What's new
What's new

Slightly experienced machinist seeking employment

danielp3344

Plastic
I have about a year of machining experience, mostly CNC milling but also some manual milling and turning, programming, inspection and etc. Looking for a position with room to grow and learn new things. No defense or aerospace stuff. Ideally near Bel Air, MD, but would relocate for the right opportunity. PM me. :D

The OP might have scruples, or just want a stable working environment. Anyway, he's looking for a job, if ya got one, pm him.

Well with that attitude he might as well add medical, most job shops, and anything with more than 1 employee lol.

He needs to try indeed, linked in, monster, and sites like that. Post your resume and see who bites.

Just a bit of info, I'm in the biggest company I've worked for yet (about 800 people between 5 shifts, at our facility). It's in aerospace, it's a foundry, and while there is corporate bs, that's mainly what it is, bs. It's also the most stable place I've worked at in over 15 years. No layoffs, even during covid. Bonuses and a raise, albit fairly small, even during covid. I deal with everyone from production floor people, to maintenance, engineering management. While some are tools most are easy to work and get along with.

All I'm saying is before you even start, you are ruling entire industries out. Beggars can't be choosers in this day and age.

If money isn't an issue, contact some job shops, and tell them you are willing to work for minimum wage. Do the same for some industrial manufacturing companies. I'm sure you have plenty of places to pick from then.

If I was motivated only by money I think I'd be in a different field. Ruling out defense and aerospace removes most of the slimiest entities I wouldn't want anything to do with anyway.

Wow....doo you realize "aerospace" involves civilian work ?....:nutter:

Wow....doo you realize "aerospace" involves civilian work ?....:nutter:

Yes, otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned it separately. I worked at a shop that made a ton of aerospace parts before. In my experience the vast majority of aerospace parts are either A: made by civilian companies to be sold to the government directly or B: sold to other civilian companies that are basically government puppets. Honestly maybe I should have ruled out medical devices too but I've really had very little contact with that.

Really I just want a job where I don't feel like I'm actively making the world a worse place to live. Before I started machining I wanted to be an engineer but I kinda saw all the same problems there only worse, most companies doing really cool stuff suck. :sulk:

there was a listing here not so long ago about a university looking for a machinist, that might be one option, because medical, with all their recent activities, might fall right into the "defence" and aerospace category from your (and not yours alone) POV

If you don't like the military feel free to move to a country that doesn't have one.

Being only 25 miles out of Baltimore I would guess there are 50 decent jobs within an hour's drive. A lot of shops don't advertise help wanted anymore because of a lot of reasons.
The best/good way to get a job is to knock on doors. You pick an industrial highway and walk-in. You don't ask if they are hiring but ask to talk to the foreman/manager or owner. Then you lay your cards on the table. First off the interviewer will think this guy is out of work because he is a bum/got fired/is a poor worker/ is a good guy out of work. That you are working to seek a job is a plus. Can you get a letter from your last job? Shop owners watch out for each other and do call the other shop and ask if a guy /gal is an Ok worker. Not having a letter, then that is your first goal. You may have to take the $12 an hour job and tow-the-mark for a year to get that letter. Some owners/bosses don't want to writes a letter or tell you that because you don't merit one/good to ask that kind of person, So leaving a Job ask -> "Can I ask my next job application call you for a reference?"

QT: [No defense or aerospace stuff...] that statement put a dent/question in your chances because a machinist makes parts, not policies. Shops don't want attitude people, if a bad history, what? Politics, religion, opinions, discrimination are on-you-own-time not on clock time subjects/ not even on lunchtime. Making parts is the only subject on clock time or on shop property. The best workers spend very little time chatter boxing.

Your request here should add I am currently working, or not. (lay your cards on the table)

"I can be here on time every day, I don't have any bad habits, can turn a lathe thread, run a mill, read a print, push a broom."

You should have a basic/minimum toolbox, 1" micrometer, 6 or 8" digital caliper, some 6" C clamps, a combination square set, small solid square, a few parallels, 60* fish, yoyo, 12" adjustable wrench, pocket scale, set of thread wires, your own drill tap chart, machinist pocket guide. bargain brands Ok to start.

If you can never get a good letter or a verbal recommendation then your poor habits put you in the category that offers lower pay and fewer jobs, that is your choice.

Samples of your workmanship might help. Any shops doing apprenticeships anymore? Also, because of legal issues, more companies will not provide a recommendation, plus or minus, they will just confirm that she/he worked here.

Tom

if your still working at a shop when you give notice that your leaving don't give the boss an ear full of your view of how screwed up the company is. I worked for four companies before retiring. Two of those companies I returned to get my job back and was happy to get my job back. Don't burn bridges
Although when I quit I was so angry and was sick of this screwed up company. The issue with the things that were screwed up with the company was actually ME getting too caught up with issues that really weren't that bad.
Don't over analyze the company. Analyze the part your making and look at how to get better at the job.

Don't be the guy that works for 45 years and goes to work everyday hating your job but on the other hand don't quit every year looking for the perfect job. There is no perfect job

Good luck in your job search and sorry about giving you an earful of maybe unwanted advise.

Look at your job request. Your putting conditions on taking a job. With one years experience that appears errogant.

If you dont want to make bomb parts that's fine but ask what kind of work a company does during an interview or google the company and most would post their product line.
Also read and think about some of what other forum members posted here. 500 years of experience on this forum.

I would love to start over and get another 45 years knowing what I know now.

Defense and aerospace are necessary evel's in this world. Aerospace not all defense related

Ha, Sounds like OP wants a job in a solar powered shop making carbon neutral bongs on a manual B-port with a granola dispenser... Wow, really don't come across a lot of people (sorry don't know your pronouns) that have that outlook in this industry... Me, I'm an Evil black gun maker and love every minute of it

Well with that attitude he might as well add medical, most job shops, and anything with more than 1 employee lol.

He wants what he wants. It's presumptuous to assume otherwise, or maybe assumptuous.
All I'm saying is before you even start, you are ruling entire industries out. Beggars can't be choosers in this day and age.

Well yes, they are. And we are all choosers. I chose to be a machinist and work as a machinist, from home, in Vermont rather than hustle my ass on the streets of (substitute any city name here).

Why can't they work where they want? Feel free to limit your own behavior, but is there some reason to limit others behavior?

" wants a job in a solar powered shop making carbon neutral bongs on a manual B-port with a granola dispenser."

Sounds like you have a REAL big chip on your shoulder.

Back