What's new
What's new

Hiring CNC Programmer + Operator ($32/hour - Full Time / Full Benefits)

WMW@PDX

Plastic
We are immediately hiring for a full-time CNC Programmer + Operator at our Portland, Oregon shop. Compensation includes $32/hour pay, full health and insurance benefits. You'll be working on a variety of projects, custom equipment, and precision parts. Check out the job details on our website: CNC MACHINIST JOB OPENING | Western Machine Works

Benefits include:
  • Wage $24 to $32 hour depending on experience.
  • Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance.
  • Life, Long Term, and Short Term Disability Insurance.
  • Education Reimbursement.
  • 401K Retirement Plan.
  • Yearly Bonus Plan.
  • Paid Holidays and Vacation.
  • Overtime Pay (above the 8 hrs./day regular schedule).

Requirements:
  • 3+ years experience programming and running CNC lathes.
  • Experience with Siemens Shopturn controls preferred but not required.
  • Job will entail approximately 75% CNC work and 25% manual machine work.
  • Knowledge of machining procedures for mild steel, alloy steel, stainless steel, cast iron and bronze.
  • Expert use of tools appropriate for metalworking trade required.
    The company provides the precision measuring equipment and specialty tools.
  • Strong communication skills.
  • Ability to work off of prints and/or written / verbal instructions.

To apply: Email [email protected] and submit your resume. Visit our website: Equipment Service, Repair & Manufacturing | Western Machine Works

About Western Machine Works, LLC

Western Machine Works helps companies improve production efficiency by providing engineering and precision machine shop services that are specialized in the design and repair of precision components, including shafts and rolls.

Our team of engineers, technicians, and project managers are skilled at what they do and are great people to work with. Founded in 1985, Western Machine Works in Portland, Oregon is well respected in the industry for doing quality honest work. We treat our employees as well as we treat our customers

Last edited:
Does anyone have suggestions how we can make our job offer better? Is there anything missing or anything we need to be offering, but currently don't? Looking forward to your ideas.

Thank you.

Offer a couple paid weeks a year for rioting. We'll call it Riot Time Pay.

Free uniforms and masks, all Black of course.

Offer to match dollar for dollar on bail money.

And maybe a 2 year supply of blue hair dye as a sign on bonus.

Does anyone have suggestions how we can make our job offer better? Is there anything missing or anything we need to be offering, but currently don't? Looking forward to your ideas.

Thank you.

Looks like you do the exact same work as Continental Field Systems in Georgia just on a slightly smaller scale. Pay looks OK benefits are decent, Location is probably why you’re not getting any candidates. I'm in SE Asia and can't turn on the Asian news stations without seeing something bad going on in Portland. It looks like you have a nice shop and good equipment. Maybe offer a sign on bonus with relocation?

When Continental picked me up in 08 it was in the mid $30's per hour with the same (Anything over 8 hours per day is OT). $5K sign on paid after 90 days and they put me up in a Marriott Courtyard apartment for two months while I bought a house.

Offer something like that plus small things such as use of company vehicle, Access to shop equipment for personal use, Just small things like that. If the CNC is just 2 axis lathe with shop turn you should be able to get a co-op kid out of a trade school. That setup doesn't get any easier, even on Mazatrol.

Does anyone have suggestions how we can make our job offer better?
I'd apply in a heartbeat but if you're smart you wouldn't want me :) Sounds really good to me, not like the usual bs advertisement, no idea why you aren't getting a better response.

p.s., imo negativity about Portland shouldn't be a factor. Machine shops are always on the wrong side of town, that's part of their charm. Only Rosie Grier wants to make a career out of crocheting :)

I'd apply in a heartbeat but if you're smart you wouldn't want me :) Sounds really good to me, not like the usual bs advertisement, no idea why you aren't getting a better response.

p.s., imo negativity about Portland shouldn't be a factor. Machine shops are always on the wrong side of town, that's part of their charm. Only Rosie Grier wants to make a career out of crocheting :)

Thank you for your response. Portland continues to be a good place to live.

Looks like you do the exact same work as Continental Field Systems in Georgia just on a slightly smaller scale. Pay looks OK benefits are decent, Location is probably why you’re not getting any candidates. I'm in SE Asia and can't turn on the Asian news stations without seeing something bad going on in Portland. It looks like you have a nice shop and good equipment. Maybe offer a sign on bonus with relocation?

When Continental picked me up in 08 it was in the mid $30's per hour with the same (Anything over 8 hours per day is OT). $5K sign on paid after 90 days and they put me up in a Marriott Courtyard apartment for two months while I bought a house.

