Instrument Maker - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Evenglischatiest View Post
    ...Of course, the underlying problem is that we've gone almost 2 generations without training enough machinists. We're running out of skilled labor, while the job gets more complex by the day. That's why I tell anyone who'll listen that we need to find smart kids who don't like school, and train them in the shop. For my part, I have an apprentice right now. We need to go back to a time when almost every shop could say that...
    Boy is that ever true! And I think it applies just about everywhere in North America. Our education system has
    failed us. For the best part of a generation we've stopped exposing young people to the "hands on" activities
    that are needed to actually make things. We've emphasized the design and engineering side of things while
    forgetting that you can have all the engineers and architects in the world but if you don't have people to perform
    the skilled tasks that are required to build all those things you're dead in the water...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Paul,

Trying to send you a pm, but your mailbox is full. Would you empty some space? Or you can email me from the contacts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A degree is not required. There was a different job I posted in the Engineering Dept. That was my position before I moved to physics. As far as I know that one is still open to. We do get to see all the resumes, but HR does stuff like reject ones that don't have, for example "CNC" in the resume or cover letter. We might be able to override that if we think the person looks good otherwise. Thanks for all the interest guys.