What's new
What's new

City of Tacoma Hydroelectric Project Mechanic

Gos

Aluminum
FYI,
The city of Tacoma is now accepting applications for Hydroelectric Project Mechanics. See posting link below. They like to hire Maintenance Machinist, or old school tool and die folks, not operators. Starting wage is $44.73 and they supply all your tools. It's looking like there are two or three openings.
Nothing ventured nothing gained!

Job Opportunities | City of Tacoma Employment

Think they'd take an old guy ? Part-time ? for cash ? :D
If I was younger I would be all over this. Openings come by retirements- once you're in, you stay. Cush job, great pay and bennies.

I know that power station. I used to know the operator and I toured it some years back, crawled around on the generators, etc. Generators hardly ever run, because they don't need the power. Ride a tram down the face of the dam to the power station. Giant 42" diameter needle valve poking through the bottom of the dam, looks just like the one on a carburetor, only huge. 5 foot wide butterfy valves in the tunnel feeding the turbines. The field windings are 1/2" square strips of solid silver, each on bent into their position by hand. Do that today....

The only change to the original design was that it only used 2 brushes on the commutators instead of the original 5, due to improvements in carbon brush designs. The whole thing is straight out of Tesla's patent from 1890 or something like that. Everything about it is just freaking cool.

You'd live in Hoodsport, right on Hood Canal- beautiful spot on the Olympic Peninsula, no traffic, very few people. Scube diving, boating, you're right at the entry of the Olympic National Forest.

The posting has been upgraded to include the Cowlitz River Project too. Might be a third opening in a couple of years, as the workforce ages.

Back