What's new
What's new

Machine Shop Supervisor – Fort Lewis College, Durango, CO

pdleahy

Plastic
Machine Shop Supervisor – Fort Lewis College Physics and Engineering Department, Durango, CO

Duties include supervision of students, training, maintenance and safety. Requires proficiency with common machines and tools including manual mill and lathe and ability to develop proficiency with CNC machines. Annual salary of $36,000 plus a comprehensive benefits package for 9.6 months (0.8 FTE). For full details visit: Exempt Positions | Fort Lewis College Jobs

That would be supervising students, who can be a frustrating combination of arrogant (remember, to them you're blue-collar) and mechanically inept. That pay rate is typical for out West. The thing to watch out for is that some of these Podunk colleges only offer a year-to-year employment contract. And if they have an annually reviewed budget for equipment they probably can't afford modern CNCs.

It's interesting that they are advertising a teacher's position as "Machine Shop Supervisor". No teachers dumb enough to want this position? Or are there no more teachers?

Probably not the actual teacher, just the tech guy in the shop to keep students from wrecking equip or killing themselves/each other. On of my buddies here has such a position.

That would be "herding cats".
Seeing how $36k would be $18 an hour for a 2000 hour year, it's quite low.

What are you supposed to do for the other 2.7 months ?

More likely no faculty with the skills or time to do this job. It's a "keep the machines running and the students safe" kind of job. I'm sure there would be lots of small group and one on one instruction but no lecturing or curriculum development.

I did a somewhat similar job at a community college for less pay actually. Helping students try and create the things they have designed can be rewarding. I found it fairly low stress and really liked having summers off.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I volunteered at the High school in my town when the instructor had a heart attack a month before the end of the year. That had to have been the most stressful job my life. I thought I had seen it all in my shop but students are not getting paid and have no respect for the equipment. I had 1 kid put the vice handle on the drawbar and jog on and off switch to tighten the collet. Onother shoved a shaft in a sweet south bend lathe to scotchbrite it, didn’t center drill it just shoved the end inside the tailstock taper. Impact guns everywhere, open/close vices, Open and close the chucks on lathes. Had a nice 36 inch Cincinnati shaper and they would see who would leave their hand in front of the stroke till the last second. I pulled the wires from the box on it then the principle chewed me out for disabling equipment . Dykem mixed with KY jelly on everything I touched. Needless to say I didn’t make it till the end of the school year. $36k would not get me in there for a semester much less 10 months.

Back