What's new
What's new

CNC Service Tech

scuzy

Plastic
Greetings
I am a cnc service tech and have been for several years. I am very good at my job and I am trying to find out what I am worth and perhaps find a new job as a cnc tech, facilities maintenance, or machinist. Here is a brief description of my education and capabilities.

Attended the best machining tech school in the state and became the top student graduating with honors.
Worked as CNC Service Engineer for two years repairing mills and lathes, trained customers, installed new machines.
Worked with mechanical, and electrical systems as well as pneumatics, hydraulics, and software.
Fluent in G and M code, assist customers with finding programming errors.
Customers specifically ask for me when they have a problem.
Territory consists of an entire state.
Typical work week is 50 hours.

Thanks
Scuzy

Greetings
I am a cnc service tech and have been for several years. I am very good at my job and I am trying to find out what I am worth and perhaps find a new job as a cnc tech, facilities maintenance, or machinist. Here is a brief description of my education and capabilities.

Attended the best machining tech school in the state and became the top student graduating with honors.
Worked as CNC Service Engineer for two years repairing mills and lathes, trained customers, installed new machines.
Worked with mechanical, and electrical systems as well as pneumatics, hydraulics, and software.
Fluent in G and M code, assist customers with finding programming errors.
Customers specifically ask for me when they have a problem.
Territory consists of an entire state.
Typical work week is 50 hours.

Thanks
Scuzy

Willing to move? My machine dealer is looking for people out here in Cali.

Where are Mountain States? Depending on where you are at service techs are hard to find and decent ones (like the one I left behind when I moved from Southern California) don't exist. Depending on what models you are familiar with, the number of techs for those in your area, you may be sitting on a pile of gold. I would do a little bit of research and think about becoming self employed. The independent guys around me charge more per hour to drive, than they do to work and you are stuck paying it because there isn't many of them. Would you rather work 20-30 hours a week or more for up to $100+ an hour or have a steady $25 an hour 40 hours a week?

I am in Utah and I work on HAAS brand machines. Although I am very interested in learning others. I am not interested in moving to California, sorry dstryr.

Self employment is an interesting idea. It has been my experience that dealers and manufactures dont play to well with independent techs, and they can have problems getting parts. They also may not be able to work on some machines because of warranty issues, and I'm not sure how the insurance works.

I suspect that I am under payed and I am trying to find out what I am worth and perhaps move to a job where I make what I am worth.

Thanks
Scuzy

Since you are Scuzzy from Utah you could probably list your pay and no one would no who you are. The bulk of my experience with factory techs goes back quite a few years and was in Southern California. Most of them were paid about the same as prevailing wages for non union machinists where they were based so in So Cal right now that would be $15 for minimal experience up to $27 for the cream of the crop. Unfortunately I saw a trend of most factory techs in the field having minimal experience constantly on the phone with the "cream of the crop" guys in the office. So I think they look at their field guys as being expendable. Of course I can only speak for two companies, others may be vastly different.

Be careful if you wish to go independent on Haas.

It has been my experience that, if they sent your customer a defective part, there is a good chance they will not warranty it if an independent installs it.

Any other MTB's / control OEM's have always honored their warranties with us installing.

Pissin' match to say the least.

Up here, the local HAAS techs get paid about $18 an hour from their employer. Some of them (at least the guy who tried to realign the turret on my HAAS lathe by beating on it with a 4x4 and a sledge hammer) aren't worth even that. Independent techs rate $85 to $140 an hour working for themselves.

Interestingly, the better techs that do work for other companies seem to be self employed free lancers who work on the side for a larger company and get paid more than most of the techs, but less than their independent rate. The deal benefits both parties, because they don't have to hunt up work.

Back