Offer something like that plus small things such as use of company vehicle, Access to shop equipment for personal use, Just small things like that. If the CNC is just 2 axis lathe with shop turn you should be able to get a co-op kid out of a trade school. That setup doesn't get any easier, even on Mazatrol.

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll discuss them with our hiring team.

Was in Portland ten years ago and liked it. I would go back again no problem.
The education reimbursement looks good, you always need to keep up to speed with technology.

Was in Portland ten years ago and liked it. I would go back again no problem.
The education reimbursement looks good, you always need to keep up to speed with technology.

Thanks for your response. Totally agree about keeping up to speed with technology advancements.

We are immediately hiring for a full-time CNC Programmer + Operator at our Portland, Oregon shop. Compensation includes $32/hour pay, full health and insurance benefits. You'll be working on a variety of projects, custom equipment, and precision parts. Check out the job details on our website: CNC MACHINIST JOB OPENING | Western Machine Works

Benefits include:
  • Wage $24 to $32 hour depending on experience.
  • Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance.
  • Life, Long Term, and Short Term Disability Insurance.
  • Education Reimbursement.
  • 401K Retirement Plan.
  • Yearly Bonus Plan.
  • Paid Holidays and Vacation.
  • Overtime Pay (above the 8 hrs./day regular schedule).

Requirements:
  • 3+ years experience programming and running CNC lathes.
  • Experience with Siemens Shopturn controls preferred but not required.
  • Job will entail approximately 75% CNC work and 25% manual machine work.
  • Knowledge of machining procedures for mild steel, alloy steel, stainless steel, cast iron and bronze.
  • Expert use of tools appropriate for metalworking trade required.
    The company provides the precision measuring equipment and specialty tools.
  • Strong communication skills.
  • Ability to work off of prints and/or written / verbal instructions.

To apply: Email [email protected] and submit your resume. Visit our website: Equipment Service, Repair & Manufacturing | Western Machine Works

About Western Machine Works, LLC

Western Machine Works helps companies improve production efficiency by providing engineering and precision machine shop services that are specialized in the design and repair of precision components, including shafts and rolls.

Our team of engineers, technicians, and project managers are skilled at what they do and are great people to work with. Founded in 1985, Western Machine Works in Portland, Oregon is well respected in the industry for doing quality honest work. We treat our employees as well as we treat our customers

Hi all,

I hope you don't mind helping out by answering this question-- where and how would you search for a new job opportunity? It's been very challenging finding quality candidates. 'Would really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Hi all,

I hope you don't mind helping out by answering this question-- where and how would you search for a new job opportunity? It's been very challenging finding quality candidates. 'Would really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

To answer your question, the person you are looking for is not looking for a job. Not being a smart ass, just the truth. If they are not currently employed, there is a reason for that. And if they are employed and looking for another job, they will be doing the same in a matter of time. Most I know that are actually have knowledge, already know where they could walk in tomorrow and have another job, so not looking.

To answer your question, the person you are looking for is not looking for a job.
Maybe they'd like to move, though. Have you ever been to Portland ? Right on the ocean and the Columbia river, mountains, clean air, no earthquakes, fishing crabbing shrimping ... lots of outdoor stuff to do. And it's home base for the 4449, a guy could volunteer :)

Maybe put more of that stuff in the advertisement ?

Maybe they'd like to move, though. Have you ever been to Portland ? Right on the ocean and the Columbia river, mountains, clean air, no earthquakes, fishing crabbing shrimping ... lots of outdoor stuff to do. And it's home base for the 4449, a guy could volunteer :)

Earthquakes? How about above 9.0 due any time now. Not by the ocean and don't forget the volcanoes.

I don't doubt that at all. I answered the question that was asked:

"where and how would you search for a new job opportunity?"

I am not saying it is a terrible place or anything like that, just answering with the truth as I see it. The person they are looking for is not looking. The only reason I looked at this thread is because they actually put in a pay range and I wanted to see what they are looking for.

Get those welding pictures off your home page. Welding shops are nasty dirty, and if I'm looking for a CNC programmer job I don't want the thing my new company is most proud of to be thermal spray welding.

That's some large work. Not for everyone.

Job listing is fine. I would consider it if I lived in the area.

My opinion, the guy your looking for if employed and window shopping, wants more of something.

That could be anything from: Money, PTO, use of equipment, benefits etc....

You're probably going to have to offer a premium or go to a trade school.

You've already got a good advertisement, just adjust it a little or think outside of the box on benefits..

Back