but I would pick it up just fine. I have working knowledge of tool life management, load monitoring, in process gaging, lights out production, all in one machining , and a true disciple of lean thinking. I understand gdt thoroughly, and also interchangeability. I have run 2,3,4,5,7, and 9 axis mills,lathes, mill/turns, and multi tasking machining centers.
I need a shop that is serious and wants employees who take iniative and love what they do. My current job doesn't show any respect or appreciation or reward hard workers who innovate as well as motivate . I live in southeastern Pennsylvania about 30 minutes north of Philadelphia . I will take all serious inquiries into consideration, please just private message me with your companies email.

No one is going to give you the respect that you deserve (assuming that you are what you say you are).

With the skill set that you offer, you need to open up your own shop, either in machining for others, or producing your own product. I am not saying that it is a bed of roses, but the greatest satisfaction that you will ever get will be when you close the door at night on your own shop and you can say that "I did it my way" (apologies to Frank). Trying to get appreciation and respect from an employer (particularly when you do not fit the mold that they envision for you) is an impossible goal. The more creativity that you bring to the operation makes you less and less adaptable to someone else's direction.
I am not implying that you cannot take direction, but it is almost impossible to find forward thinking owners (particularly in this business climate) that are risk takers. Doing things that have been done in exactly the same way as before will not work in the incredibly rapid changes that we will see in the next ten years.

Lee (the saw guy)

How far are you willing to commute, how far are you willing to relocate?

You need to volunteer that information, perhaps someone has a need for you, but you would need to relocate or commute.

Shops have been started "sleeping next to the mill". It's not glamorous, it's tough on relationships (and dating, perhaps), but it has worked in the past.

I agree with everything that has been said in this thread already especially this: "James, my opinion is that the only person who is going to pay you what you are worth is you." I guess that's why i sleep next to my mill.

Very mixed replies on here. I'm not sure where I can across as needing a pat on the head? I'm just looking for an employer who can treat their employees fairly, as mandated by law. Which they somehow continue to forget. Btw, now proficient programmer also. Any machine, any software, any part. Northern philly suburbs will commute for the right job. If not not interested in a good solid, very malleable machinist, then why are you replying to this post???

Soo, you started the thread in oct. of 2012, and in may of 2013 you add "now proficient programmer also". does that mean in oct. of 2012 you were not a proficient programmer? May want to check your verbiage there.

Here is a little insight as to why people who are not looking for you, are posting in your thread. It would appear you are looking for a handout. If you are what you say you are, go get a better job. You may have to relocate.

Chances are that if an employer is in need of somebody such as yourself, they have an add someplace. Its up to you to find them, not them to find you. They are busy.

P.S. you didn't come across as needing a pat on the head. you patted your own head just fine.

James...I must ask....Is this he same place your working now???

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...wanted/good-company-hiring-phila-area-243533/

If so...what happened in 7 months to do a complete 180?

The thread in question:

My employer has been actively hiring for a while, huge growth and opportunities are numerous, very modern, clean forward thinking environment with very skilled cnc/manual machinists. They are Stein Seal in Kulpsville pa, just 5 minutes from the lansdale exit of the nOrtheast extension of the pa turnpike. I've been here a little over a year and I love working here. Very competitive pay, benefits, and possibility of overtime is very common. Please do not use my name as a reference, as we do not know each other. Just thought I'd help make a connection for my employer who has been good to me and any skilled or looking to become skilled machinists with a good work ethic.

Me again, ugh, im just looking to make good money and make someone a ton of money. I can run anything, ive proven this over and over. I can do job shop stuff as well as kick ass in production. I barely ever crash machines or tools, im meticulous, efficient, and i take great pride in my work and take ownership in my areas i work as well as the machines i run. I have always worked well with others, even the most difficult. My previous post explains the rest. If you need someone like me please pm me, i just need stability, decent pay, o/t, and a shop thats knows what they are doing and just want to make money.

In reply (finally) to the previously asked question, it is a good shop, i was just put in a situation that was unfortunate to what i wanted at that time, you know what they say " grass is always greener", id go back there, i miss alot of those people, so , No it wasnt a 180° , it was just the frustration we all experience throughout our careers

Back