What's new
What's new

Machinist Apprenticeship in NYC?

JethroAngelo

Plastic
Hello, sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum. I'm a TIG welder looking to get into Machining. Does anyone know about any training or apprenticeship opportunities around the Bronx, NY area? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum. I'm a TIG welder looking to get into Machining. Does anyone know about any training or apprenticeship opportunities around the Bronx, NY area? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
many colleges offer night school machining courses as well as school during the day. they often have a degree program like associates degree. they often have a job posting board where local manufacturers have job postings.
big companies that used to run apprentice programs often just have a local college do the training now. cause when times are slow often the big company that had a dedicated building for training there might be few if any students during slow years. they just use the college as needed.
some unions have apprenticeship training and some companies still have apprenticeship training but with a college as you get a degree its more universally recognized.
often you have to ask other people. networking is where somebody recommends you for a job. sometimes through school sometimes by somebody you know like a uncle. it can be hard to get in a union unless you know somebody
sad thing is many companies offer a $1000 bonus for any employee who recommends somebody for a job (already trained) and complains they cannot find enough people. many companies are really delaying training new people.

many colleges offer night school machining courses as well as school during the day. they often have a degree program like associates degree. they often have a job posting board where local manufacturers have job postings.
big companies that used to run apprentice programs often just have a local college do the training now. cause when times are slow often the big company that had a dedicated building for training there might be few if any students during slow years. they just use the college as needed.
some unions have apprenticeship training and some companies still have apprenticeship training but with a college as you get a degree its more universally recognized.
often you have to ask other people. networking is where somebody recommends you for a job. sometimes through school sometimes by somebody you know like a uncle. it can be hard to get in a union unless you know somebody
sad thing is many companies offer a $1000 bonus for any employee who recommends somebody for a job (already trained) and complains they cannot find enough people. many companies are really delaying training new people.

Thanks for the info Tom, you’re right it’s really tough to find training at jobs,I’ve checked schools around my area but they mostly teach just crash courses on CAD. Again thanks so much.

Are you still looking for an opportunity? Our opening is flexible for apprenticeship if you can commute to NJ. Email your cover letter and resume to info[at]m4machine[dot]com

QT:[commute to NJ.].... better to move to NJ

Nj to Bronx about $21 in road and bridge fees the way I last went...Go figure how can a guy/gall afford that everyday? actually went to Rockaway so had the Marine Parkway bridge fee also..

Still good to be entry level in the machine trade with taking classes on the side..the big /best shops like one who is doing that..

Hello,

I worked for Anheuser-Busch in Newark (after I graduated from The Maricopa County Community College, the Machine Technology program - https://www.mesacc.edu/programs/machinist-technology-apprenticeship-programs-and-reviews), but I had to commute and it drove me crazy (I'm not that type of a person). They are looking for a full-time apprentice now, as far as I know. Boasting part: it was my first day this month as an apprentice at VIAVI Solutions Inc in New York.

Hello,

I worked for Anheuser-Busch in Newark (after I graduated from The Maricopa County Community College, the Machine Technology program - https://www.mesacc.edu/programs/machinist-technology-apprenticeship-programs-and-reviews), but I had to commute and it drove me crazy (I'm not that type of a person). They are looking for a full-time apprentice now, as far as I know. Boasting part: it was my first day this month as an apprentice at VIAVI Solutions Inc in New York.

Congratulations and welcome to the board!

Brent

Back