What's new
What's new

Getting ready to retire and sell my shop.

gundog

Hot Rolled
I have a small shop with a Sharp VMC 2016 size, CNC router with a 15 place rack type tool changer 75" travel in X, 125" Y travel & 16" in Z. 1997 Trak DPM with AGE3 control and all the support equipment to run the business. I make parts for a hobby type business. Willing to sell with or without the machinery. The router and VMC are both 2014 year models.

The business has a very good reputation for quality and customer support. I really don't want to publish my business name or any financials online. I will say it has been a great income for a one man shop. I can finance for the right person with good credit. I had it sold a couple months ago to a guy who claimed to have good credit. I pulled his credit and it was a mess so if that is you and you need financing you are not the guy. I can do training if needed. I have 2 US patents and over 100 different products.

This would be a great opportunity to the right person if the products for this business were marketed and sale calls made the business could easily be tripled. Why don't I do that? I want to retire I have a retirement and do not want to hire personnel and build the business at this point in my life. Business is located in WA State but could be moved.

This might work well for a shop owner who could use more work and wants their own product line.

No I don't want a shop to do the work for me. If you have interest please send me a PM.
Mike

Id jump on this in a heartbeat but working on building credit history. Best of luck.

Just to be clear I do not make gun parts I have had people ask and I know that can be a sticky situation. I would also prefer someone closer to me unless you are a cash buyer.

Unfortunately, due to the pandemic it has become much more difficult to run a profitable business, I hope you will succeed.

I have had my best year ever in 2020 and so far 2021 is doing very well.

I'm in the same boat as you. 2020 kicked ass. 2021 is starting off the same.
I would also sell the shop turn-key for the right offer! LOL

Best of luck to you. I hope you find a solid buyer.

Best of luck. just on a side note. I think it would be helpful if you at least listed the state you are located. Your profile says you are located in the USA. Someone interested who is living on the Gulf Coast isn't going to want to relocate to Buffalo New York... Or vice versa... Or wherever.

Good luck with the sale.

Best of luck. just on a side note. I think it would be helpful if you at least listed the state you are located. Your profile says you are located in the USA. Someone interested who is living on the Gulf Coast isn't going to want to relocate to Buffalo New York... Or vice versa... Or wherever.

Good luck with the sale.

Did you even read the original post? If you did? You may want to try again...............

And I did read it again. Okay. WA state.
I’m guessing the two letter abbreviation is why I missed it. Anyway, I’m at a loss as to why some don’t put their location. Hell, even Upper West Coast would be helpful. Let’s face it, anyone wanting to buy a business is going to want at least a month or two of transition and training from the owner. Can’t really do that on the phone. So businesses are local when considering buying/selling in my opinion. If you really want a sale, put your location in your name. Even Washington State is a big place. Depending on ones age, most established people probably don’t want to move 300 miles away

And I did read it again. Okay. WA state.
I’m guessing the two letter abbreviation is why I missed it. Anyway, I’m at a loss as to why some don’t put their location. Hell, even Upper West Coast would be helpful. Let’s face it, anyone wanting to buy a business is going to want at least a month or two of transition and training from the owner. Can’t really do that on the phone. So businesses are local when considering buying/selling in my opinion. If you really want a sale, put your location in your name. Even Washington State is a big place. Depending on ones age, most established people probably don’t want to move 300 miles away

Yup. As if this big crowd imagines themselves members of the witness protection program. Or whatever.

Yup. As if this big crowd imagines themselves members of the witness protection program. Or whatever.

I am in Washington State I figure if someone is interested they will contact me. Pin pointing my exact location could possibly hurt my business. I do not want the fact I am selling my business to be public knowledge. My profile had the state and city listed when I posted this I removed that information for the time being.

Just a side note. I started my business when I was 21 years old. Every time I think back about it.... I’m kind of dumbfounded. I truly don’t have a clue as to how I survived for 15 years until the day I was severely injured on the job.
But, that’s not the point of this post. Two things come to mind. First, I was too big headed and overly confident to the point that I was convinced that college had nothing to offer. If I had to do it over again... First thing I would want to do is to take some business management courses. That was a huge shortcoming of my business. The hands on repair part of business was easy for me. But the paperwork was my downfall. If I even had access to the online courses on the net... which are now widely available ... I’d probably have made 3 times the money.

My other downfall was I had that anal attitude that I had to personally be a part of every repair. Anyway, that’s another one of those things they teach you in business school.

But, my main point is that business 101 tells you that buying a business is a much easier and better route than trying to start your own business. In most cases, you come out way ahead. Buy someone’s business because the owners retiring, and keep everything the same at first. Don’t even change the name. You can always add to the going business that you just bought.

Anyway, good luck Gundog.

Maybe list an asking price so people even know if it is in the realm of financial possibility?

Also giving some material types and rough sizes of what you make would help too. Do you need all of the 125" of router travel, or could the products be made on a Brother CNC?

Maybe list an asking price so people even know if it is in the realm of financial possibility?

Also giving some material types and rough sizes of what you make would help too. Do you need all of the 125" of router travel, or could the products be made on a Brother CNC?

I machine aluminum & plastic the 125" of travel is needed. Most of the aluminum parts I do could be done on the Brother but the plastic parts are held on a large vacuum table with the router and also some long aluminum parts are drilled and countersunk for flat head machine screws on the router.

Those long aluminum parts range in length from 3' to 10' and there is a dedicated fixture permanently mounted to the router to hold multiple parts. The vacuum zone holds a 54" x 96" sheet of plastic. There are other fixtures that clamp to an aluminum table on the same machine. The router was configured for parts I make.

The table of the router has an L shaped section with clamping extrusions in an L shape that surrounds the vacuum area on 2 sides. The dedicated fixture for the long aluminum parts runs parallel to the long side of the vacuum zone. This also gives a very large approximately 54" x 24" area that can be used with other fixtures. It is very easy to operate with all of the zero positions stored to go from one dedicated area to another.

Back