What's new
What's new

ISO Critics...come one, come all!

Stubocca

Plastic
Hey guys! I'm very new to the industry and brand new to the forum (as you can see). I hope you can bare with me through this. I'm only trying to be thorough for the sake of any missing or over-exemplified information. I'm fresh and new and trying to break into the industry and I know that's a hard thing to do. And belieeeve me, I'm definitely going through the rigors of proving my worth, call after call, interview after interview. The following is what I basically, softly, try to lay out to potential employers (after I get the call in for an interview). I do have what we could all describe to be 2 major problems in my endeavor: 1) I have no direct "on the job" manufacturing experience, and 2) My "criminal" background is less than sterling. No felonies, just misdemeanors. I've never hurt anyone or stolen anything. The worst thing about my background is that I have 2 DWI's, one of which I deserved, and the other that was bad luck and crappy circumstance. I was going through a rough point in my life and I obtained them only 2 months apart from each other (accused; actually convicted 2 years apart). "If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all..." I'm not a bad person, I have many references and many good, professional friends. I hate hate hate that ones background is so very scrutinized and it honestly breaks my shit down and throws me into a downward spiral from time to time.

I have a natural knack for "all things mechanical" and my personality falls right in with the whole bit. I've tried my hardest towards getting into the industry but I'm obviously having a hard time. I'm a 27 year old white male and I've consistently bounced around different job fields (with career opportunities, mind you) kind of confused in what to make my profession. Truth be told, I've always had broad interests and developed a "jack of all trades" type of reputation with no one thing particularly grabbing my attention... Well, that has changed. Nothing has ever appealed to my interests and inclinations like engineering and machining have!

So, I went back to school through this scholarship called the "NC Back-to-Work Program" which targeted the Advanced Manufacturing industries. I chose Machining, and with it consisted these classes: Machining Technology I, Intro to CNC, CNC Turning and CNC Milling. I learned more than I had imagined and aced the classes without excessive effort, probably because it interested me as much as it did, and I'm still very hungry. With this I've obtained the first 2 Level 1 NIMS certificates (unfortunately that's all that my community college offers at this time) and with 1 more class I can obtain a school issued certificate and 3 more to obtain a diploma. And if I really want to, in 1 year I can have an Associates Degree in Machining with the ~20 credits that I've obtained before this program, giving me a little bit of a head start. Basically, I'm trying to stand out in the best way that I can without coming off as a "know it all" (schooling guys, right?) and without defying myself with my background.

I'm attaching my official cover letter and resume. Constructive criticism is appreciated! When I email my resume to potential employers, I usually include my cover letter in the body in plain text format (basically a copy+paste of the formal cover letter) under a short letter of interest in that particular position/company, with only attaching my formal resume.

Thanks in advance! I had to compress the files because they are too big themselves, so you'll have to extract them.

"Machining Cover Letter&Resume.zip"
View attachment Machining Cover letter&Resume.zip

Edit: Upon opening the individual files, you may need to "Enable Editing" to view them in their intended format.

...or not? Am I a total jackoff? Of course nobody is obligated, but I'm trying my hardest here and I would appreciate some professional input... At least tell me that I'm wasting my time and to F-off. Thanks anyways, I suppose.

I do understand, honestly. I'm going to try to find another solution since my cover letter alone comes to 25 kb...4.5 kb over the limit. The formatting I've done isn't all that fancy, just a little eye appeal. Even with that stripped away, it's still too big...

Edit: Since I can't edit my original post, I guess I'll have to post my edit here. Found a .pdf hosting site so I converted these mamma jammas to just that format and put them up. Hopefully this will suffice. :ack2:

Cover Letter
http://freepdfhosting.com/7f84a8e87b.pdf

Resume
http://freepdfhosting.com/82fe31ec09.pdf

Last edited:

Back