What's new
What's new

*Moving - Looking For An East TN Shop*

whiplash473

Plastic
Hi, I've searched these forums plenty of times but finally decided to make an account. I thought this would be a good place to help me narrow down a location to which the wife and I can move. We are looking to move to the general Knoxville area and when coming from a different state, looking for a job can be intimidating. She is a nurse so for her to find a hospital is much easier than me finding a shop. We have friends in the Nashville area but not knowing anybody in Knoxville or surrounding areas makes it tough. I've used Google to search online for shops but getting insight from other tool makers is something that Google, obviously, doesn't offer.

I'm a plastic injection mold maker. I do not want to work in a molding house (been there, done that, not my thing.) I have an old-school background in the trade but have been at a much more modern shop for a while now. I'm very good at grinding and milling, I have many sinker EDM hours under my belt but am a long way off from being good at it. I do not know wire machines at all (always willing to learn). I know a fair amount of the computer side of things (good at Solidworks, creating tool paths, etc.) but at this point in time am more proficient in running manual and NC machines. Looking for a high precision shop. I'm tired of hearing "if it's within a couple thou, it's fine" from the shops that I've worked at.

I know it's a lot of information but I figured I'd provide it up front to avoid the back and forth question and answer posts. I'm 29, newly married, .5 kids, and am looking to move south of the Dixon line as the wife wants to be closer to where she came from and I've had more than my share of 29yrs in Illinois. I appreciate any input and/or advice.

Thanks,

Tyler

I'm 29, newly married, .5 kids, and am looking to move south of the Dixon line as the wife wants to be closer to where she came from and I've had more than my share of 29yrs in Illinois. I appreciate any input and/or advice.

Thanks,

Tyler

Search TVA's Power Service Shops, that would be your best long term, good paying job in the area. You may need a degree or certificate, start as a landscaper/janitor whatever if you have to just hire on, then apply for open jobs.
Good luck with your move.

Back