What's new
What's new

Looking For My Next Big Thing

charlie gary

Stainless
Hi Everybody,

I'll begin by quoting a statement I can make public.

"Planetary Resources ramped up over the past year to launch an audacious Space Resource Exploration Mission by 2020. The main customer for this mission delayed its investment, and the company had to reduce staff and focus its operations to preserve its long-term mission and vision."

That leaves me looking for another place to work. I am in contact with some people about possible opportunities, but in an effort to leave no stone unturned I am posting this here.

What did I do for the last 4-1/2 years? I built a machine shop from the ground up, which allowed us to build spacecraft parts for three launches. Also built all support hardware necessary to assemble and test spacecraft, as well as things like a sign for the building. Used SolidWorks CAD software to design fixtures and tooling, and SURFCAM Traditional for CAM programming. Recruited employees to work in the shop, and trained them in all aspects of shop safety, machine operation, part inspection, cleaning and proper handling. Trained employees in the proper use of CNC mills, lathes, water jet machines and 3D printers. Determined material sizes needed, ordered material and ensured all documentation related to material acquisition was properly completed and filed. Planned machining jobs, procured cutting tools and scheduled the work flow to ensure parts were completed on or before due dates.

Machines I have experience with-
CNC mills
CNC lathes
Manual mills
Manual lathes
Surface grinders
3D printers
Wire EDM
Ram EDM
Various support equipment like saws, pedestal grinders and polishers, hand-held power tools, etc.

Materials I have worked with-
Aluminum
Titanium
Invar
Inconel
Stainless Steels, including 17-4,15-5,303,304,316, Nitronic 50, Nitronic 60
Copper
Brass
Bronze
Fiberglass, Kevlar and carbon fiber composites
Macor ceramic
Rubbers
Plastics
Ultem
Torlon
Graphite
Polyimide
Wood
Various foams

I have professional management training, both military and civilian.

I'm sure there's plenty of info I've left off, but if I wrote it all down it would be a novel. If what you've read here piques your interest, send me a PM.

Charlie Gary

Sorry to hear that :o. I remember when they were recruiting. I was still working for A Big Company when they were recruiting otherwise I'd have tried to get in on it.

I can't help much with a hiring arrangement, but I will say it was a huge happiness boost when I switched over to working on my own. Have you considered your own shop? You can start out small, and grow it. I started out small, but am determined to keep it that way.

Regards.

Mike

Have you considered your own shop?

Regards.

Mike

I have, but I don't enjoy the sales part of it. Truth be told, I really don't like it at all. I would much rather have someone else doing the business end of things while I spend my time making one-of-a-kind parts, and that type of business is hard to sustain when you're a small shop.

Back