What's new
What's new

Looking for opinions on resume

macds

Hot Rolled
Im finding myself stagnated recently. Ive been offered a number of jobs over the past year (without applying), but none of them seem horribly interesting.
I am a continuous learner, and find myself interested in learning the control \ retrofit side of automation and machine tools.
I feel that I have very strong experience as far as the manufacturing end of things is concerned.

Have a look at my resume, and PLEASE voice opinions as to how I could clean it up, or gear it towards a shop supervisory or machine repair\retrofit direction.

Cheers!

Stu PM Resume

I was manager at a fortune top 50 company that company being a major gov contractor.
I had to read through many hundreds of resumes.
Hiring managers with many resumes to go through 'skim' read resumes, only focusing on key words in a sentence I do not know if that is the situation in the machining industry...but
My input:
Under "Skills and Experience" - get rid of all the superfluous words at the beginning of each "skill and Experience". E.g: "Able to...", "Experienced with...." etc.....
You already titled that section "Skills and Experience"
So just write; "Programing and operating CNC equipment using Mastercam . Esprit....."
Instead of; "Able to program and operate CNC equipment using Mastercam . Esprit......"
Eliminate repeating words at beginning of each 'skill' that do not need to be written at all.
Superfluous words - ELIMINATE
Get rid d of the section titled "ACCOMPLISHMENTS", and simply add that fact of your top 85% score into the section above "EDUCATION"
Try to minimize the resume length as much as possible. Anytime you see words repeated(e.g "Able to...") - figure out how to eliminate them

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your input.
The reason I placed the superfluous words was an attempt to convey the level of experience.
I do agree that they could most certainly be lost.
I've had numerous head hunters ask me to GREATLY expand on individual experience by employer to display skills and tasks performed. I do not agree with it personally, however, I receive a substantial amount of communication from people that ask for the same thing. Hence it's inclusion.

Thank you kgize, I really appreciate it :)

The reason I placed the superfluous words was an attempt to convey the level of experience.
I've had numerous head hunters ask me to GREATLY expand on individual experience by employer to display skills and tasks performed. :)

For clarity: I was NOT suggesting you should remove any of the skills and experiences listed. I was suggesting the beginning of each skill listed sentence structure might be changed to eliminate the first repeating (from skill to skill) words "ABLE TO", or "EXPERIENCE IN"...are repeated from sentence to sentence.
Not that big a deal - your resume actually reads quite well. I was often astounded at many of the resumes submitted to me (for high tech jobs)...that were just plain poor. Yours is good (although I am not any judge of your experience - just saying the resume structure, grammar, etc is good)

I've had numerous head hunters ask me to GREATLY expand on individual experience by employer to display skills and tasks performed. I do not agree with it personally, however, I receive a substantial amount of communication from people that ask for the same thing. Hence it's inclusion.

Thank you kgize, I really appreciate it :)

You can have more than one resume version, one for each type of end user -

hunting, fishing ?
Me too, but the HR people all seem to be sensitive ladies that get offended at that sort of thing.

In reading that, it's memorable for me because you're near me and I know where you work.
But there is nothing that catches my attention and makes you memorable.

If this is your carreer goal, then put it in the career goal section
shop supervisory or machine repair\retrofit direction.

Show some effort to learn supervisory skills - try some business courses at conestoga - try taking the
Part Time Leadership Development Series Continuing Education Program & Courses | Ontario | Conestoga College

Part Time Human Resources Management Continuing Education Program & Courses | Ontario | Conestoga College

Steven,

Thanks for your input.
I understand your thinking with regards to the hunting and fishing. Those items are included in my hobbies because its who I am, aside from being a machinist. it also serves as a disclaimer that I will be requiring time off :)

May I ask were you were working before retirement? I'am also a bit of a steam buff. Built a few myself. Blyth isn't far away for me!
I am going to be looking into the courses at Conestoga. Thanks for the reminder.

Cheers

I know this isn't your final resume...and I'm glad you cared enough to post it for review. I won't sugarcoat my opinion...lol:

If we're looking for to fill a position where attention to detail and accuracy are paramount, your formatting, punctuation, spelling, etc. better be on point. Your resume is a representative of yourself, and if it is sloppy...then your work is surely sloppy. I get that no machine shop is hiring high school English teachers, but in this world a SINGLE MISSED DECIMAL can cause tens of thousands of dollars in damage. You have plenty of time to get it proofed before sending it. Also, fluff puts me off real quick...it labels the applicant as a bullshitter. (you have too much fluff...kill the wordiness and put only information that matters)

-your career goal is to "expand your knowlege?" lol...right.
-is it moldmaker or mouldmaker?
-drop the statement about 85% on the exam...just say that you have the certification (unless you're looking for "B" compensation)
-drop hobbies and interest
-punctuation and formatting could be improved. It isn't so bad that I would toss your resume, but a similar resume with proper (and more consistent) punctuation would easily get the interview over you.

I get that no machine shop is hiring high school English teachers, but in this world a SINGLE MISSED DECIMAL can cause tens of thousands of dollars in damage.

-drop hobbies and interest

Well put.
And thank God for spell check!
Be sure to use it.

I have a last name that's also in the name of my business.
It's perpetually misspelled. Sometimes resumes come in the mail with one or the other, or both misspelled. Sometimes my name is spelled correct but the company name is misspelled. WTF??
I figure if someone's looking for a job, right off the bat they should make damn sure to get the name's spelled right.
And if they don't, their envelope goes right in the trash can.

I do think hobbies are good to include. Can make for some small talk and serve as an ice breaker in conversation. Can also describe the level of self thinking the applicant possesses.

I 100% agree with the suggestion to drop hobbies and interests. Discussing those is best left to when and if the question is asked in a face to face interview. Even then you might not mention hunting and fishing unless the person you are talking to is also interested. Too many people view them as cruelty to animals and if the hunting involves GUNS, then OMG you must be a potential mass murderer! This is the unfortunate consequence of our all-pervasive mass media and their relentless campaigns against what used to be common activities.

I didn't see a job title such as Tool & Die Maker under your contact info which is very important when people unfamiliar with the technical details search using keywords, which is how most early resume screening gets done.

I agree withe the suggestion to drop "Able to" and "Experienced in" (or with) and just say "Micro TIG weld...", "Program and operate", etc.

I'll leave it to the toolmakers to critique, but make sure that the most important skills are listed first as the human looking through the possibles pile will be quickly scanning top to bottom on the first cut.

It looks like a pretty good resume and the only other suggestion I have is to modify the career goals to include what you will do for the employer, something like "To expand my knowledge as a multi-skilled tradesman while performing top quality work in a timely manner". They want to know what you can do for them, not just what they can do for you.

It seems you have a lot of skills and I wish you good luck in your quest.

Just a piece of advice for those who are in doubts. Before applying for an apprenticeship, be sure you did the following thoroughly:

read the common and uncommon interview questions for a Machinist Apprentice;
don't be lazy to write several resume variants (check VelvetJobs > Machinist Apprentice Resume Samples);
don't be afraid to ask for an advice or resume revisions:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/career-opportunities-wanted/critique-no-experience-shop-just-graduated-school-resume-reviews

Back