What's new
What's new

From cnc machinist to...

Spyker

Plastic
Hi. I have bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering. I worked around 8 years as cnc machinist-miller. I have basics with cad, cam software, as solidworks, mastercam, edgecam, etc. I wanna change my job, cause i'm tired due shifts, overtime, working on weekends and holidays, weak health, poisonous atmosphere in workplace with colleagues and managers. Maybe somebody can recommend what kind of job, I can find with that experience? What I need to learn, or study more by myself? I wanna something non stressfull job. Sorry for english, and thanks.

Maybe you should be a social media influencer...

Seriously though, here in the USA you could get about any job you wanted. Not having experience in a chosen career does not mean you cannot get hired, but it may mean you will not be paid as well as your current job.

But apparently you flunked "technical writing 101" eh ?

Try a better title sir/madam.

How’s your Lithuanian?
Yep. Give it a rest, ehh Doug? This shit and the spammer shit has gone from mildly entertaining to very annoying in record time. And now his thread is officially derailed by no fault of his own.

Don't be like Gordon.

Machine tool sales.
Good one. I was in few interwiews few years ago. One says they don't need engineers, they need sales managers, another says they need engineers, but not sales managers, cause you must have knowledge about tools, feeds, speeds, materials and etc. Also it's not good, risky field, - you get new car, new phone, have a good look, but if not showing results, and not sell anything, you get minimum vage, get fired, or employer do that you leave by yourself...

Hi. I have bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering. I worked around 8 years as cnc machinist-miller. I have basics with cad, cam software, as solidworks, mastercam, edgecam, etc. I wanna change my job, cause i'm tired due shifts, overtime, working on weekends and holidays, weak health, poisonous atmosphere in workplace with colleagues and managers. Maybe somebody can recommend what kind of job, I can find with that experience? What I need to learn, or study more by myself? I wanna something non stressfull job. Sorry for english, and thanks.

A friend had a job taking the ladies shopping from a very high class golf course resort..He said it was a fun job..Go figure.

A friend had a job taking the ladies shopping from a very high class golf course resort..He said it was a fun job..Go figure.

As much as I hate shopping with MY wife (my money), this is a career I could get into.

Anyways, OP, have you thought about technical sales for the likes of sandvik?
Cutting tool sales types need to have a strong technical background.

Good one. I was in few interwiews few years ago. One says they don't need engineers, they need sales managers, another says they need engineers, but not sales managers, cause you must have knowledge about tools, feeds, speeds, materials and etc. Also it's not good, risky field, - you get new car, new phone, have a good look, but if not showing results, and not sell anything, you get minimum vage, get fired, or employer do that you leave by yourself...
That is true for any job you will have. If you don't perform, you will be let go.

That is true for any job you will have. If you don't perform, you will be let go.

I dont know about Penn, but around here a lot of the really good toolmakers have moved up or out. The trade just doesn't pay what it needs to anymore.
The stress of running a million dollar 5 axis machine, and not fucking up a $50000 part simply isn't worth $30-$35 an hour and 2 weeks "vacation". I can go milk cows for 27 hourly, if the mood strikes me. Same shitty hours, but near zero risk of screwing up. Especially when the bossman refuses to spend the coin on vericut or similar.

There are only so many days you can pucker your arsehole everytime you hit go, and then SLOWLY let things feed in. Then you get shit for being too slow.
I hear about it all the time from guys I know.
Too slow and careful, your a dumbass. Smash the machine, scrap a part, your a dumbass.

I totally can appreciate anyone wanting to transition out of the trade, and Ive been gainfully employed in it for over 20 years. :codger:

As far as shitcanning guys that DONT perform, I've not seen it happen in my entire time in the trade. Seems employers are more than happy to have something with a pulse show up and chase puppies all day.

I think it comes down to simple pride for a lot of us.
I love what I do, but at the end of the day, if I had to beat myself up week in and out, Im out.

Start your own business. Freelance designers and engineers are needed all over Europe. Or scrounge up some money and start your own machine shop. That's what I did.

Back