What's new
What's new

Rebuilding industrial assemblies/components: a business model?

ImpovMach

Plastic
I want to start a business and, to be honest, I have not worked in manufacturing for awhile.

But, I have always been VERY skilled with maintaining, repairing and overhauling machinery of nearly all kinds. In fact, I've successfully run my own small engine equipment & repair business in the past. Plus, I have successfully restored machines to reliable, heavy-duty service, ranging from household appliances to tractors.

AND, I want to help manufacturers here in America operate more efficiently :)

The business idea I'm toying with is a very vague hypothetical one, and I'm wondering if you could help me flesh it out?

My idea is to clean and rebuild industrial machinery assemblies or components that:

(1. Wear out quickly, and so they are...

(2. Frequently replaced with new ones, but could be replaced with rebuilt/reconditioned ones, if only...

(3. There was somebody to supply them (me!), as long as they...

(4. Can be shipped via UPS/weigh less than 100lb, and...

(5. Are more cheaply rebuilt outside outside the factory or shop than they could be in-house.

I'd appreciate any brainstorming or advice you'd like to offer here!

So, what do you think?

Is this an impossible pipe dream, or the beginning of a remanufacturing business idea? :confused:

Wow; 2 weeks and 236 views later...and nobody has any comments? :toetap:

"Can be shipped via UPS/weigh less than 100lb, and.."

Narrowed it down to motors/controllers/small spindles, basically component level. Hundreds of vendors for that sort of work, sorry, I got nothing short of complete rebuild/update good older machines and even that is a well served market, but I could be wrong.

My idea is to clean and rebuild industrial machinery assemblies or components that:

(1. Wear out quickly, and so they are...

(2. Frequently replaced with new ones, but could be replaced with rebuilt/reconditioned ones, if only...

(3. There was somebody to supply them (me!), as long as they...

(4. Can be shipped via UPS/weigh less than 100lb, and...

(5. Are more cheaply rebuilt outside outside the factory or shop than they could be in-house.

So things like:
Motors
Endmills
Bearings
Pneumatic/Hydraulic components
Pumps
Saw blades
Sensing elements
etc.
etc.

There's a big difference between the inside of a shop that does tool grinding, motor repair, hydraulics, or instrument calibration. If you can afford to amass all that tooling, become nothing short of expert on all of it, plus convince the local market that you're better than the place across town they've been dealing with for 40+ years (and can beat them, or the counter/online store on pricing and turnaround), then you've got yourself something I might invest in.

Otherwise, you may want to narrow your field a little. Many businesses operate on your exact model, it's nothing new, but they typically are very, very good at a small selection of specialized tasks.

That is pretty much my line of work. However my inside or little corner or the world I live in is : My biggest customer is one that works inside a armed, guarded, and pretty much closed off to most people world. Having been a worker there in the past I have clearance to be inside. The other ace in my hand is the fact that I have found ways to repair some parts and assembles on there custom built machines and offer the company rebuilt parts at half cost or better.

You need to find a product that you can repair / rebuild at a savings for a company that is not yet having it repaired / rebuilt Or having it done but with crappy results. Then step in, offer your services, Once you get a chance you need to knock there socks off with service, quality, and savings.

just my 2 cents.

Back