What's new
What's new

Entry Level Machinist Looking for the Right Manual or CNC Position

barrelroll

Aluminum
Hello my name is Andy and I'm looking for an entry level manual or CNC machinist position some where in the US. I'm willing to relocate for the right job. I had taught high school shop for 4 years and last fall decided I had enough with teaching and enrolled in a 1 year CNC Operator Certificate program at Northern Michigan University. This winter I was enrolled in a co-op at a local broach company. They started me out in the inspection room and then moved me to the turning department where I ran an Okuma lathe with Fanuc controls, an older Lagunamatic CNC lathe, and a manual engine lathe 2 days a week. Yesterday I got a call saying work had slowed down in the shop and they could not offer me a full time position when I graduate like they had originally planned. I'm planning on graduating the beginning of May and am available for work Monday May 6th.

I'm looking for the right entry level position to broaden my skill set and help your company with my can do attitude and creative problem solving methods. I won't lie to you and say I have tons of experience and am 100% self sufficient but I do have a little more experience than some one that has never stepped foot in a machine shop.

Some of my skills I have learned through school and my co-op are:
-Precision measurement
-Print reading
-Basic G Code
-Indicating stock in a 4 jaw chuck and indicating vises on a mill
-Operation of CNC machines including an Okuma Lathe with Fanuc controls, Hass CNC mill and lathe with Hass controls. Skills include: loading programs, setting offsets, loading parts, and writing basic G Code programs. Every time I'm on a CNC machine it seems I learn a little more and become more efficient. I won't guarantee I could walk in and run your machine without a little guidance I could be making chips quickly.
-Manual engine lathe operation including OD turning and threading
-Manual mill operation including facing, milling and drilling

If I'm someone you are interested in please let me know a little more about the position you and looking to fill and where to send my resume. I'm a hard worker with a consistent work experience and references that can vouch for my work ethic.

Thanks for reading this,
Andy

Good luck with your search. Most shops are more than happy to give a guy with some ambition and the ability to learn a shot. Shouldnt be too hard to find something!

Back